Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 X3 DS Turbo R 172 hp. What could be some signs/risks of improper break-in? I babied it the first 10 miles. Then for the next 20 miles varied the speeds on some long distance runs with a couple hard pulls here and there but not quite full throttle. Everything seems to be running running fine but when I checked the oil it seems thin/runny and has a rich smell to it? Is that. It that normal for a brand new machine? Also engine seems to sound very noisy imo?

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Synthetic oil is thin / runny, compared to normal oil. These machines are noisy, no doubt. What you describe seems normal.

Reactions: Darkhorse and Seth

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
208 Posts
Just about as many break-in procedures as there are people with opinions. Even some of the various manufacturers have a different procedure than others with a product that is basically the same. And I've seen these opinions change over the last half-century that I've been building engines. I'm a drag racer and most of us don't have the ability to perform whatever the break-in procedure is that the internet says is absolutely necessary to avoid whatever cataclysmic result they think will happen.

When I build a new race engine I run it on a test stand for a few heat cycles, cut open the oil filter for inspection, adjust the valves, install a new oil filter with oil and drop it in the race car. The engine gets beat hard like it owes me money -- from the first race to the last. My engines have to last several seasons or I'd go broke. Not a lot different from what other drag racers do. And in the nitro classes they rebuild an engine after every run. There is no "break-in" after a rebuild -- fire it and check functionality then tow it the line for the next run. So don't fret the break-in period. No matter what you do, the Earth will not spin out of orbit and plummet into the Sun as many would have you believe. What kills an engine has nothing to do with the break-in procedure. Low oil pressure, overheating, dirt ingestion, rich or lean mixtures -- these are the commoin things that will hurt an engine, not a break-in procedure.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Synthetic oil is thin / runny, compared to normal oil. These machines are noisy, no doubt. What you describe seems normal.
youre generally not supposed to use full synthetic during the break in period.

The engine seems noisy because it is noisy ! lol take your hood and fenders and doors off your car and let us know if the engine sounds noisy :)

You may be getting close to you first oil change, I don't remember the hours for break in, maybe 10 ?

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
youre generally not supposed to use full synthetic during the break in period.

The engine seems noisy because it is noisy ! lol take your hood and fenders and doors off your car and let us know if the engine sounds noisy :)

You may be getting close to you first oil change, I don't remember the hours for break in, maybe 10 ?
Yes, I know. I was just trying to relay how full synthetic is. New machines have a semi synthetic or whatever they call it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes, I know. I was just trying to relay how full synthetic is. New machines have a semi synthetic or whatever they call it.

I know that YOU know that but many people don't, it was easier to copy and reply to your post :) Yup, they use semi-synth. Full synthetic retards break in because of what you mentioned, too slick/slippery and thin

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
I know that YOU know that but many people don't, it was easier to copy and reply to your post :) Yup, they use semi-synth. Full synthetic retards break in because of what you mentioned, too slick/slippery and thin
Copy that.

Reactions: Mudskipper

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
These engines are well designed. This is not a 2 stroke ATV or Motorcycle.

If you follow the manual the break in period is 10 hours, not sure many make it to the 10 hour mark before driving it like they intend to drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Proper break in , drive it like you stole it!!

The link posted above i found and posted several years ago.

You need hard pulls off the line to seat the rings and get the hatch line groves to knock the high points down enough to get to the low points on the rings and sleeves.

Read the articl I feel it worked very well for me

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Aren’t they governed until 10 hours also ?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I’ve always wondered if they are since I’ve read countless posts of people saying it’s governed/won’t reach max rpms until 10 hours. Lots of people reported a noticeable power difference once the factory break in period was over .

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
No, mine was not.

First few mike are the most important.

The point is read the article, if you agree with his logic follow it from now on. If you do not agree follow Can Am's suggestions. Keep in mind if what he says is right and true your rig will break after can am is no longer responsible via warranty. creating more revenue for then and dealers.

5k in mine and no issues so far, and at the dunes it does not get beat often.

It just comes down to opinion, however there is a reason we all come to this forum. Others have much more experience with things we may not know or be strong in. Engine break in for example is one I searched and searched and found someone I really felt knew what they were talking about and aligned with the pros I knew were true.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That’s what I thought, I wonder why so many people say the full power/rpms are governed during the break in period ?
90 in the first 6 miles is ballin’ brother !
enjoy your new ride !

Reactions: Oak Hills
1 - 20 of 22 Posts