Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are a few threads on temperature gauges to monitor the clutch belt. All the gauges I have seen or read so far measure the air in the clutch housing.

I found some information on a infrared surface temperature gauge that is used to monitor tire surface temps. Most of the info I found was really for test equipment but I find an old article about one IR temp dash gauge. I thought this would be perfect for monitoring actual belt temps. You could mount the sensor on top of the clutch housing and the IR beam would point right at the belt in a contactless method. There is very limited info on this particular gauge not to mention $600 is outrageous. I could buy a shit load of belts for that price.

Anyway, was hoping to get some input and maybe some help from some of you electrical wizards that may know a way to make this cheap enough to justify buying such a gauge. I think this would be better than any current temp gauge for clutch belts today.

I also have thought about taking a cheap infrared temp gun I bought from Harbor Freight and taking it apart to some how use as clutch belt gauge.

Here is a link to the only website I could find with a surface temp dash gauge.

racergadget.com » Gauges - performance parts, tuning devices, safety equipment for use on the race track.

2013-12-20 20_44_12-racergadget.jpg

Here is another website that has a IR temp sensor but there are other similar sensors. I just thought this was interesting since it measure tire temps.

Racing Data Acquisition Sensors

Attachments

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Nice find MiMav...I wonder how much the belt temp varies from the top where you could actually pick up the temp and the face of the belt that contacts the sheaves.....that would be the ideal way to measure the temp but don't see how you could do it with a fixed position sensor....

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I was thinking of how to rig my Infrared Gun to point at belt to, like you said take it apart and mount the digital display in dash. I think Adam said the belts Blow up at 350 deg.
Heres another cheap tester there all over the board on price so I guess just buy a cheap one to see if it can be taken apart and moved around.

irt207.jpg

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice find MiMav...I wonder how much the belt temp varies from the top where you could actually pick up the temp and the face of the belt that contacts the sheaves.....that would be the ideal way to measure the temp but don't see how you could do it with a fixed position sensor....
Yea I am sure the surface that actually contacts the sheaves would be better to sense but just getting a temp off the belt is better than any air temp. I think what you are asking might be possible because my idea would be to sense the belt temps between the clutches where the belt is exposed most. There you might be able to hit the side of the belt rather than the top of the belt.

Right now, I am more interested in getting a reasonable cost based on components that are already out there. These IR sensors tend to be used for testing and it seems when it comes to test equipment, prices for parts are very high. I guess test equipment is a luxury toy too.

I have sent a couple of email out asking for some more information from a couple of distributors. If there is anything of interest, I will definitely post back here.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of how to rig my Infrared Gun to point at belt to, like you said take it apart and mount the digital display in dash. I think Adam said the belts Blow up at 350 deg.
Heres another cheap tester there all over the board on price so I guess just buy a cheap one to see if it can be taken apart and moved around.

View attachment 7022
I have a similar gun I got from Harbor Freight. I am thinking of taking it part and see what can be done. I first want to see if there is a dash gauge available that will work with a IR sensor.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
if you guys figure this out, it would be pretty cool to see what the belt temps are actually getting up to.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Keep us updated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts