Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the s3 gusset kit and am going to install tomorrow. Instructions say to completely remove front diff....i have never done that...any chance tips or tricks? Am I correct in the following?

1) REMOVE FRONT body panel

2) Remove both front wheels and hubs

3) Remove front bumper

Then, do I need to drain front diff fluid and pull both drive shafts out? Can I then take out the 4 bolts holding diff in to give me enough room to get the gusset kit in? Or do I need to disconnect the prop shaft and pull the entire diff out? Or am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?..

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
850 Posts
I’m in the middle of this and am finishing up tomorrow. I pulled the diff out. I don’t think you need to drain it first just pull it out. You can easily drain and replace the oil after you have it out. The rear gusset is a huge pain in the ass to install, I used the long bolts from the top shock tower to help guide the lower aarms and rear gusset on. Like this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...sounds like this is pretty involved! How do I take the diff out? Pull the drive shafts, loosen the 4 bolts...then what? How does the prop shaft come out...is there a pin or something that needs punched out?

·
Registered
850 Posts
The axles come out easy, the drive shaft easily slides back and out of the way. Take the four bolts out of the bottom of the diff and it comes right out. Really not much to it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you also installing the shock brace at same time? Thinking I want that too, but don’t have it with me...I guess I can just pull the front body clip off and install later

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are you also installing the shock brace at same time? Thinking I want that too, but don’t have it with me...I guess I can just pull the front body clip off and install later

No, I’m stalling the S3 a-arms. I think the stock shock towers are fine.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took 7 hours but it’s done. I don’t want to do that again! My passenger side lower rear a arm bracket was a bitch to get lined up. Don’t know if my stuff was tweaked a bit or manufacturing tolerances? Even though that new frame material is extremely strong, it’s kind of a shock to see the thin stock gusset braces in there. My bolts for the front suspension arms were barely long enough with the brp dune bumper. I can’t imagine having to replace the bushings in there and go through all that again. Hope they last longer than rzr bushings

·
Registered
2 Posts
The S3 gusset kit is nice except for pulling the diff. I installed the ct raceworx on my XRC and didn't have to pull the diff. I expect both will do the job but I will not be installing another S3 gusset kit because of the extra work. Yup, I am lazy...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Exactly, and I had already done a ct kit so I figured it might be a little easier this time. I went and ahead and upgraded the bushings when I had it apart knowing I didn't want to tear into this again anytime soon.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is there a difference in structure? I put a S3 brace on my X3 and didn't think the diff was near as much of a hassle as the A arms. It was 4 bolts and the driveline, gusset was way easier to install after diff was removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ez71pilot>>That's funny. The XRS is in the garage half finished waiting for the delrin bushings in the mail today. If I have to work on the S3 kit again it will come out and I will buy the CT kit.

kbeefy>>The CT gusset kit is welded one piece and mounts to the front of the frame than behind the bulkhead therefore, eliminating the need to remove the diff.

I will say that I plan to buy the S3 shock tower and install that too because I know the shock mount takes some hard abuse. If you know a better tower please send because I would rather spend time riding than wrenching.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The CT shock tower brace installs without the need to disconnect the radiator lines. That saves a lot of time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You don't need to disconnect the radiator lines either for the S3 but the diff does need to come out. Put a little heat on the head of the 4 bolts for the diff, so it loosens up the loctite. No need to drain it either. My rear plate went on pretty smooth, I noticed I needed to wiggle it down on top of the frame a bit . I also did Garage Products bushings while I was in there.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Without a doubt if installing a gusset kit, go ahead and do shock tower brace and bushings while you are at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Without a doubt if installing a gusset kit, go ahead and do shock tower brace and bushings while you are at it.

Agree 100%!!!

Just got done installing a TMW gusset and shocktower brace on my 19’ XRC. Not a terrible job, but sure the hell would not want to take it apart just to do bushings! I went with CT’s bushings, which required a press to install. Hoping they last a good while!

C-ya!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts