Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how much peoples insurance rates went up after they totaled a machine? Looking at different purchase options and trying to see what worst case scenario is if I purchased a new machine and totaled it or had a significant claim on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on it BEFORE you decided to total it??

Sent from BLR logistics

It’s a hypothetical question for a worst case scenario. So say first trip out, brand new machine with practically no miles. Wondering what happens if you wad up a car and you want to replace it? What’s it going to cost me in increased premiums for the next three to five years?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It’s a hypothetical question for a worst case scenario. So say first trip out, brand new machine with practically no miles. Wondering what happens if you wad up a car and you want to replace it? What’s it going to cost me in increased premiums for the next three to five years?
Why would you even ask that question..
And definitely put it out for others to see...

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why would you even ask that question..
And definitely put it out for others to see...

Sent from BLR logistics

How is it a stupid question? I’m not planning to wad up a new toy, but if I am going to spend 30 grand on a machine and another $100+ a month, I want to know what happens if it gets totaled? I see a lot of new cars getting totaled over a small collision etc so it doesn’t seem to far fetched to think you could buy a new car, tumble it lightly and get a bad break and it’s totaled. I am wondering if that happens, will my insurance premiums jump $100 A year or something crazy like tripple my rates?

Currently I am on the fence of purchasing a new car, used car or even rebuilding a salvaged car. Obviously if I build a salvaged car I wont be insuring it fully, if I buy a used car it depends what it costs to insure it. However if I buy a new car it will be fully insured. So replacement costs and premiums are part of that equation.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
How is it a stupid question? I’m not planning to wad up a new toy, but if I am going to spend 30 grand on a machine and another $100+ a month, I want to know what happens if it gets totaled? I see a lot of new cars getting totaled over a small collision etc so it doesn’t seem to far fetched to think you could buy a new car, tumble it lightly and get a bad break and it’s totaled. I am wondering if that happens, will my insurance premiums jump $100 A year or something crazy like tripple my rates?

Currently I am on the fence of purchasing a new car, used car or even rebuilding a salvaged car. Obviously if I build a salvaged car I wont be insuring it fully, if I buy a used car it depends what it costs to insure it. However if I buy a new car it will be fully insured. So replacement costs and premiums are part of that equation.
Depends on your insurance company and the coverage you have.. OR you want

No One ever plans on wading up a car..
We buy insurance for what we think we need.

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I put a call in already. I am sure I will hear from them tomorrow. I just don’t trust insurance agents much and inured there has got to be some people on here that have totaled their rig before and would know first hand what affect it had on their premium.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My daughter rear ended a "set" of 3 cars and totaled her car. She was fine. Then I bought her a 3/4 ton truck - and she ended up backing over a VW. Insurance rates doubled for 3 years. Some companies may penalize you up to 5 years.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Depends on your insurance company and the coverage you have.. OR you want

No One ever plans on wading up a car..
We buy insurance for what we think we need.

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics
Actually, I do. With my luck and how easy it actually is to turtle or roll it, more so, 1st day out in an over powered machine saying ‘yeah lets turn eco off for 5 min, and...roll tape.’

3 of the 4 people I know that have a SXS caused significant damage or totaled within 200 miles of buying it. Even some experienced drivers. With this being $25k and easier to wreck than a quad (in my mind, mostly due to the ‘ this is way safer because, case, harness, power steering, what could go wrong?’)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
You could call and speak to your insurance representative. I'm sure they could break it down for you.
This is a bad idea with Progressive, I speak from experience. Mentioning, causes them to pop you in some category that can, and in my case did, cause my premium to double. I tried fighting them, but never got it adjusted, so I went to another company. I do t hypothesis with my agents ever now after the policy is made. Before though, when getting quotes, that’s when I run it buy them and they don’t save the theoretical crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Too many claims for people's lack of experience, insurance companies may stop covering SXS for comp/collision all together.....
:unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts