Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, proud owner of a 2019 turbo R 64" the machine is amazing compared to my NA og mav. but i am having some issues, please move to the correct forum if not in the right one. machine doesnt even have 100 hours on it yet. so made it 2-3 rides no problem, developed a coolant leak out the weep hole. dealer changed the rotary ceramic seal that is apparently notorious on these machines. ever since then, its acting very very strange. the machine will ride perfectly fine all day, then out of nowhere get hot. or opposite, get hot within 20 mins of riding but then the remainder of the trip have no issues for 3-4 hours then do it again. so what is happening, is itll say hot, pull over shut off to cool, fans on and everything and is not leaking from the weep hole as if it were the seal again. start back up, temp will immediately drop from full 10 bars or whatever the max is, drop 5-6 bars withing 10-15 seconds. Could go ride for another 10 mins and do the same thing, or ride for 2 hours and not do it. Fan is coming on, is not leaking coolant, both hoses are hot, is not boiling over. i have tried to purge the air out of the system 6-7 times. fan cycle twice, cool off and top off. doesnt seem to be doing anything. radiator is not clogged either. coolant is also low after this happens when i let it cool off the next day and top it off. could it be burning off? thermostat bad? temp sensor giving false readings? itll be completely random, its not consistent so very hard to track. coolant is not mixing with oil either. any suggestions or tips or ideas of where to look would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The coolant is going somewhere. Either externally or internally. Only easy thing I can suggest is park it on a steep hill over night. Maybe you still have some air in the system. That's the only way I can get my Maverick to bleed. Even using the bleeder ports on the engine doesn't get all the air out.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Coolant doesn’t normally evaporate. You have a leak somewhere and it’s letting air into the system. Was it coming from the seal or weep hole. Your after pump could also be bad . Could have lost some fins or it will pump sometimes and not others . I’d start with the water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The coolant is going somewhere. Either externally or internally. Only easy thing I can suggest is park it on a steep hill over night. Maybe you still have some air in the system. That's the only way I can get my Maverick to bleed. Even using the bleeder ports on the engine doesn't get all the air out.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
where are the bleeder screws on the x3? My og had bleeder screws on each head. according to the manual, the x3 does not have one on the head an the bleeding procedure is to idle, fan cycle twice, cool off and top off. theres gotta be an easier way than that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coolant doesn’t normally evaporate. You have a leak somewhere and it’s letting air into the system. Was it coming from the seal or weep hole. Your after pump could also be bad . Could have lost some fins or it will pump sometimes and not others . I’d start with the water pump.

dealer changed the rotary seal behind the impeller because it had failed and was leaking out the weep hole, it is not leaking now with a new seal.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
where are the bleeder screws on the x3? My og had bleeder screws on each head. according to the manual, the x3 does not have one on the head an the bleeding procedure is to idle, fan cycle twice, cool off and top off. theres gotta be an easier way than that.

There are no bleeder screws on the X3. They designed it to self bleed simply by running the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
I do know a guy that has had a bad temp sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do know a guy that has had a bad temp sensor.

i ordered a thermostat and sensor. gonna change em both and see what happens, if it still persists guess im bringing it in for them to figure it out. just hate that because itll sit there for a month before they can get to it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Unless the dealer can drive it in similar conditions and see it overheating, they will not find the issue. Went thru this futile attempt with my dealer for the overheating problem I have. Unless it goes into limp mode even the factory will say nothing is wrong. I ride with 4 other XRCs and no one else has had the issue. While they are running at 3 -4 bars I am at 5 - 6 . On long runs and hill climbs the gauge is pegged. So good luck with that. I am considering a tuner so I can change and track the operating functions of the cooling and intercooler fans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless the dealer can drive it in similar conditions and see it overheating, they will not find the issue. Went thru this futile attempt with my dealer for the overheating problem I have. Unless it goes into limp mode even the factory will say nothing is wrong. I ride with 4 other XRCs and no one else has had the issue. While they are running at 3 -4 bars I am at 5 - 6 . On long runs and hill climbs the gauge is pegged. So good luck with that. I am considering a tuner so I can change and track the operating functions of the cooling and intercooler fans.
i have a fan over ride switch i am installing this weekend, but that isnt the fix to the problem. it is a bone stock machine with an exhaust. should have zero issues with cooling as it sits, which is the frustrating part.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If your exhaust is a free flow with little back pressure you may be running lean and require a tuner to richen it up some. What I dont know is if the factory ECU has enough range to bring it back into stoich.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had a overheating issue when the ambient temperature was 85 degrees or more carering a passenger and climbing. I replaced every cooling system part over several months, nothing changed. I finally installed an aftermarket thriple past radiator that is almost 30% thicker, end of problem ! . The stock radiator is only marginally adequate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a overheating issue when the ambient temperature was 85 degrees or more carering a passenger and climbing. I replaced every cooling system part over several months, nothing changed. I finally installed an aftermarket thriple past radiator that is almost 30% thicker, end of problem ! . The stock radiator is only marginally adequate.
ill have to look into that. waiting on the tstat and sensor now, once those are changed gonna go take it out and see if it repeats

·
Registered
462 Posts
Link to Radiator?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Just an update on mine. I currently have the PV3 installed and the fan coming on at 185 degrees in lieu of the factory 203 degrees setting and it made little difference. I then replaced the Thermostat and water temperature Sensor and it also changed nothing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts