Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
now please, before you start flaming me for not using the search function, I'm a member of many forums, clearly understand 'forum rules' and also feel the pain of repeated posts asking the same thing....

That being said, I feel this problem is not the classic "can am clunk" caused from the clutch.

I just finished my 10 hr service. All the fluids definitely looked as though they needed to be changed. Machine had 10.0 hrs and 71 miles. I could not help but notice the front drive line had an excessive amount of slop. I didn't really look into it, just greased the zerks and continued my 10 hr service. I had read someone post about excessive slop (glamisfan?), but hadn't seen any associated problems, however there was enough slop for me to make a mental note and recall that thread on here.

This weekend I put 30 more miles on the machine (100 miles total). Towards the end of the trip it started to make a new clunk. To the point where any good stab of the throttle below ~5-7 mph would likely produce the CLUNK.

Tonight I will be re-torquing all the nuts and bolts.

I have yet to read a post on any of the maverick/commander/outlander/canam forums that state secondary still slaps itself when your moving? I had the classic clunk upon taking off or selecting a gear, but was fully capable of mitigating it by slowly giving it throttle until the gear engaged, then once it engaged in Low or High, I could stab the throttle all I wanted with no clunk...

Now it seems at low speeds, give it gas -> clunk, let off no clunk, give it gas -> clunk, let off no clunk,.....and so on

Any help is greatly appreciated.

*also want to add was riding with my buddy and he's got an xxc. Couldnt reproduce the noise on his machine...

Thank you

*UPDATES and VIDEO BELOW.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
If you can reproduce the problem then take it to the dealer and let them fix it

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Hay B, even my mav has a small clunk. Not like my commander had but it is there. I always try to ease it into gear then go,go, but yours sounds a little more involved. You probably will be able to make the noise in the deals parking so, warranties are a nice thing. Get it in there and get riding.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
check clutch bolts and drive line bolt to diffs

also check all shock and a-arm bolts/bushings steering to

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya guys let the dealer take care of it, I mean it is under warranty!

My fear: I bought out of state and the closest dealer is 1.5 hrs away. Being that I didnt buy from them I'd hate to get the "that's normal" response and shooed away.. Plus if you want it done right, you normally gotta do it yourself. At least that's been my experience.

I guess ultimately I'm trying to clarify if the secondary really only makes noise when selecting gears, or anytime you come to a stop/when your still moving under 10 mph's? The xxc could sometimes make the noise, but only seemed to occur from a complete standstill, which I understand is normal..

Unfortunetly the xxc owner didnt figure out he needs to use low gear more often until he burned some spots in the belt....so his was hard to get under 10mph without it bucking like a mad bull. ha

Thanks benzo...i'll check those puppies first.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I recall someone posting information about a service bulletin about a driveline issue that had a noticeable clunk as a symptom.......I will try to find it later when I can spend some more time behind the computer screen unless anyone else can locate it first.....

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Jacked up the buggy tonight and noticed:
1)Tie rod joints (under the boots) allow a fair amount of movement. If I shimmy the tire or wiggle the steering wheel I can get some clank clank noise.
2)Shocks were a bit loose up front, I could get some movement from lifting the tire. (movement between the shock bolts and the sleeve/bearing)..so I tightened them up.
3)There was considerably more slop in the front driveshaft than the rear. I've attached a video. Please let me know if that is a 'normal' amount of play.

After a quick spin around the yard the noise was MUCH louder and frequent in 2wd than in 4wd. It was difficult to even make it happen in 4wd.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The difference from 2wd to 4wd has me thinking I need to make a trip to the nearest dealer?..

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looks like too much play on that pinion gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts