Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Installed QE front Diff today

11K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  02sunsetorangeZ 
#1 ·
Took it for a short ride after installing it climbing a few dirt hills and things.
I can tell the steering is much more stiffer, but nothing you can not handle. As soon as power steering is avalible it will be installed.

I sure like it much better, there was no 3-wheel drive, I would sink the rear tires on a incline then put it in 4/wheel to see and both front tires would spin at the same time, even if one front tire was off the ground they both worked.

The install isnt bad but I am new to Can-Am and learned alot! I was surprised to learn the front axles are different from each side so I will need a spare for each one not just a front axle.

I learnt you can waste a hour micing the shatf on the long end and the inside of the differential before noticing the splines are two pieces and if not lined up it the axle will not go in all the way.

other than that is was a pretty easy job.
Also might want to know mine did not come with the fill plug or washer so if you order one you might want to order that with it.

One person can do everything until it comes time to line up the drive shaft to the transmission you need someone in the cab and you at the front.

if you have any questions I will answer what I can.

See less See more
#3 ·
Which part numbers did you order?

#4 ·
I can get the part number its at the shop, but I ordered the one for the 2013 commander.

#5 ·
The one for the 2013 is 705401241.

#6 ·
Yes that is the part number I remember it after seeing it.

#9 ·
Thx for that. Like I said before I had renegades with and without QE and pwr steering. The Rene without pwr steering was nicer on the trails not darting around. The Rene with QE and pwr steer always pulled and darted. In the snow it was really pronounced. I think the locker for when its needed would be the ticket. I will not upgrade to QE and await a locker from somebody hopefully.

#12 ·
I have a question. Did u just order the QE from can am? If u don't mind me asking how much was it? Also I'm kinda stuck I really want a white and red xrs dps but been thinking of getting a base 13 and doing to QE swap. I could live without power steering just be nice when the girl wants to drive it when I'm riding my bike. Any big differences in the 13-14 interior wise? I heard about a clutch problem In 13 but heard most got recalled and fixed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#14 ·
I ordered the QE from my dealer, it was around 1000.00, it's been a while. I will say you will want the owner steering if you have the QE. I found it hard to turn with out it.

If you run the stock tires I think you will be ok, if you change them and run larger tires I found the stock clutch not working and belt would burn up.

Getting the base model and changing it how you want it is a good option, no one said it all has to be done at once.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.