Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
I tought the 72'' guys were around 17'' height I even read 18''.
i figured 16 wouldnt be that bad.
like Isaid, its surprising how much 2 inches makes a big difference.
17" on 32's for a 72". On 30's 15.5 - 16. The springs will never stop sagging so it may be wise for you to invest in springs. For your 64" on 32's you should aim for 15-15.5". What are the rest of your adjustments set to? I highly recommend jumping on youtube and watching the shock therapy spring install video. They do a great job at explaing how the adjustments affect ride and you'll understand why the fox tune crossover setup is irrelevant once you start readjusting ride height because of sag.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
Drop it back down to where it handled well, then just hit the tall rocks with the tires and quit straddling them. Or drop it back down to 14 where you liked it and get some 33" tires. Keep as close to stock offset on the wheels as possible.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ever since i raised the ride height to 16 inches

(SNIP)

I feel the car is really wobbling around, the handling is not nice point and shoot like it used to be.
I tried stiffening the suspension, which only brought another problem....it rides so f*%^ing harsh now...

So it rides harsh in bumps and rocks, but turns like a bitch and wobbles from left to right when i hit the steering wheel too hard...
Likely you've thrown off alignment or have something loose/worn. Measure/adjust your toe-in and other steering/suspension details, and examine/replace ball joints, bushings, etc.. Give the wheel bearings an inspection as well.

Also, IDK what suggested ride height is for your machine, but go too high, and you'll be replacing CVs before you know it....

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,387 Posts
Fox tune is 14.5" on paper with 29" tires. But stock Big Horns are actually 28" so not sure if they account for that or what. That is with no driver in the car.

So with 32" tires that would be about 16".

If you have an ST spring kit they want you to be at 15" rear and 15.5" front on 30" tires. But that's with a driver and cargo included.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Take some pre-load off your shocks so you can lower the ride height. You have the shocks set up that you are no longer taking advantage of the by-pass zones. Something in the 15" range of ground clearance with you in the car and all your gear would be much better. Also throwing 32" tires on the car will effect how it handles and feels.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Take some pre-load off your shocks so you can lower the ride height. You have the shocks set up that you are no longer taking advantage of the by-pass zones. Something in the 15" range of ground clearance with you in the car and all your gear would be much better. Also throwing 32" tires on the car will effect how it handles and feels.
Lowering the car will put you farther passed the bypass zone at ride height. There will be more shaft in the shock body and the piston will be higher up.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Lowering the car will put you farther passed the bypass zone at ride height. There will be more shaft in the shock body and the piston will be higher up.
Actually I do not think the shocks that come on the DS have internal bypass.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The first post nailed.
I kind of get your idea of lowering the thing lol.
But what if there was a solution...
if there is nothing i can do to have a better handling with 16'' height, i will drop it.
but id like to see if there is anything else i could do to help first.
different suspension settings etc..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Drop it back down to where it handled well, then just hit the tall rocks with the tires and quit straddling them. Or drop it back down to 14 where you liked it and get some 33" tires. Keep as close to stock offset on the wheels as possible.
handled well at 14.. but its too low.
im not stradling the rocks .. but sometimes there is so much of them that 1 of them will be dead center of the machine even if I hit the others with the wheels.
33's dont fit on an XDS from what i read. my 32's sometimes rub in the front when turning and hitting stuff.

I guess ill try 15'' height with the 32's and try to find suspension settings better than this...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I kind of get your idea of lowering the thing lol.
But what if there was a solution...
if there is nothing i can do to have a better handling with 16'' height, i will drop it.
but id like to see if there is anything else i could do to help first.
different suspension settings etc..
Well first, check you wheel alignments, rack slop, bump steer, and slop in the rear wheels from worn radius rods and their mounting locations on both ends. Also the toe link can tend to have a lot of slop where it bolts through the rear hubs they tend to oval out. Loose bolts are even fairly common.

As was mentioned a couple times all that can add up to the thing driving wherever it wants to.

My Kubota tractor has tighter steering than my X3 right now.

Regardless of ride height the car should not be steering itself all over the road.

As far as a harsh ride it could be anything from sagging springs to low nitrogen in the shocks.

You just need to simply go over the car. No doubt you will find slop.

What year? How many miles?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
XDS has RC2's. But not sure to be honest what the difference is between 2.5 and 3.0.

No IBP on the RC2 and why you can only make them so soft. Even after being on my ST tune for the last couple years I've concluded my XDS just rides to harsh for me in the small chop and the primary reason I am going 72" on my next car.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
No IBP on the RC2 and why you can only make them so soft. Even after being on my ST tune for the last couple years I've concluded my XDS just rides to harsh for me in the small chop and the primary reason I am going 72" on my next car.
So the RC2's on an XRS 72" has internal bypass and the RC2's on the 64" do not?

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
So the RC2's on an XRS 72" has internal bypass and the RC2's on the 64" do not?
The shocks on the DS do not have internal bypass.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts