Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my New Maverick out today to break in the motor & belt. I noticed next to the fuel filler that it states "Minimum 91 Octane fuel to maximum 95".
I have always used the highest grade (octane) available in performance vehicles .
Would 100 octane cause ang problem in these engines?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
95 ron is Canada rating not us

91 octane is all your machine needs if u want to add 1-2 gallons of 100 octane to clean it out internally after a few tanks u could I guess other wise its not needed

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Believe this or not, higher octane in a engine that does not require it will have less power, the higher the octane the slower it burns hence the need for it in a high compression engine, it slows the burn down that the high compression pistons speeds up.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
They tell us racing that the ideal octane is 95-98. But you have to understand we're dealing with a heat level a little higher than most and that's partially why we need the higher octane. I generally mix 8 gallons of 93 to 2 gallons of 110.
I really don't think you're going to lose enough power to tell but you aren't going to gain anything running 100 octane except for the smell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to everyone for your feed back, I ran it on 95 oct for its first day out, everything seemed ok. I did 60km in total and bedded the belt in with no slipping. The only time I smelt the belt slip was putting it back on the trailer, incline was steep and tyres and ramps were wet and slippery. My grey key is the performance key and the black one is the lower rated key. I notice performance had increased by approx. 10% after the 60km session. Really happy with the Maverick in general, very smooth and comfortable, good performance and I like the way it gets the useable power to the ground.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Thank you to everyone for your feed back, I ran it on 95 oct for its first day out, everything seemed ok. I did 60km in total and bedded the belt in with no slipping. The only time I smelt the belt slip was putting it back on the trailer, incline was steep and tyres and ramps were wet and slippery. My grey key is the performance key and the black one is the lower rated key. I notice performance had increased by approx. 10% after the 60km session. Really happy with the Maverick in general, very smooth and comfortable, good performance and I like the way it gets the useable power to the ground.

when loading or climbing use L gear to help with belt slip

·
Registered
93 Posts
Black key should be the performance key and Grey key limited right?? Mine is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts