Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wider IS better when its PRACTICAL.....dont sell a 64" car short, they have their own nitch. Ridden hatfied, with my 72" with no problem but I think I could actually drive a 64" car faster on those trails, your top speed is no where near exceeding the 64" capabilities if its set up right with good sway bars and such. For here in Michigan my 72 fits my riding style and where I ride just fine but if Hatfield was where I lived I think I would own a 64". It boils down to where do you ride and is it practical or not, dont buy a 72 if its only needed 5% of the time and dont buy a 64 if you only need it 5% of the time....

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
So all size jokes aside for a moment. Being I live in heavily wooded mountains where a lot of access & connecting trails are generated & used by ATV's &, there are no 72" machines busting trail around here yet that I know of.. why would it be a mistake to get the 64" DS RR I'm planning on getting instead of a 72" that obviously is going to have problems fitting between trees & using these trails that are not accommodating for a big wide 72" machine? Heck, I'll be lucky to get 64" through some of these runs.
I know it's only 10" but that extra 10 has a whole lot of you quite pleased with yourselves & talkin smack like your junk is King Kong donkey dong & their is no good reason to go smaller?

If I could get everywhere around here with a big 72" machine.. well then of course I'd prefer that. But what I really want is to be able to RIDE & access as many places as I can around here where I live.

The only sand riding we'll be doing is in my kids sand box with those little monster trucks & 1:40 size construction vehicles.

Seriously though, if I'm making a mistake going 64" hoping I'll have better trail access I'd really appreciate some knowledge here in addition to the size bravado & tom foolery. Not that I don't love & appreciate tom foolery & schmack talk. I'm just looking for solid insight to base my decision on.

Spending almost 40G is definitely a lot of nut to have buyers remorse over.

Tanx
If it takes 40k$ to buy a ds then I have some ocean front property in Arizona i would like to sell you also. Lol if you would read my previous posts then you would see there’s nothing wrong with a 64” buggy. They are fast on the trail but they will never ride as good as a 72”. I have no restrictions, hell ive taken my 72” through single track before. Lol. If you have restrictions then by all means get a 64” buggy. There is no sand in Kentucky and tenn either. It’s all in what you want out of YOUR purchase .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it takes 40k$ to buy a ds then I have some ocean front property in Arizona i would like to sell you also. Lol if you would read my previous posts then you would see there’s nothing wrong with a 64” buggy. They are fast on the trail but they will never ride as good as a 72”. I have no restrictions, hell ive taken my 72” through single track before. Lol. If you have restrictions then by all means get a 64” buggy. There is no sand in Kentucky and tenn either. It’s all in what you want out of YOUR purchase .

Right, you'd think that price is ridiculous wouldn't you!? Problem is the base X3 DS Turbo RR that's 64" & 195HP starts at 25,099.oo. Then go to the 'build your own' app
2021 Can-Am Maverick X3 : High Performance Side-By-Side vehicles
& throw 7-8 G's in accessories like bumpers, rock sliders, winch, radio, windshields etc.. then, tack 3G's in taxes on top & we're literally coming in just under 40 Grand! I think my first submission came in at around a wee bit over 38K! And that's darn sure close enough for me to throw that big 40G around in my posts for me to feel accurate & truthful.

That's the sad reality of buying new today!
I could buy a bare bones X3 DS Turbo RR for $25,099.oo + tax.
And I'm sure I could pinch & save here & there putting my own accessories on. But, it is already late in the season up here & want it ready to roll when I get it, the way I want it. And right now I'm willing to pay to have that done for me as I feel the difference is frankly worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Well yeah if your gonna pay the stealership to add your accessories then your gonna pay out the ass. It’s your money , I couldn’t do it though . I’d do it all myself and use the extra money to buy more stuff. Plus when you do it yourself you can see how the buggy works and goes together. Which comes in handy when you break down in the woods. No AAA out there. Good luck

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well yeah if your gonna pay the stealership to add your accessories then your gonna pay out the ass. It’s your money , I couldn’t do it though . I’d do it all myself and use the extra money to buy more stuff. Plus when you do it yourself you can see how the buggy works and goes together. Which comes in handy when you break down in the woods. No AAA out there. Good luck

When I was younger I did all that myself too, everything right down to rebuilding my motors. It was ATV's, motorcycles & snowmobiles then. Now I'm older, less 'pliable', with less time & even less desire to deal with the very many things I want done to this machine to get it how I want it. And maybe most fortunately, I'm better off with money to spare to have somebody do all this type of minutia & monkey wrenchin for me.

Besides, I negotiated a bit off on the accessories & labor to the point that I wouldn't be saving too much at all buying & doing things myself. I was ready too. The little I could have saved here & there monetarily would also mean me spending many hours myself on it to have this machine ready. & like they say, when it comes down to it, time is money. Honestly though, at this point in my life, buying time is more worth it than it ever was.Shitza tickin away buddy.

But ya, I absolutely get where you're coming from. In fact, my younger self would scoff at the older me paying a stealership (good one by the way) to do the crapload of accessories I'm getting put on this ride.

And.. Not for nuttin', prices really have gone crazy on recreational motorized rides.
For instance, in 2002 I bought a brand new Banshee for a little over 3K. I can't buy that Banshee used now for that price! Most asking prices are a good additional 1 to 3 thousand above that!
And after just looking, the Yamaha Raptor I bought the same year for a bit over $3,500 is now literally twice the amount of it's 2002 price at $8,199.oo!!!

So I can definitely 100% support anybody wanting to do their own work.

And if I could have walked in to a dealership & bought this machine new in essentially base form with little to no accessories instead having to wait 2 frikin months,.. I more than likely would have done the work myself. That's just not the situation I have to deal with where I live at this time of Corona delays & craziness.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Come on all you wide-glides! Let's get all 'biggy wit' it', keep it on the real side & break it on down!

And Barb, is that 10 inches gonna make a difference between squeezing it in & being just too beaucoup to fit the tight stuff? Inquiring minds wanna know.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Personal Update. After getting the X3 DS RR & hitting the trails around where, I live I have run into several tight spots on the newer ATV trails (not older logging roads) where I just squeeze by between trees. So far there are 2 different spots that actually have me hitting rubber on both sides as I squeeze through!

I know the 72" is just a 'better ride' vs the 64" machines. But I fought with my desire to get the ultimate / best, which BTW also came with the better Smart Shox set-up that does NOT come on any 64" machine, & instead, I decided to go with what I reasoned would be the machine that works best for the riding situations I had readily available to me.

Also worth noting; although I did decide to go with the 195HP RR motor, there is in actuality little to no opportunity to use anything even close to all the horsepower this machine generates on these trails! In reality, I have only been able to open the machine up for no more than a second or 2 at most while taking off in more open situations like an occasional field or when doing some road riding. And truth be told, a truly wide open throttle will almost certainly involve some serious wheel spin that demands one be paying attention & knowing what they're doing so something Stoopid don't happen!

The question this ultimately raises in this riding situation is... does that second or 2 of goosing the throttle wide open & feeling all that extra power warrant paying the 5 grand more in cost for the 195HP RR motor?
To some, it just may not be worth the 5 Grand!
To others, there is just no escaping the Need for Speed!

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
I have a 64" XDSrr & went 72". Immediately hated life & changed it back after 1/2 a ride!
So you bought upper and lower a arms, trailing arms, axles, shocks, brake lines for half a ride? How much money did you blow?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 64" XDSrr & went 72". Immediately hated life & changed it back after 1/2 a ride!
Please do us a favor & enlighten us to the specific reasons exactly why you didn't like (Hated I believe was the word) the 72" & went back to the 64".

I'm loving my '21 XDSRR myself and am continually impressed & more happy with it after every ride! And I've actually just squeezed through several sections of wooded trail that I would have simply been SOL with a 74 incher!

Yes yes YES,.. I am lovin this ride!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A lot of dumb comments mixed in these 4 pages
"Polaris only makes 64" cars" really? I ride with a few friends who have 72" turbo S

"I ride so hard and so fast in the tight woods where a 72" car wont fit and havent rolled yet" are you trying to tell us you ride hard enough with less then 4" of clearance on both sides that you might worry about rolling? Seriously? You're probably going 2mph when its that tight, you could do that in any sxs and ride quality wouldnt be the issue

And my favorite "i would rather have less suspension travel of better quality then more travel of poor quality" do you think the poor quality came from using upgraed Fox shocks they put on the wide cars?

Thanks for the fun read, altough im out west i hardly ever ride the dunes and i would never go back to a 64" car for the trails i ride. I would never put down a 64" car and i bet 99% of the time it wouldnt matter either way

·
Registered
2020 XDSrr Orange again
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Not significantly better handling with 4” more suspension travel
Limits line choices
Even rally style driving too wide
Just simply i enjoy the slot car style opinions like assholes
Requires finesse when navigating tight trails vs hold my purse right foot that I bought the RR for
Maybe Glamis but no thanks I’ve experienced the dark side - I’m scared of the boogie monster

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personal Update. After getting the X3 DS RR & hitting the trails around where, I live I have run into several tight spots on the newer ATV trails (not older logging roads) where I just squeeze by between trees. So far there are 2 different spots that actually have me hitting rubber on both sides as I squeeze through!

I know the 72" is just a 'better ride' vs the 64" machines. But I fought with my desire to get the ultimate / best, which BTW also came with the better Smart Shox set-up that does NOT come on any 64" machine, & instead, I decided to go with what I reasoned would be the machine that works best for the riding situations I had readily available to me.

Also worth noting; although I did decide to go with the 195HP RR motor, there is in actuality little to no opportunity to use anything even close to all the horsepower this machine generates on these trails! In reality, I have only been able to open the machine up for no more than a second or 2 at most while taking off in more open situations like an occasional field or when doing some road riding. And truth be told, a truly wide open throttle will almost certainly involve some serious wheel spin that demands one be paying attention & knowing what they're doing so something Stoopid don't happen!

The question this ultimately raises in this riding situation is... does that second or 2 of goosing the throttle wide open & feeling all that extra power warrant paying the 5 grand more in cost for the 195HP RR motor?
To some, it just may not be worth the 5 Grand!
To others, there is just no escaping the Need for Speed!
Waiting on my RR DS 22 model with the 200HP I will never need! I ride HMT trails and felt my KRX was too slow, but really never had a chance to hold it wide open either for long. Yeah need for speed thing - never grew out of it...

61 - 80 of 83 Posts