Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hoping Can Am knows what they are doing, I was not having issues with my clutch but since there was a recall out, I ordered the part myself and just installed it, my dealer is 250 miles away. If you do it yourself let me give you a couple tips.

One make sure you have a 14mm allen head socket and pull handle to hold the crankshaft on the flywheel side

two, you have to provide two m12x 1.75 nuts to put on stud to tighten it up with. This method sucks by the way. You better tighten them against each other extremely tight to keep both from turning when you are trying to torque the stud in place.

You will need a clutch puller to remove the inside half of primary from crankshaft. In hind sight, this stud might could be put in with it still on the crank but the recall instructions say remove it so I did and it was not fun. It was stuck, used a BRP puller and had to tap it with a dead blow hammer then tighten it again to get it to break loose.

There is two new slippery washers, do NOT clean them with anything, they have a coating on them,

You will need blue lock tight

You will torque the new nut to the same 95ft lbs as in our Dalton install video and use same method, torque it, drive it and retorque.

What concerns me is if and when I need to remove the fixed portion of the primary again having to remove the stud, bet that is going to be even more fun.

Todd

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Since you have choosen to take on this task, I want to wish you good luck.
oh and a bump for tech support

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
what do u think about this set up , do u see it holding up ?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
F that, Im keeping the regular bolt. Its gonna be hell if you got to take that stud back out after any length of time. Actually im using a socket head bolt now that is like the arp bolts, so far so good. It has turned alittle though.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
F that, Im keeping the regular bolt. Its gonna be hell if you got to take that stud back out after any length of time. Actually im using a socket head bolt now that is like the arp bolts, so far so good. It has turned alittle though.
Are you using 1 of the bolts I sent you?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yes sir

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Just don't red loctite it....lol

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I learned that lesson on the secondary bolt earlier.:haha:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree, F...that,so I went with a complete upgrade.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I do think it will, but as said I didn't have a issue with other. I also don't see the average guy needing to take the stud back out.
I think the stud is probably the best solution to the bolt, but as far as I can see that only cures the symptom. The real PROBLEM is the clutch slipping on itself. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be a problem with the bolt over torquing itself to begin with. JMHO

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I think the stud is probably the best solution to the bolt, but as far as I can see that only cures the symptom. The real PROBLEM is the clutch slipping on itself. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be a problem with the bolt over torquing itself to begin with. JMHO
Times mother effing infinity! Stupid POS over engineered somebody needs to get fired slipping primary!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
so if I get a full STM set up or a QSC/STM clutch I should not have a problem with the stock bolt?

·
Registered
410 Posts
so if I get a full STM set up or a QSC/STM clutch I should not have a problem with the stock bolt?
I don't have either but I think if I dropped that kinda coin on the setup I would replace the bolt. IMHO

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I do think it will, but as said I didn't have a issue with other. I also don't see the average guy needing to take the stud back out.
Unless the average guy decides to replace the clutch primary some day down the road.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Personally I would replace the stock bolt every time the clutch is removed. Cheap insurance. I think all the aftermarket clutches have a new bolt supplied with them. Both mine did. CVTech/STM. Don't know for sure about QSC, but can't imagine they don't as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts