Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since i raised the ride height to 16 inches, my XDS drives like a garbage can with nice wheels.
I have 32 inches tires with 5/2 wheels. the car is around 65 inches.

Would 4/3 wheels be a good idea? 3.5/3.5?

Anyone knows atermarket parts to make the car around 68 inches?

before some of you suggest I buy a xrs 72 inches, I cant. they stop us and measure our car here. the law is 64 for trails, they tolerate 66... but 72 is a no no.

I feel the car is really wobbling around, the handling is not nice point and shoot like it used to be.
I tried stiffening the suspension, which only brought another problem....it rides so f*%^ing harsh now...

So it rides harsh in bumps and rocks, but turns like a bitch and wobbles from left to right when i hit the steering wheel too hard...

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts

Tim

Reactions: AZ Off Road

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,391 Posts
A 4/3 would be a horrible idea in your terrain that would make things even worse. 5/2 at most. The video above will explain all that for you quite well.

There's no fix that will not adversely effect the handling of the car unfortunately as far as increasing width goes.

When you put your 5/2's on you are gave more leverage for the system give feedback in the steering wheel and are allowing the front wheels to go wherever they want kind of thing. You amplified some of the problems many X3's have.

I run 5/2 offset on my 64" car with no real noticeable negative consequences compared to a stock 6/1 package.

One thing you can check is the amount of bump steer in your car. Some X3's are pretty much spot on with no problem. Some are horrible and will have up to 2-4" of bump steer. The reason is, Can Am is not consistent with how high the steering rack is mounted on the frame during production. Offset does not effect bump steer technically, but it can amplify a problem that was already there making it feel worse.

Another problem is slop in the steering rack which compounds the problem even more. Plus the rack will bind with all that slop over amping the DPS unit. The DPS will go into a fail safe mode and the computer will start to cycle the DPS on and off giving you the sensation of even more feedback and instability in a hard corner and or under heavy acceleration.

Sloppy rack, bad bump steer, plus a 5/2 all adds up to make the car not so stable and predictable. Bad wheel alignment can combine with all the above to add even more negative feel to the car. Front wheels will be pointing all over the place at random steering the car left to right at random.

The slop that can develop in the rear wheels is another factor that you can add on top of everything else.

You should be able to make the 5/2 work pretty good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ever since i raised the ride height to 16 inches, my XDS drives like a garbage can with nice wheels.
I have 32 inches tires with 5/2 wheels. the car is around 65 inches.

Would 4/3 wheels be a good idea? 3.5/3.5?

Anyone knows atermarket parts to make the car around 68 inches?

before some of you suggest I buy a xrs 72 inches, I cant. they stop us and measure our car here. the law is 64 for trails, they tolerate 66... but 72 is a no no.

I feel the car is really wobbling around, the handling is not nice point and shoot like it used to be.
I tried stiffening the suspension, which only brought another problem....it rides so f*%^ing harsh now...

So it rides harsh in bumps and rocks, but turns like a bitch and wobbles from left to right when i hit the steering wheel too hard...
I went with 4/3 wheels and 33" rubber which made a noticeable negative difference in high speed handling. It's not uncontrollable but it doesn't "feel" as nice as it did with the stock offset, and I definitely have more steering feedback. My buddy went with 5/2 wheels and 32" rubber and it feels as good as it did with the stock wheels/tires, but as your experience dictates -Results may vary. I should've watched the shock therapy video before I bought wheels.

Like everyone else is pointing out, If the ride height change made that much of a difference in how it handles, perhaps you should lower it back down?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I went with 4/3 wheels and 33" rubber which made a noticeable negative difference in high speed handling. It's not uncontrollable but it doesn't "feel" as nice as it did with the stock offset, and I definitely have more steering feedback. My buddy went with 5/2 wheels and 32" rubber and it feels as good as it did with the stock wheels/tires, but as your experience dictates -Results may vary. I should've watched the shock therapy video before I bought wheels.

Like everyone else is pointing out, If the ride height change made that much of a difference in how it handles, perhaps you should lower it back down?
16" is getting up there for sure on a 64" car. I stick with 30" tires personally on that platform.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Agreed I wouldn't go any taller than 30"
I would drop it down to 14"-15"
Too much offset will affect the geometry and make it handle like crap too
This is a prime example why most of us point people to the 72" platform if they aren't limited to width where they ride
Or you could go with a long arm kit?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Post up some pics front/back of how your car is sitting

Replacing that spongy rear sway bar helped my car more than anything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes 30 inches tires are the best for an XDS. I have a set of 30's and a set of 32's. both on 5+2 wheels.
When I bought the car it was at 13 inches from the dealer. 2020 xds new from the dealer.
Went for a full weekend of ride 1500km with stock tires.
when i got back I raised the car to 14 inches, it was at 12.5 after 1500km of riding.
At 14 inches I was scrapping the skidplate riding fast in the rocks, I even broke a gearbox because a rock striked right under the skid and cracked the damn thing.
But at 14 inches with the 32's tire and 5+2 wheels, and fox shocks tune, The car handling was great!!!
kept it like this for 15 000 km but I always felt i was a little too low because i still grind the skid here and there and each time I hear a rock banging in the rear or If i bounce and i hear the skid scrapping, im scared I broke the transmission again hahaha.
after 15 000km the spring saggged and I was lower so I raised again and decided 16 would be a good height.
I cant believe this 2 inches changes that much!! ( this is also what my date said last night HAHAHA, old perveert joke)

-I am not comfortable riding fast and hard when there is big rocks in the trail if the car is at 14. i feel i am going to break thing.
-I can ride fast and hard at 16 but the handling sucks and faast turns are sketchy a little bit at 16 in. height.
-4+3 rims to widen the car is not a good idea from what I read for trail ridind.
-spacers are junk
maybe 15 inches would be a sweet spot...
or maybe a different tune than the Fox one would help me. ....
-or I keeo it at 16 and in 2000 km it will sag again....
will the spring still sag at 20 000km?

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
456 Posts
If you want a 64" car to maintain the same ride height as a 72" car you will have to accept greater steering angles, suspension angles, and CV angles. Greater suspension angles also means narrower track width. If your springs are sacked then replace them with aftermarket.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also dont forget that switching from 32's to 30's without adjusting the shocks height will indeed drop the cars height but not change the car width.
the car will remain narrower because the suspension is extended

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you want a 64" car to maintain the same ride height as a 72" car you will have to accept greater steering angles, suspension angles, and CV angles. Greater suspension angles also means narrower track width. If your springs are sacked then replace them with aftermarket.
I tought the 72'' guys were around 17'' height I even read 18''.
i figured 16 wouldnt be that bad.
like Isaid, its surprising how much 2 inches makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
what height is yours? we ride in pretty much the same kind of conditions and terrain i believe.
I'm about 15" rear and 15.5" front on 30" tires. So on 32's you want to add an inch to that which is where you are.

You are taller than me with higher ceneter of gravity obviously. But if your car is all over the road I think it's a combination of a few factors some of which amplified by the 5/2 wheels and 32" tires.

I'm on mostly hard pack trail. Gets pretty rocky in spots on the Canadian Shield. My hardest driving is on forest roads/fire roads/back dirt roads. I ride mostly in Frontenac County and Renfrew County Ontario.

These cars are harsh on this type of terrian even at full soft. I'm sick of it lol my shocks are going to Arizona for valving and springs at Shock Therapy Oct. 21 can't wait.

ST steering rack will be here today or tomorrow as well to deal with the slop. My toe can change over an inch now with the steering rack worn out so bad. Rediculous...

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
456 Posts
I tought the 72'' guys were around 17'' height I even read 18''.
i figured 16 wouldnt be that bad.
like Isaid, its surprising how much 2 inches makes a big difference.
I think the recommended height for a 72" car is 16" to 17". I run 17.5" in the rear and 17" in the front. These cars have terrible quality control, you could have a car with zero bump steer or a car with massive bump steer. Maybe you're the latter and when you increased your steering angles you made your bump steer worse. Since your suspension arm angles are steeper you also made the ride harsher. Add in a clapped out piece of shit steering rack and now you have a car that handles poorly and wears you out. Buy some new springs, a new rack, maybe a bump steer delete kit, and lower the car back down a inch or two.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts