1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,474 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need some big power to see those kinds of problems... naturally I have a few on the way!
Pretty much what I was thinking.
Are people typically running with no cover or do you think something is in the works.
From what I understand Chris was back and forth on that and ended up saying better to run with a cover.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
751 Posts
Everyone is going to say run a cover. Rocks, dirt and mud can reek havoc on finely machined surfaces. Even the grit from sand can do a number. Not to mention dirt and sand getting embedded into the belt.

Having said that...a lot of people don’t run them in the sand for one reason or another. For some it’s clutch heat and for others it’s access. I am one of those who doesn’t run a cover at the dunes but runs one everywhere else.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It still will flex sice they are tied together and not to a solid brace. So now if one moves they both move. I get the idea behind it but not being able to keep rocks and dirt out you are actually making things worse. One drive through some wet areas and you will smoke a belt. Sometimes the manufacturer knows what is best through years of testing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If they both move the center to center remains constant so it does it’s job. I have no idea if it is needed, but same theory as braces on superchargers.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
751 Posts
Again you’re not going to see the issues this solves until you’re pushing big HP.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
We have a few guys to compare cover vs no cover and at 6k miles and taking both clutches off they were pretty much looking identical. Both cars are sand only . So I'm not really worried about sand. Sand does not get embedded into the belt or wear the clutches out. They do run about 20 degrees cooler with cover off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts