Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding this last weekend in southeastern Utah just after a heavy snowfall 2 to 3 feet in some spots and hit a rock that was covered by snow on the edge of the road now my steering wheel seems to be off to the right slightly I can't see anything bent and my machine still drive straight on paved roads any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Could be a bent or kinked front spindle if its not the tierod. Also probably knocked it out of alignment.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
prolly a slight bend in tie rod u cant see

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ive done same thing, its probably the tierod BOLT that bolts it to spindle . Its long and will bend .

Ive replace mine with Allen head bolts , ( allen head bolts are like a 12 grade bolt ) unless you buy stainless , which are junk , 5 grade or less.

Odds are thats where your problem is.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think I hate you sir. All that snow already...I am SUPER jealous. How long from Mn to Utah.........hmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks for the ideas I'll check a few more things and just so you know I had 2 xp900s in our group and I ended up breaking trail the whole day ha ha,sport low and deep snow make for a fun ride

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think I hate you sir. All that snow already...I am SUPER jealous. How long from Mn to Utah.........hmmmmmmmm
About 21 hours last time we went to Moab lol. How does your lower a arm look on that side? That could possibly be bent as well causing the issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A arm looks fine, wheel ok,tie rod looks straight I don't see anything I guess I'll just realign it and see what happens, I hit the left front tire on the rock hard as hell,it ripped the steering wheel out of my hands the visibility was terrible blowing snow and fog. now the steering wheel is off to the right slightly

·
Registered
99 Posts
Same thing happened to me in the snow. Smacked something and the steering wheel is off now by about 45 degrees, but i couldn't find anything bent. That was a year ago, and i haven't had any issues since. I just figured i knocked it out of alignment a bit. Mine doesnt pull either way so im not to worried

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did u check your alignment or at least straighten your steering wheel and also mine drives really straight on a paved road

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Also check your frame where the A-arms mount up to see if you have any slight damage to the frame.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would turn the wheels lock to lock and count how many turns it takes to do so. Divide that by half and you have your centerline. If the wheel is off at that point remove the steering shaft knuckle from the steering stem/steering wheel and move the steering wheel to straight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts