Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if you weld on your car should you unhook the battery so you don't fry anything? I want to make sure before I start welding. Thanks Rob

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with glamisfan better safe then sorry.if you fry the ecm it's like a grand for a new one I think I could be off on price

I would rather by riding then posting

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hard on the battery, same azsand from the old connection?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always unhook the battery

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
wouldn't just disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery be sufficient?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
I never disconnect the battery on anything in the past 25 years I have been welding on vehicles. What is it you think you are protecting by disconnecting the battery ground? The battery..... Everything else is still grounded to the chassis and cable.

If you are really worried about the computer, you should at least unplug it and maybe remove it from the vehicle.

I think it is most important to make sure you have a good ground from your welder and the piece you are welding to. I have seen someone ground the pinion yoke on a rear end to weld the spring perches.....putting all that current through oily pinion bearings! As a joke, I tell by buddies to ground it to the crank snout on the engine so the main bearings get welded.

·
Registered
728 Posts
In the late 90's people did set of an air bag or 2 in cars when welding on them, using wire feed welders. For a while it was recommended that you disable the air bag before welding. The technology got better and we found by having the ground wire close to the weld stopped problems.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I never disconnect the battery on anything in the past 25 years I have been welding on vehicles. What is it you think you are protecting by disconnecting the battery ground? The battery..... Everything else is still grounded to the chassis and cable.

If you are really worried about the computer, you should at least unplug it and maybe remove it from the vehicle.

I think it is most important to make sure you have a good ground from your welder and the piece you are welding to. I have seen someone ground the pinion yoke on a rear end to weld the spring perches.....putting all that current through oily pinion bearings! As a joke, I tell by buddies to ground it to the crank snout on the engine so the main bearings get welded.
This. Most everything is grounded to the frame so disconnecting the battery wont really protect any of your electronics. Just keep your welder ground as close to the weld as possible.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes, always ground as close as possible.
To protect electroincs, unplug them & remove them from the vehicle. At least, unplug them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have welded on vehicles many times also. if im doing alot of welding i'll unplug/unhook. quick repair i dont worry about it. batteries now a days are junk and don't last like they used to. so i would unhook both terminals. batteries don't go bad right away but as i was told it cuts down there life. grounding close and having a good clean contact point helps. I remember reading years ago that most electrical parts go bad from lack of ground. oem is set up to work with all grounds working . but as they get corroded. resistance increases =parts burn out. so if your welding with a weak ground point, it is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Only issue that I have ever seen and it was a real fluke was we were welding a chassis on a custom build car. (Kit Car) Ended up inducing a magnetic field that interfered with the electronics. It was a ball buster. You would mount the computer and everything and it would act up. Dismount it and trouble shoot, run fine. Mount it, same thing. This went on for MONTHS. Finally an old welder brought a magnetometer. I had a pretty strong field in the box. He made a degaussing coil and did some other stuff that looked like voodoo and problem solved.

Back on topic though, keep your ground very close and there will be no problems.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Normally with a conventional electronic system you are okay with keeping the ground close, But with the new buss systems this is not the case. Have seen first hand what happens (and what $$$ it costs in the auto world to fix) when the battery is not disconnected. The other issue is from electromagnetic fields from grounds, cables, guns feeding into wiring and components. The few minutes it takes to disconnect is worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts