Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at buying a maverick xrs in a few days when the dealer gets them(in Canada). I've been reading about clutch and other issues, I'm just wondering if its worth it or not to buy a maverick right now, or should I wait until all the bugs are worked out? Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have 22 hard hours on mine without a single issue. Took it in to get the clutch recall taken care of this weekend. They are on it. I wouldn't wait as you can see:)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
They've been using the same clutch for years, and I doubt they're going to go to a different one. I'm finding that the best solution for the primary is to change it out for an aftermarket one. But I knew that going in. Other than that it beats the crap out of an xp or Wildcat!

·
Registered
417 Posts
so really foe a guy thats not in the dessert, mountain and trail riding, whats needed to economically make this thing reliable if BRP cant or wont do it. what will it minimally cost me

·
Registered
329 Posts
Out of maybe 1000 plus that are now out there. I have only heard of 4 or 5 with the clutch problem (including mine). I don't think you
can call that un-reliable

·
Registered
791 Posts
so really foe a guy thats not in the dessert, mountain and trail riding, whats needed to economically make this thing reliable if BRP cant or wont do it. what will it minimally cost me
My opinion from what I have seen:

Mandatory
- $850 plus tax and duty for a primary clutch, you should talk to get torqued in Edmonton
- Looks like perhaps a heat shield is needed on the front bushing of the rear upper A-Arm Drivers side

Optional but mandatory in my opinion for performance and hard riding:

-Qe diff, $1250 + tx for a brand new unit plus install, minus whatever you get for the sale of your original diff
-Power Steering to make it drivable with the QE, about $600 plus install if you want to pay someone to do it
-upgraded tie rods, If you want to do it right $500 for complete rackzilla, or what I am going to try first is use the stock system and sleeve the stock tie rods.... Have not heard of any rack failures yet.....
- sport low mod, could be done on the cheap yourself if you want, going to cost a couple hundred if you buy the professionally made one

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a lot of money to dump into one after spending 20 some thousand in the first place.. I don't plan on driving it to hard, just trail riding.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well I got the pwr steering and yes I heard good things about Get Torqued in Edmonton, I will see how the stock clutch holds up I quesse at first and if start having problems maybe take it up to the Chuck, I hope it hold up for our type of riding,

Question.... what can you do to get rid of that reverse overide switch? I would just like to tie the wires together and bury it out of sight and mind forever and place my winch switch in that spot.

Thank you for your response

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I drive as hard and fast as I can! So for the average trail rider, it's probably good as is. None have caught fire (looking at you Poolaris). It's truly an awesome machine and a rush every time I'm in it! All brands have their cvt belt problems. I'll get mine figured out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
over 500miles on mine, 0 issues. Yes I may have to buy a aftermarket clutch, IF I start having prolbems with the stock one, but the XP and wildcat also have thier share of issues and things that need to be upgraded. right now the marverick is the best starting platform of any of them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I know a few people have had some clutch issues or a-arm mounts issues but as long as you have a good dealer your machine will get fixed. I haven't heard of anyone being left out in the dry and forced to fix their own clutch.

·
Registered
468 Posts
To fix the reverse override switch issue, buy a normal rocker switch ( one that locks into position). Pull it apart and swap out the strip inside of it with the one in ur reverse overide switch. This way u get to keep ur factory switch and it now locks into position without having to hold it down. Easy 5 minute mod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright thanks guys. Makes me feel a bit better. Commander comes with 2 year warranty and maverick only has 6 months, wish it came with the 2 year also

1 - 20 of 28 Posts