Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this letter today stating since my clutch broke and caused me grief and down time that they were extending my warranty on the CVT system for an additional 6 months. They also said there was a bolt update and to get it done if I haven't already. Kinda nice they at least did that without me asking. I have aftermarket clutches now so it doesn't matter to me really, but it was good to get them to acknowledge the problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Does anyone know if this is just for the people that have had problems?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I hadn't gotten anything from BRP other than acknowledgement of my extended warranty…...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears to be only for the lucky ones that had the clutch explode.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If mines gonna explode then I hope it happens within the 6mo!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't worry about it if you have the updated stud. It looks like a good fix and so far nobody has had an issue.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'll probably get chewed for this cuz its probably in another thread, but my buddy's rotaxed rhino has the same clutch with no problems and are the commanders coming apart. Is the bolt the only difference between ours and those?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I'll probably get chewed for this cuz its probably in another thread, but my buddy's rotaxed rhino has the same clutch with no problems and are the commanders coming apart. Is the bolt the only difference between ours and those?
different clutches in the commanders from what I hear and the increased HP is what is is causing the problem in a round about way. Many believe the Can Am primary clutch design is flawed and due to the design, the outer sheave can spin/slip independent of the inner sheave resulting in belt slippage (resulting in excessive heat and belt wear/failure) and also was the cause of the original bolt failures due to over tightening by the outer sheave slippage. The quick fix was add more slippery washers…..it helped but didn't eliminate the problem. So far the stud has seemed to fix the issue with the bolt failures but the jury is still out on the slippage.

The reason it probably runs fine in the Roto-Rhino and Maverick is due to lower HP numbers and less stress on the primary and outer sheave…..

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got a kiss with my letter........

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
different clutches in the commanders from what I hear and the increased HP is what is is causing the problem in a round about way. Many believe the Can Am primary clutch design is flawed and due to the design, the outer sheave can spin/slip independent of the inner sheave resulting in belt slippage (resulting in excessive heat and belt wear/failure) and also was the cause of the original bolt failures due to over tightening by the outer sheave slippage. The quick fix was add more slippery washers…..it helped but didn't eliminate the problem. So far the stud has seemed to fix the issue with the bolt failures but the jury is still out on the slippage.

The reason it probably runs fine in the Roto-Rhino and Maverick is due to lower HP numbers and less stress on the primary and outer sheave…..
It was the new design clutch that is causing the clutch to slip not the extra 16 hp lol because my turbo commander slipped the primary alittle maybe 1/2 turn a ride but it never broke a bolt

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts