Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned with the quality of the Can-Am Maverick Tie Rods and A-Arm mounts and the front frame thickness overall. Back a few months AL8Apex mentioned to me "swap out those stock Can-Am Maverick Tie Rods or you will be sorry". I am sure Nick will kick in a I told you so here.

I figured I could get a in few ISDRA Dune trips in before I ordered big MISTAKE !!!. I stuck the Maverick a little hard into a dune sand gap (not a witches eye). The driver side tie-rod snapped like a twig and the driver side lower A-Arm broke off the frame at the front A-Arm mount with the wheel ending up facing sideways. I have stuck my old Rhino many times before without the same occurring (minus the broken tie rods that is) so after getting back I ordered some new 6061 aluminum tie Rods and a front gusset kit from Alex Reed - CT Racing. Thanks Alex.

After this happened in the first week of two of Xmas / New Years holidays, I began to access how this could of happened so easily, I measured (caliper) the A-Arm mount thickness and it comes in at .090". Every other side by side I measured including RZR, WildCat and Teryx were thicker, with the Teryx coming in as the thickest over .125. This does not provide confidence of a machine built for balls-out riding or racing. Was this engineered for cost or weight considerations or both?

There is no question in my mind vendors will be manufacturing a plethora of bolt on and weld on strengthening parts but, why do I have to do this? After owning the Yamaha Rhino and dumping in loads of cash to bring the garden tractor up to Side By Side status. I entered the current side by side market confident that its all built in now, those days are over..... well not so.

I love my Maverick, its a blast to drive. Lets face it the Rotax motor is a phenomenal power plant. The stock seats are super comfy and seat and instrument adjustment are great features. So I guess the $$$'s continue!

First Image is the broken Tie Rod, I think caused the entire holiday downtime.
Can Am Maverick Tie Rod.jpg

Second Image is the side of ripped out A-Arm mount we cut out, we MIG'ed in some #8 washers to the side of the front A-Arm mounts thickening the existing .090 to 3/16" ( .185). The Gussets I ordered from Alex will beef up the back A-Arm mounts and the front ones even more. I will have to get longer bolts for the top and bottom front A-Arm Mounts to install the CT Racing front gusset brace. We also extended the front A-Arm gussets to the front edge of the box frame tubes, not sure why Can-Am left those soooo short.
Can-Am Maverick-driver-lower-front-A-Arm-mount.jpg

Third Image is side view of (in my opinion) a very thin and low quality Can-Am tie-Rod.
ttsideview.jpg

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
1st thing I did when I bought mine 1 years ago today I put turnkey tie rods and full utv front gusset kit and went right to the dunes and did 200 miles and hit sum shit hard and not 1 problem:)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
When people asked on the forum what upgrades to do first. The front tie rods and A-arm gussets are usually the most often recommended.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I was thinking the same as you, that I should be able to get by without installing the tierods. Then I starting thinking, why not go ahead and install both the Holz tierods & UTV gusset kit. I just figured it was cheap insurance. I'm glad I did cuz there were some sharp angles coming off some dunes. It doesn't take that hard of a hit to cause damage. Good luck with the fix.

Reactions: Pnutz

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Guess you should have listened. Let that sink in to everybody else. The tierods are cheap to replace and its good insurance. If your gonna ride her hard you better replace the weak links.:wink: Glad you could get it fixed up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Alan, I hope your post helps others understand the tie rods and gusset kits are a must if your riding hard or especially adding a wider offset wheel.... Now get those AREED shocks and really enjoy the mav.. My opinion shocks then STM clutchs for your next upgrade.. 8)

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Nick, thanks for the spare Tie Rod, I will give it back to you MLK or Presidents weekend, thanks

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I thought they were the same material and design but shorter?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just ordered the gusset kit and tie rods from Alex @ CT Racing as I'm off to Morocco in March for a this Rally Carta-Rallye and don't want any weak areas.... 1600miles!!!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Waiting to see the Gear one rack first...
Are they the company that is releasing the high articulation one? & includes a steering quickener

1 - 20 of 22 Posts