Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a cat delete and noticed a lot of rust on the turbo. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wow, not sure if normal but mine was more of just carbon black. Hows it run? Any hesitations at idle or full throttle

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
I was installing a cat delete and noticed a lot of rust on the turbo. Is this normal or should I be concerned? View attachment 251026
Rust is caused by moisture. I put a water separator on mine and drain out a lot of moisture that would be recycled back into the turbo. It cost me 12 inches of hose and a water separator not used on my shop compressor. Yes, you can spend more money, but why.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mine looked similar at 4000 miles

·
Registered
680 Posts
Rust is caused by moisture. I put a water separator on mine and drain out a lot of moisture that would be recycled back into the turbo. It cost me 12 inches of hose and a water separator not used on my shop compressor. Yes, you can spend more money, but why.
20191017_105821.jpg

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Where does it drain from? Need clarification
Factory breather hose from the valve cover feeds back to the intake, pre turbo. Take 1 hose loose from either end and connect to the separator. Then run new 3/4 hose to the empty connector.

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ok now I understand, Thanks.
Great Ideal BTW
I live in Washington state along I-5 and ride the Oregon coast dunes, where we have our fair share of moisture. That may make a difference in the amount drained out.
It always has a gas smell, oily slipperiness and water texture. You can see the different layers in the pictures with the water on top, and full. I'm glad I have it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm here in the east and ride thru a lot of mud and water so I may make the mod on mine. I'm sure I have the parts laying around the shop that need a use lol.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm here in the east and ride thru a lot of mud and water so I may make the mod on mine. I'm sure I have the parts laying around the shop that need a use lol.
Some people pull the hose from the intake and plug the hole. Then let the hose hang to vent the valve cover to the atmosphere. I would rather have the separator inline to use the motor vacuum to pull the junk out.
From the passenger side, look towards the valve cover for a 3/4in hose, follow it to the drivers side where it connects to the intake hose. You can disconnect either hose to run to your separator, then measure how much you need to finish the connections.
I mounted my separator under the cat (gutted), pulled the hose from the intake, and hooked to the inlet of the separator. Then, I needed 1ft of 3/4 hose for the separator to the intake. Be sure to hook the valve cover hose to the inlet, and the outlet to the intake. I was surprised how much junk is caught from going back thru the turbo.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm confused, we started out trying to figure out if rust in turbo outlet is normal ? what impact a crankcase catch can would have on that would be minimal I would think, helping the intake side of the system operate cleaner I would agree with, especially if there's some blow by in the crankcase. Burning gasoline produces a lot of water , I suspect that's where the rust is coming from. I had three X3's exhaust apart they all looked similar to the photo in the first post, maybe a less democratic, might be the camera or lighting ?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm confused, we started out trying to figure out if rust in turbo outlet is normal ? what impact a crankcase catch can would have on that would be minimal I would think, helping the intake side of the system operate cleaner I would agree with, especially if there's some blow by in the crankcase. Burning gasoline produces a lot of water , I suspect that's where the rust is coming from. I had three X3's exhaust apart they all looked similar to the photo in the first post, maybe a less democratic, might be the camera or lighting ?
Can we all agree that moisture causes rust?
Combustion causes moisture.
Moisture, blow by from the crankcase, is pulled into the turbo intake.
Moisture is then pulled thru the turbo and can cause rust.
Adding a catch can, can prevent moisture, as well as rust.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I also notice these things spit a LOT of water out the exhaust on cold start ups. Rusted out the inside of my GGB exhaust in no time. Running a stainless exhaust now.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
IMO that looks like use of oxygenated fuel, it is very corrosive
and burns very clean , dont see much carbon. e85 is oxygenated but not as corrosive as fuel like q16

1 - 20 of 21 Posts