Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed a new Gen3 carrier bearing from Sandcraft motorsports in my X3 XRS four seater. I was getting a clicking noise coming from my drive line and could not figure it out for the longest time. I saw some post on here about the carrier bearings and started checking around. I liked the idea of moving the drive shaft (prop shaft) over just a bit and making the entire drive line straight from front to back.

Sandcare Motorsports has a video online doing an install in a two seater but it is a lot different in the four seater. They may have a video on that but I have not found it. I will post some of the photos I took for anyone who is thinking of putting one of these in.

What I have noticed so fare:

No more clicking sound and I did not add more grease to the drive shaft. You can grease the drive line splines and many said this has eliminated the noise but it has to be done a couple of times per year.

Hookup in forward and reverse is much smother.

No vibrations at any speed/rpm so fare

Drive shaft/prop shaft was out of phase by 90 degrees from factory and the green marks on the shaft were not even lined up. With them lined up it is still out of phase so I ignored the lines they and I had made on the shaft and got it phased correctly.

Carrier bearing is greaseable and I installed the grease hose so I can grease it without removing anything from the car.

View attachment 218426
View attachment 218428
View attachment 218430
How long did you run the stock before hearing noises?

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
About 1k as well.
It was like a clicking sound almost like a stick or soda can was stuck against the drive shaft knuckle? New bearing 2500 miles later and no clicking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Please let me know if you feel the same way or if mine is just a freak thing. I though at first I was just making it up like when you detail your car and it seems to run better. But the longer I drove the more I knew it was way freaking more responsive and faster, ie power transferred from the motor to the ground was better. How much better???? all my teeth are showing all the time when I'm driving, glad I have a radio with a headset so the bugs hit the mic boom instead of my teeth. Hahaha .
You were not wrong. I was diagnosing the rattle can full of rocks issue and ran across this thread a few days ago. I was also having an issue where it made this crazy noise once I got up to speed and it didn’t want to accelerate anymore.

Took it apart to put in a SuperATV carrier bearing and grease the splines and noticed the phase was way off. Put everything together correctly and it actually is much faster!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts