Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some research in this forum and have found that PCI and rugged radio makes very good products. We wear helmets and are looking to use the intercom and radios wirelessly. I am thinking that having a wire from my helmet headset to the intercom is a hassle. Is anyone running one of these systems wirelessly? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
one cable to helmet is not an issue. Everyone runs then no problem, just run wire up cage and hang it down to helmets. Trying to reinvent the wheel or use motorcycle stuff for a sxs just become a hassle to keep them charged.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
While Bluetooth seems like a great wireless alternative, having to deal with charging all of those components is more than a hassle and there have been instances where the higher powered radios cause interference with them due to their close proximity to the antenna, effectively blanking them out. I’m not talking about a 5-8Watt radio, more like the 25-100Watt radios commonly installed in these cars. As Mega stated above, a single wire dangling from the cage behind your head is unobtrusive and easy to use. There’s a reason the champion off-road drivers and NASCAR, etc. don’t use Bluetooth.
In addition, there can be lots of RF interference within the Bluetooth modules from all kinds of sources. Stick with the shielded cords and shielded intercoms. Eventually there will be a complete system that actually works for the high noise market but as of now, well, not yet.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
74 Posts
I considered wireless as you are but because of the advice of others on this forum and the offroad community in general, in the end I went wired. I installed my PCI system a couple weeks ago and could not be happier. We’ve put about 300 miles since install and love it. It has made the car so much more enjoyable for all passengers. 100% believer in the value of a full wired radio and intercom system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! It is very helpful. It sounds like Bluetooth is NOT the way to go. Now for the tough decision of RR or PCI. I am thinking RR is probably the better value.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agree with Mega on the Wire, no big deal at all.....I went with the RR option but dont think you could go wrong either way.....I do use Bluetooth for my music listening from my phone and it works very well.....The RR is very easy to install and comes with a nice mounting bracket....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went with PCI mainly because of stereo sound through the headsets. Probably not a big deal for most but I’m a bit of an OCD car audio guy.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
FYI, PCI sells name brand radios in their systems vs TYT or B-tech/Baofeng that Rugged uses. You will have better receive quality with the name brand stuff. No knock on RR. They have excellent service and I run their intercom.

·
Registered
74 Posts
FYI, PCI sells name brand radios in their systems vs TYT or B-tech/Baofeng that Rugged uses. You will have better receive quality with the name brand stuff. No knock on RR. They have excellent service and I run their intercom.
And this also contributed to my selection of PCI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it looks like I will be purchasing a PCI Trax Plus California Ultimate 2 with the Kenwood radio upgrade When I get my new ride. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Bear in mind that any of the top-tier radios that PCI sells will integrate seamlessly with a RR intercom. All of the cables to hook them up are universal 5-pin so no worries there. In addition, finding a used or demo model of the radio you like will be your best value. They show up all the time on eBay, craigslist, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys/gals, quick question...for those that have installed the PCI setup, do you also have regular speakers in your car? I am about to spend quite a bit on a 4 speaker setup with amp and wet sounds deck but have recently been considering a PCI setup. For those that listen to music through the headsets, do you also have regular speakers or feel you need them with the PCI setup? I am thinking maybe doing a more simple setup for music when parked and hanging but putting more money towards a PCI setup for driving. My wife, kids and I all like to listen to music while out on the trails but we hate having to stop to hear what the kids need/want. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey guys, quick question...for those that have installed the PCI setup, do you also have regular speakers in your car? I am about to spend quite a bit on a 4 speaker setup with amp and wet sounds deck but have recently been considering a PCI setup. For those that listen to music through the headsets, do you also have regular speakers or feel you need them with the PCI setup? I am thinking maybe doing a more simple setup for music when parked and hanging but putting more money towards a PCI setup for driving. My wife, kids and I all like to listen to music while out on the trails but we hate having to stop to hear what the kids need/want. Thanks for any input.
Dude we love the music with PCI setup. I don’t have regular speakers in my car, just the PCI headsets. I chose this route because I figured i would have to install an insane audio system to hear it above the engine/clutch noise and then you wouldn’t be able to hear anyone in the car anyway. I like your idea of doing a simple setup to listen to while stopped but ide say put your cash in the PCI system for enjoyment while riding with the fam.
I went with the DSP upgrade and it’s totally worth it IMO. Crystal clear communications within the car. Also, I opted for headsets with independent volume control and glad I did. Each passenger can increase or lower volume on their own headset as they please; it is only $10 more per headset for this option. BTW, I shopped around a bit and the best deal I could find was Craig at Pro UTV. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry to purchase and by the time he sent me the pricing I had already pulled trigger through a local dealer. One clarification with the intercom systems, like I said, we love our PCI system however, manage your expectations; although the music quality is decent, its not going to sound like your daily driver stereo. It’s sufficient though and truly makes driving the buggy even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude we love the music with PCI setup. I don’t have regular speakers in my car, just the PCI headsets. I chose this route because I figured i would have to install an insane audio system to hear it above the engine/clutch noise and then you wouldn’t be able to hear anyone in the car anyway. I like your idea of doing a simple setup to listen to while stopped but ide say put your cash in the PCI system for enjoyment while riding with the fam.
I went with the DSP upgrade and it’s totally worth it IMO. Crystal clear communications within the car. Also, I opted for headsets with independent volume control and glad I did. Each passenger can increase or lower volume on their own headset as they please; it is only $10 more per headset for this option. BTW, I shopped around a bit and the best deal I could find was Craig at Pro UTV. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry to purchase and by the time he sent me the pricing I had already pulled trigger through a local dealer. One clarification with the intercom systems, like I said, we love our PCI system however, manage your expectations; although the music quality is decent, its not going to sound like your daily driver stereo. It’s sufficient though and truly makes driving the buggy even more enjoyable.
Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I am looking for. Did you get the Kenwood radio? Wondering if it's worth it to play the music while stopped? Definitely going to go this route. Thanks again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I am looking for. Did you get the Kenwood radio? Wondering if it's worth it to play the music while stopped? Definitely going to go this route. Thanks again.
I did get the Kenwood radio but I don’t think there’s a way to have music play through the kenwood when you’re stopped. It’s for car to car communication.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did get the Kenwood radio but I don’t think there’s a way to have music play through the kenwood when you’re stopped. It’s for car to car communication.
Yeah after looking I think you are right. It's just a CB radio. Was thinking it had capability to play music. Not being a big electronics guy how would you play music through the PCI system? Just Bluetooth off your phone?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah after looking I think you are right. It's just a CB radio. Was thinking it had capability to play music. Not being a big electronics guy how would you play music through the PCI system? Just Bluetooth off your phone?
Correct, you play music via Bluetooth off your phone or tablet. Also, there is a wired 3.5 aux input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts