Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Polish it with some 1000 grit. Put on a well greased new bearing and go ride. Only time the bearing turns is at idle. Should be fine. At least give it a try and save your trip.

Registered

Registered
For those of you with quite a bit of experience with clutches,,,, Is the pictured grooving pretty common for "idle" grooving,,, or is this worse than one should expect with a few thousand miles on their car?

Mine doesn't show any idle grooving yet at 1300 miles,,, just trying to gauge what to expect as the miles add up on these clutches. This looks a bit excessive to my unexperienced eyes.

I understand it depends on how much one idles their car,,, just looking for an average/typical if possible.

Premium Member
For those of you with quite a bit of experience with clutches,,,, Is the pictured grooving pretty common for "idle" grooving,,, or is this worse than one should expect with a few thousand miles on their car?

Mine doesn't show any idle grooving yet at 1300 miles,,, just trying to gauge what to expect as the miles add up on these clutches. This looks a bit excessive to my unexperienced eyes.

I understand it depends on how much one idles their car,,, just looking for an average/typical if possible.
that鈥檚 not normal and reason to replace. BUT i would think it could last a weekend until replaced.

Registered
As Mega said you should be fine for a weekend.

Registered
Unless the clutches are seriously misaligned the wear at the bottom of the primary sheaves is not from idling. At idle, the sheaves do not touch the belt. Only when the rpms are increased do the sheaves move toward the belt. This is when most of the wear occurs as the spinning sheaves contact the belt and start to turn it. It is very important to not slip the belt when taking off. Crawling over obstacles from a dead stop and slipping the belt is also very bad for the sheaves. The CVT is more like a standard transmission in that you should not excessively slip the clutch on takeoff. Once you start to move release the clutch and go. Same with a CVT. Once you start to move give it some gas and get going. Even though you have only a gas pedal to control takeoff and engine speed like an automatic transmission in a car, the difference is that an auto trans has an oil driven torque converter that can take quite a bit of slipping and not cause any damage to itself. Since most people are used to driving automobiles with an automatic transmission it is only natural to drive a CVT SXS the same way. Yes, it is similar but there are important differences in operation to be aware of.

Registered
Unless the clutches are seriously misaligned the wear at the bottom of the primary sheaves is not from idling. At idle, the sheaves do not touch the belt. Only when the rpms are increased do the sheaves move toward the belt.
I understand how the clutch works "in a perfect world",,, but when watching KWI's clutch rebuild video, you'll notice he even states that it's very normal to see "slight" grooving at the lower portion of the sheaves due to idling.

Not arguing with you at all,,, and I appreciate the info. Just relaying where I got my statement from. (y)

Registered
I know people say it is from idling and it may cause a "slight" amount of wear. I have the KWI float mod and clutch kit in my 2018. This is what my primary looks like after 4000 miles
Stairs Escalator Water Material property Wood
since the KWI rebuild. There is a lot of space between the sheaves and belt at idle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts