Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I be fine running my antenna cable down the center tunnel or would it interfere with my quality? I cant imagine 12v power would mess with coax cable that badly being how much insulation is on all of these power cables. I wanted everyones experience.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Run it down the passenger side rocker panel along the frame rail like where the street legal kit wiring would go but on the passenger side. Easy access and will keep it away from power for the most part. Must not be insulated very good if it will pick up interference from low voltage accessory wires.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Typical RG58 cable is only single shielded and can pick up RF interference easier than you might think. It is always best to keep that cable separate from all other wiring whenever possible. Route that cable as far away from any possible electrical interference as possible for best results and use a Kenwood KLF-2 noise filter for the power side of your radio. There have been many posts about this on the forum for you to browse.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Depending on the radio manufacturer you'll probably have a lot of extra cable. You may as well run it down the side of the car instead of the center. I ran mine down the side and still ended up shortening the cable. The RF100 does a really good job filtering noise too.

·
Administrator
4,492 Posts
I mounted our antenna thru the very back of aluminum roof in center. The coax runs along the top bar of cage on passenger side, across the front to driver's intrusion bar....straight down it and into the fuse panel cubbie/lid to radio.

Both PTT cables drop down in back and rest on skid plate to the radio. This kept them completely away from the antenna coax.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Typical RG58 cable is only single shielded and can pick up RF interference easier than you might think. It is always best to keep that cable separate from all other wiring whenever possible. Route that cable as far away from any possible electrical interference as possible for best results and use a Kenwood KLF-2 noise filter for the power side of your radio. There have been many posts about this on the forum for you to browse.
Probably a single braid or non-braided shielding?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
RG58 is a single braid shielding. Better cable is available but it’s tough to solder onto the NMO connector and isn’t cheap. I use that on my vehicles with custom installs where RFI is rampant with all the new electronics these new vehicles have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts