Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a whim, booked a RV spot in Ouray, CO for end of August. Backtracking now to figure out the logistics LOL. Been searching and found some good info. I am now aware cant ride on roads (big bummer ... gotta love AZ) and will get the CO permit. Any input appreciated or if anyone is interest/planning to ride then let me know as not sure if any of my usual group going so for now its just us ....

Not having much luck finding a place to rent a flat bed trailer to get to the trial heads. Will keep looking ...

Seems the Jeep rental places will trailer my ride to/from a couple different trail heads at reasonable price but there are some additional logistics here of drop off and pickup since these times are limited and thus limits ride times or being flexible. If anyone has done this curious on experience of this method.

Is there good parking at the trial heads around Ouray? If I do find a trailer to rent want to make sure good room to park at the trial heads. One post seemed to indicate might not be much room but another piece of info I found suggested no issues and lots of room. Just curious if I rent a trailer what odds of finding a parking spot are on a weekend?

Most the pics I see seem mostly jeep trails which should be really easy in UTV for an experienced rider (done Moab, Sand Hallow, etc.). Is this true of most the trials in the area? Never been a fan of riding alone but that might be the case so curious on this.

It looks like Silverton, CO is much more UTV friendly and trial heads from the RV park. Might just bail and go here as they also seem to have some dry camping spots too so much better chance of finding a place to stay. It is just that Ouray seems to be a bit nicer place in general for when not riding. Still curious if in general Ouray or Silverton is better for trail access as that will be the last thing to figure out what trials I really should ride. Any input here too appreciated!

·
Registered
321 Posts
On a whim, booked a RV spot in Ouray, CO for end of August. Backtracking now to figure out the logistics LOL. Been searching and found some good info. I am now aware cant ride on roads (big bummer ... gotta love AZ) and will get the CO permit. Any input appreciated or if anyone is interest/planning to ride then let me know as not sure if any of my usual group going so for now its just us ....

Not having much luck finding a place to rent a flat bed trailer to get to the trial heads. Will keep looking ...

Seems the Jeep rental places will trailer my ride to/from a couple different trail heads at reasonable price but there are some additional logistics here of drop off and pickup since these times are limited and thus limits ride times or being flexible. If anyone has done this curious on experience of this method.

Is there good parking at the trial heads around Ouray? If I do find a trailer to rent want to make sure good room to park at the trial heads. One post seemed to indicate might not be much room but another piece of info I found suggested no issues and lots of room. Just curious if I rent a trailer what odds of finding a parking spot are on a weekend?

Most the pics I see seem mostly jeep trails which should be really easy in UTV for an experienced rider (done Moab, Sand Hallow, etc.). Is this true of most the trials in the area? Never been a fan of riding alone but that might be the case so curious on this.

It looks like Silverton, CO is much more UTV friendly and trial heads from the RV park. Might just bail and go here as they also seem to have some dry camping spots too so much better chance of finding a place to stay. It is just that Ouray seems to be a bit nicer place in general for when not riding. Still curious if in general Ouray or Silverton is better for trail access as that will be the last thing to figure out what trials I really should ride. Any input here too appreciated!
Lake City is WAY more SxS friendly - much better base to ride out of than Silverton.

The Sheriff in Silverton is a HUGE dick - LOVES to harass people on SxS’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, did not see issues in Silverton so perhaps things have changed. Lake City looks nice too just adds a bit more travel time for me.

Looks like I will just stick with Ouray as just seems like a really cool place. Also, after thinking about it more, want some flexibility so will make a short drive to Montrose and pick up a uHaul car trailer. Got some further info that maybe only Engineer Pass trail head could have parking issues as one of the busiest and that others have a lot of parking.

Still looking for further input ... thanks!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
How are you getting your car to Ouray?!?
There is a "huge" staging area on 550 in south Ouray for the Imogene Pass ride.
That is the only place I ride in Ouray.

I like to stage and camp in Ironton and get to the loop trails by taking the Corkscrew trail.
There is a large staging area here.
You do not have to go into Silverton if you don't want to.

Lake City has the best price on 91 "recreational" gas, no alcohol.

Taylor Park is awesome if you have time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I’m currently in the gunnison, Colorado, area and having some great rides. I have ridden in Lack City area and find the passes like Engineer pass to be low on the challenge scale, also a lot of traffic as a result. I recommend you purchase THIS book before you decide where to stage your vacation. Let me know if you want more information on this area.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I unloaded at Ironton this morning, the staging area got pretty busy by 9:30 but plenty of spots to unload on the road where the dry camping area is. Lots of UTVs in Silverton, saw the Sheriff and he looked stressed out as he impatiently waved me through the intersection. As long as you follow the OHV rules Silverton is fine. I believe you can go from Ouray over Black Bear Pass to Telluride and go back over Imogene pass, no UTVs allowed in Telluride but have been told that Sheriff will allow you to pass through town if you drive slow and quiet and don’t stop. Black Bear is one way as you probably already know. It’s too bad that Colorado is so strict. Since we have to have a title we should be able to have a license plate! The UHaul trailer is probably the best call. Have fun on your trip there are some great views up there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Drove through Silverton and Ouray today on my way to Breck for the week. Saw every sort of off road rig you could imagine. Ouray is awesome and you're gonna have a blast, very jeaous.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I believe you can go from Ouray over Black Bear Pass to Telluride and go back over Imogene pass
Black Bear is one way
You got it backwards. It's one way from Telluride to hwy 550.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
passes like Engineer pass to be low on the challenge scale
All of the passes in that area are "easy". For more difficult passes, try Taylor Park.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Just an FYI, I spoke with the Silverton Sheriff yesterday and he was pleasant and informative. Seems like a no nonsense type, so if you follow their rules and be respectful I doubt you’d have any problems.

At least that was my experience.

YMMV

Lake City is WAY more SxS friendly - much better base to ride out of than Silverton.

The Sheriff in Silverton is a HUGE dick - LOVES to harass people on SxS’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Everything. Highway numbers, trail numbers and features would be a good start.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks everyone! Looking forward to this trip for sure.

I found OnX Offroad to be very hopeful in my research of trails in this area rather than just forest road numbers or similar that others have. It shows all the trail names clearly with info on each so really helps even if just look during their trial period. Note, I was disappointed it does not fully support landscape mode for iPad/iPhone and its a bit limited in selecting areas to store offline compared to others.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Can you tell me something other than go buy a book?
I would like to know what general area near Gunnison that you liked.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Devil’s punch bowl, Lead King Mine, Crystal to Marble, Hancock pass, Italian Creek, Flag Mountain, Taylor River Road, Napoleon Pass, Tin Cup Pass, Pearl Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Engineer Pass, Paradise Divide, Gunsight, Poverty Gulch, Slaughterhouse Gultch, etc. if you don’t want to buy a book with maps, do some research online for maps on these rides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts