Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those not familiar with the term.... "sandbagging" is used in racing to describe a situation where a competitor would purposely slow down their ride to make it appear that they are slower than expected..(sometimes by adding weight with sand bags..thus the term).....

....The specs we have been given shows the Maverick having a 5% better power to weight ratio than the RZR XP 900...while this does equate to a slight advantage in a drag race situation, I think this video shows a MUCH bigger advantage than 5%!

....it also has a 31% better ratio than the Wildcat....which brings me to the next question.... in that same race in the video above the wildcat doesnt seem to be too far behind the RZR....and the RZR is actually for a moment being caught up to by the Wildcat!.(with RZR having a 26% better power to weight ratio)..sooooo......one of 2 things seem to be happening there...the RZR is sandbagging...or the Maverick is WAY more than 101hp....I would say closer to 120hp judging by the lead over the RZR depicted in that drag race video.....of course without knowing the distance/speed achieved in the video this is all speculation.....but I think its fair to say theres more to this than meets the eye. For comparison heres a video of a stock XP(88hp) against a modded XP(100hp)...(12hp gained over stock dyno tested)....speeds were about 70mph in the video...and the power to weight ratio for the modded RZR is 7.5% better than the Maverick on paper.....so realistically the Maverick would be in between these 2 RZR's in the last video.....hmmmm

-Jack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its propaganda video you need to take into account more variables like did they race them with all the same brand and model tires. The Razr may have spun off the line more causing the wildcat to be closer.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
In all the magazine shootouts when they drag raced the xp 88hp and commander 85hp thats 100lb more they switched wins every time they raced i guess the canam must put the power to the ground better

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Dont know the kind of dyno but all four commanders were right at 62 to 63 rwhp stock and 65 to 67 with exhaust and intake mods

·
Registered
72 Posts
The new maverick really gets the power to the ground, and in the sand it's tourqe allows it to pull hard on the rzr and wildcat. The video comparison is straight up fact!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think Can am is sandbagging us as much as they are sandbagging Polaris. Everytime Can am has released a new UTV it goes up on their website. If you guys notice... the Maverick is not an official release but more of "whats coming" and is not on their website.

Only us underground people know of it. The average consumer who does not spend hours searching internet forums will never know about the Maverick until they "officially" release it. Heck, I bet some dealers don't even know about the Maverick.

Can am has learned their lesson with showing Polaris their cards to early. Can am knows that Polaris is going to release a new UTV in December/January and does not want them to "one up" them. Can am wants to have the title of "most bad ass UTV" for longer then a month this time.

I would not be surprised to see the numbers change on the Maverick after the official release of the Polaris. I would also not be surprised if the Maverick does come with power steering and Visco QE when it is released next year. Just remember guys, that everything is subject to change! It's not official until Can am says it is and it's up on their website. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, have some seat time. It's better than anything out now as the videos show. Would highly recommend a test drive which start in only 2 weeks in az.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
The Dual 02 sensors make me believe theres more power to pull out of it because Rotax motors are almost always detuned and as the Competition steps it up they can add more power easily. Just like there Seadoos.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Probably has extra keys like the Commander 101hp was on the pre release normal key and then there will be a "New kick the competitions ass key" :big smile: Performance key

1 - 17 of 17 Posts