Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I searched the forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

My questions are:

1. How long did it take you to install it?

2. Did you take the front tire off to do it?

I know the video shows them taking off the left front tire and I'm sure it is easier that way, just wondered if anyone tried doing it without removing it.

Thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
Depending on you ability, it might take you 1 hour to 2. I didn't take the tire off. The worst thing is the steering shaft and motor mounting. I would try to angle the motor to the right til it almost touches the inner center console panel. Make sure you leave the slip joint bolts loose til the end so it doesn't bind them. I have put on three so far. The wiring is easy.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I took about an hour and a half to do it.....watch the video 2-3 times first and it will help you out when you actually go to do it. I didn't take the tire off but it would make it a bit easier.....

Reactions: smurf

·
Registered
156 Posts
Two hours and I didn't take the tire off

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Two hrs for a buddy and me. No tire off either. Might of been able to knock a 1/2 hr off but had to have a refreshment or two and admire our work lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
2 hrs doesn't sound like its too difficult. I guess I should watch the video to see how hard it is for myself.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
if your anything like me, you over analyze things and end up taking 3 times longer than needed. If I had to do it a second time, I could probably do it in 30-45 minutes after doing it the first time. It is not hard at all. Just be sure to leave everything loose until you have it lined up correctly and then tighten everything down....

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I'm like Heavy, super cautious when it comes to disassembly. But he is right, it can be done in 30 minutes if you had done it before. I wouldn't think you need to take off the tire unless you had really short arms like a kangaroo

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Sounds like most left the tire on so I'll give that a try. I watched most of the video but will watch it again all the way through before I begin the project.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Smurf, I was thinking about this some more, if you just got your PS unit it is a little different than the one in the video. The one you have should be totally plug and play like mine was. I think the video showed some splicing.
It really is no big deal to take the wheel off and give yourself more room.
When I did mine I had all the wheels off and the shocks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I'll keep that in mind

Smurf, I was thinking about this some more, if you just got your PS unit it is a little different than the one in the video. The one you have should be totally plug and play like mine was. I think the video showed some splicing.
It really is no big deal to take the wheel off and give yourself more room.
When I did mine I had all the wheels off and the shocks.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
all of the new units from Super ATV are plug and play now. The only thing you need to do is attach the ground wire to a chassis ground or make one....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I put the ground on the bolt that you plug the net into the seat belt thing. I put doors on and pulled the part the nets clips into but the stud stays there and just put the nut back on. It's all plug and play no splicing or making connectors of any sort. Only problem I had was getting the steering shaft all the way on the unit it's self. But found out I tightened up the brackets for the ps unit. When I left the mounting brackets loose it went on it had the wrong angle. I was pulling my hair out until I figured that out, then I was like your an idiot. Lol it's easy don't sweat it. Oh ya I didn't take tire off either. Good luck

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Taking a short break but wanted anyone to know that when you put the new shaft on the rack-n-pinion, pull the bolt out first and the bolt side goes through the area on the shaft where it is flattened out some. I had the bolt in at first and wondered why it would go on...duh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts