Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else found the Gaia GPS app on their ipad or phone to be as amazing as I have? If so how many people would be interested in dash panels that would accommodate this set-up? I was considering making more of this panel if there would be some demand. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
got any pictures of what you had in mind?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No you don't need cell signal for it to work that is what makes it a valid option. I will post pics and screen shots later today.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
sweet!! setup for Ipad 1, 2, 3.......?

i would assume there is enough room to add a power cord and keep the ipad in securely.

if they fit the ipad 1 you can find those cheap on CL.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I think I remember seeing before that the iPad has to be a cell enabled one. In other words, a Wi-Fi only won't work because it doesn't have a GPS, correct?

·
Registered
189 Posts
But I think you have to buy the add-on GPS unit.
That's what I read as well. I'm wondering if I would be able to use my old iPhone 4S even though it's not cellular activated anymore beings that it already has the GPS chip in it. I read that the wii-fi only devises, wouldn't have all functionality like the cellular devises. At $19.95 for an app. I'd wanna know for sure before hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They already make iPad dash kits on eBay, pretty cheap to, and I I was already planning on doing this just haven't had the time because of my job but I'm glad I'm not the only one to think of an iPad on a SxS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys. The space on the dash is too small for an ipad I use an ipad mini. The idea with my set-up is to have it all look as clean as possible. The total cost of my set-up is comparable to buying a gps, but this is more functional in my opinion, and I already had the ipad mini for a backup aviation gps. I have the dash panel that I designed to fit everything, a ram ipad mini mount and an ipad mini. You can also use an android based tablet or phone. My friends and I share tracks and routes so that we can all be going to the same place and not get lost. Between the gps and car to car radios we don't worry about losing someone on a ride especially when going fast.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Hey guys. The space on the dash is too small for an ipad I use an ipad mini. The idea with my set-up is to have it all look as clean as possible. The total cost of my set-up is comparable to buying a gps, but this is more functional in my opinion, and I already had the ipad mini for a backup aviation gps. I have the dash panel that I designed to fit everything, a ram ipad mini mount and an ipad mini. You can also use an android based tablet or phone. My friends and I share tracks and routes so that we can all be going to the same place and not get lost. Between the gps and car to car radios we don't worry about losing someone on a ride especially when going fast.
I would be all over this but I have gauges installed on my dash so i will have to think of another option....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts