Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It sure makes driving it with larger tires much nicer.

The install was easy, nothing major only stumble was they didnt make it clear you use the same red/green stripe wire on the light in the directions, you have to splice in longer wire to reach battery not sure why they dont just make the wire longer and avoid the splice, who ever put the bolts on the spline yokes didnt need to tighten them where they had to be spread back open to go on the splines.

All in all its about a hour and half job and well worth it.

not finger easy but bigger tires are harder to turn.

If I did it again I would not follow the directions and install the shaft to the unit then stick the whole thing down through the hole and hook up the rack, then bolt the unit on the mountining bar, I wasted time trying to make sure wheels were straight and steering lined up like the directions says and it was still off 1/8 of a turn. I ended up just pulling the steering wheel and putting it back on straight. Much easier and would of saved 15 min.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sounds like it went pretty smooth overall!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did our power steering today and it definitely was easier than i thought! Excited to check out what we can do on the trails

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
How is the ps in high speed conditions, is it real twitchy/sensative? I know it would be great for slow trail riding or bigger tires but is it overly sensitve to where it would be dangerous at high speeds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our Mav is only used in high speed conditions as we race but ps was one of the first things we bought to do the race build

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Here's the thing about power steering.

We don't necessarily run PS to turn the wheel with one finger while sitting still. Probably the biggest reason we run it is there's no feed back through the steering wheel and the steering wheel won't get ripped out of my hands any more at speed. The Wicked Built setup definitely makes it easier to turn, there's no doubt about that but it's the right amount of assist because at 60mph a overly sensitive power steering setup will get you killed dodging trees if its not right. The steering doesn't get twitchy or darty with minimal steering input, in other words its not overly sensitive at speed, its very controllable. Cornering is much easier because you point it where you want it to go with no feedback of ruts, roots, rocks or anything in the way.
On the rocks or in the mud it is very helpful but you can't feel the steering resistance as well and I can foresee it wiping out factory tie rods left and right.

Overall in any condition it will reduce driver fatigue but I would heavily suggest having aftermarket front tie rods, which we have.

The Wicked Built setup is more than the other units on the market, it retails around $950 but that's not what we sell it for. We run the Wicked Built due to the quality, support and reliability and that's worth the extra $. In the race scene I've seen too many power steering systems fail and the one that had the least amount of problems was the Wicked Built systems.

Alex

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks Alex, thats what I'm looking for & needed to know. I don't mine spending a little extra for a better product. I was talking to another guy that had a different brand and was telling me how twitchy & sensitive theirs was. Dangeous at high speeds & so on. I will need ps for sure as soon as I install the QE but more concerned with the safe factor especially for when my wife & kid drive it.

Here's the thing about power steering.

We don't necessarily run PS to turn the wheel with one finger while sitting still. Probably the biggest reason we run it is there's no feed back through the steering wheel and the steering wheel won't get ripped out of my hands any more at speed. The Wicked Built setup definitely makes it easier to turn, there's no doubt about that but it's the right amount of assist because at 60mph a overly sensitive power steering setup will get you killed dodging trees if its not right. The steering doesn't get twitchy or darty with minimal steering input, in other words its not overly sensitive at speed, its very controllable. Cornering is much easier because you point it where you want it to go with no feedback of ruts, roots, rocks or anything in the way.
On the rocks or in the mud it is very helpful but you can't feel the steering resistance as well and I can foresee it wiping out factory tie rods left and right.

Overall in any condition it will reduce driver fatigue but I would heavily suggest having aftermarket front tie rods, which we have.

The Wicked Built setup is more than the other units on the market, it retails around $950 but that's not what we sell it for. We run the Wicked Built due to the quality, support and reliability and that's worth the extra $. In the race scene I've seen too many power steering systems fail and the one that had the least amount of problems was the Wicked Built systems.

Alex

·
Registered
664 Posts
How is the ps in high speed conditions, is it real twitchy/sensative? I know it would be great for slow trail riding or bigger tires but is it overly sensitve to where it would be dangerous at high speeds?
Mine on my Commander was a little twitchy at high speeds on gravel roads. I wired in a switch so I could turn it off when needed. Problem solved.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Got it, sent you one back.
Send me a pm too I'm a little ways out from buying but would still like to know what it'll run me

·
Registered
266 Posts
Alex can you send me a price to? Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
On the super atv power steering install what does the blue wire do? It is not mentioned.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts