Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a commander for about two years now and haven't had a single problem with it. I love it. I just bought a Maverick and have about 100 miles on it without any mechanical problems. My confusion is with the forums. I have followed the commander forum for as long as I have owned my commander and I have followed the maverick forum since the day it was started. On the commander forum, the majority of the people felt that they commander was a better machine than the Razor XP even though they are different machines for different purposes. Many people now believe that the Maverick is better than the Commander even though they are different machines for different purposes. I have to agree with the last opinion as I like the way that the maverick rides much better than my commander. So here is my confusion. I keep hearing tons of people bashing on the maverick because of some of the problems it is having. I understand that the clutch and starter are big problems, but they are resolvable. What gets me is that my buddies have razor XP's and have had tons more problems with their XP's than anything reported on the Mavericks. However, I have noticed that more and more people on this forum are talking about the XP's as though they are a much better machine and some people are even buying them over the Maverick after analyzing both. So if the commander was a better machine than the XP as so many stated in the commander forums, and the maverick is a better machine than the commander, how is it that the XP is now a better machine than the Maverick?

·
Premium Member
8,491 Posts
in my eyes the aftermarket support for Polaris is on point and they jump on anything needed due to sheer volume of parts they can sell. There are shit tons of XP's out there that need parts and people are willing to spend money on fixing their beloved XP's short commings.

Alot of people have drank the Polaris koolaide and purchased their products. Why, because Polaris pumped alot of money into thier advertising and racing campaigns. The general public will believe whatever you tell them if you say it over and over again through advertising.

For the maverick, i think all of the hype since the 2012 sand sports show unveiling was squashed when BRP could not deliver units to the whole country fast enough. Coupled with zero television ads about it and some major clutch problems, BRP is loosing their battle to be on top eventhough they put out a better product than Polaris.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Amerimono, You won't find many (maybe 1 or 2) people on here that believe that statement. You probably see complaints on here about clutches and starters due to the fact that they are new machines and we are exposing their problems. I'm sure there is some whining on here but, when you spend 18,000 on a toy and it gets you 4 miles down the rode before the clutch explodes, the whining is legitament.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ur absolutely right, a clutch and a starter are easily fixable issues. Other than those 2 problems, you have melting plastics and some thin walled a arm mounting tabs. And thats it...overall the machine is badass to the bone. XP's are an easy way to go for some guys because they have a HUGE aftermarket support thats been developed over the last several years. Our aftermarket for the maverick has only had 3 months. We are all here to help each other try to head off potential issues and high potential issues. Thats why we post our findings and opinions. However, some guys on here do carry the mentality that they are above paying to "upgrade" parts that "should" in their opinion be bulletproof from the jump, and instead of offering up valuable info, they piss and moan all the time that their machines are broken. And there are others here that are just flat out more patient than others are. Theres also a select few that do not own mavericks, nor care to own mavericks, nor have even seen a meverick in person that will bash and try to down talk the machine all together. U just gotta look past all the bullshit and try to figure out who is helpful and who is full of shit. U bought a solid FIRST YEAR machine that really has a few tweaks that need to be made and thats about it. 6 months from now theres gonna be triple the aftermarket out there for the maverick. And I guarantee all those naysayers will be runnin to the dealerships to scoop them up one of the same machines they tried to bash earlier on in the year. Polaris aint stupid either, they know when these mav's get dialed in, they are going to loose some serious business. Polaris knows that can am has set the bar with this machine. At first in any market a competitor will try and tweak an already existing product (RZR jagged edge for example) but in the end they figure out that the only way to compete will be a completely new product all together. They'll step it up I'm sure and put something out to top the Maverick. But I seriously doubt Can am gave us all their little goodies they got planned for the maverick on the first production year model.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've had a Commander since they first came out also. I now have a Maverick, It is awesome. My only complaint is the starter I have. Can Am tried to go cheap and sent some out with a different vendor and they failed. Not all of them have the cheap o starter, The first and latest ones have good Denso starters, just like the Commander. The clutch? Not sure, one person with the updated washers broke, who knows who torqued the bolt down correctly? They are not all failing. My Commander had No Issues except it was LOUD! The Maverick is quiet, that makes me very happy after two years of trying to not go fast or feather the gas so I could hear someone talk.

Polaris= Cheap built, but popular. Not for me, if you have one and love it thats all that matters.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I completely agree that the whining is legitimate when something major goes wrong that quickly; however, the 1-2 complainers seem like a bigger group and it makes it difficult to determine what is true, what is opinion, and what is bashing. I was never into machines, cars or anything else that would have taught me anything about engines. I am learning as I go with my commander and my maverick and so I listen to most of you knowledgeable folk about these machines. When I hear some of the complaining and whining, it just catches my attention and causes some worry. Just glad I have had relatively no problems with either of my machines.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I can't do anything but re-hash whats already been said. It's a 1st year production machine. I knew that coming in, and expected to have an issue or 2. EXPECTED. So far my Mav has been flawless (except for some melting plastic). Fixed that too by the way. I did replace my clutch, even though 500 miles into it, mine has not failed (no update yet either). But with the frequency rate of clutch failures, I felt replacment was my best option. The "slippery washers" seemed like a very cheesy bandaid to me, and still didn't address the blowing belt issue. I did what I thought was best for me. No complaints. Matter of fact, I'm still pretty damned pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yup, even after being stranded by the crappy starter which since has been replaced and working fine this machine is amazing, I let my buddy drive it last ride and all he could say is its un believable. The issues will be resolved by Can Am or the aftermarket but rest assured you are starting very very far ahead of the RZR with this first year machine.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mine runs like a raped ape. No problems, my XP driving buddies have nicknamed it the beast.

Reactions: Andy

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I like it, price was right too. Not a good pic but its what I have. royalblue.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been very happy with mine so far.I did expect some problems with a first year machine.I have only had my passenger side tie rod brake.Which after seeing how thin of tubing it was I can see why.The new turn key ones are sweet.We ride at Durham Town plantation in Georgia.They have a race track,trails and a side by side course on 6000acers.I would recommend it to any body.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am so disappointed in my Maverick. I ride with other SXS's and they put me to shame. The sleek sexy styling of the well built, superior suspension, overly powerful Artic Cat Wildcat runs up front and stays there no matter what I do. It's the same story with the comfortable, (one size fits all) Polaris XP 900. All that I can do is putt along and do my best to keep up with the big boys...............SAID: NO ONE EVER!!! CAM00132[1].jpg

Reactions: Clifs maverick

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am so disappointed in my Maverick. I ride with other SXS's and they put me to shame. The sleek sexy styling of the well built, superior suspension, overly powerful Artic Cat Wildcat runs up front and stays there no matter what I do. It's the same story with the comfortable, (one size fits all) Polaris XP 900. All that I can do is putt along and do my best to keep up with the big boys...............SAID: NO ONE EVER!!! View attachment 1196
LMAO ! Dude i was gettin worried till I got to the end hahaha !!! Hey but seriously, doesnt the wildcat look like they stuck some kinda huge ass ground effects kit on a riding lawn mower???

·
Registered
87 Posts
LMAO ! Dude i was gettin worried till I got to the end hahaha !!! Hey but seriously, doesnt the wildcat look like they stuck some kinda huge ass ground effects kit on a riding lawn mower???
In all fairness.....Yes it's the ugliest mother f**ker in the powersports world....did I mention it's junk too?

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Bottom line is that Can-am is like Ferrari and Polaris is like Ford. Try all they want to, it will NEVER be a Can-am. The luxury market will ALWAYS be one or two steps ahead of the products built for the average sheep. I dont care how many times you recreate the Mustang, plaster Carol Shelbys name all over it, its still a stang. Park it beside an Enzo in the parking lot and we know what happens, people choose the Ferrari! Selling units is fine for Polaris, but you can see and feel the science involved in the BRP products and we here are the upper elite group of owners who dont mind a little R&D in the first year and are proud of what we have, and the future of our name brand

1 - 20 of 23 Posts