Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
How is the ps in high speed conditions, is it real twitchy/sensative? I know it would be great for slow trail riding or bigger tires but is it overly sensitve to where it would be dangerous at high speeds?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks Alex, thats what I'm looking for & needed to know. I don't mine spending a little extra for a better product. I was talking to another guy that had a different brand and was telling me how twitchy & sensitive theirs was. Dangeous at high speeds & so on. I will need ps for sure as soon as I install the QE but more concerned with the safe factor especially for when my wife & kid drive it.

Here's the thing about power steering.

We don't necessarily run PS to turn the wheel with one finger while sitting still. Probably the biggest reason we run it is there's no feed back through the steering wheel and the steering wheel won't get ripped out of my hands any more at speed. The Wicked Built setup definitely makes it easier to turn, there's no doubt about that but it's the right amount of assist because at 60mph a overly sensitive power steering setup will get you killed dodging trees if its not right. The steering doesn't get twitchy or darty with minimal steering input, in other words its not overly sensitive at speed, its very controllable. Cornering is much easier because you point it where you want it to go with no feedback of ruts, roots, rocks or anything in the way.
On the rocks or in the mud it is very helpful but you can't feel the steering resistance as well and I can foresee it wiping out factory tie rods left and right.

Overall in any condition it will reduce driver fatigue but I would heavily suggest having aftermarket front tie rods, which we have.

The Wicked Built setup is more than the other units on the market, it retails around $950 but that's not what we sell it for. We run the Wicked Built due to the quality, support and reliability and that's worth the extra $. In the race scene I've seen too many power steering systems fail and the one that had the least amount of problems was the Wicked Built systems.

Alex

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I got my wicked built installed over the weekend, it was super easy to install. Probably took a 1 1/2hr tops. Only took it down the pavement road but wow, it steers super easy. I can't wait to get it on the trail. A little hint on what I did for the red/green wire that needs key on power was to splice it into the red wire of the 2 wire connector with the white cap next to the fuse panel instead of the yellow wire at the ignition switch. Also if you have the BRP stereo system, the front drivers speaker will need to be relocated/removed or modify the module bracket & relocate the module so it will clear the speaker. I have seen both p/s systems on the market installed in the Mav & I think the wicked is the cleanest install for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts