Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back and forth about posting this or not. My wife has told our next door neighborhood (one with the new RZR XP900), called my brother-in-law, her mother or heck maybe even the LA Times. Anyway here goes.

Picked up my new 13 Mav XRS Aug. 21 and joined the forum. Read like a madman. Changed over the tie rods, put on a full STM Rage 3 for fear it might explode. Blingstar doors, harness bar and 3" harnesses, you know the whole 9 yards. The one thing I didn't enter into the equation was human error; aka loose nut on the steering wheel. Arrived at the desert around 7:00 PM and made camp. Couldn't wait to drive the Mav, break it in nice and slow, the motor, the belt, get the a feel for it. So, my oldest boy and I got in the Mav after dinner for a short cruise, first tried 4X4 low, naw this isn't no fun, switched to 4X4 high, OK that's getting there, then switched to 2-Wheel drive high, now that's what I'm talking about. Picked up some speed, the rear end felt kinda loose, like a Ford truck in the rain, but I like it. Found myself putting it into a controlled slide by punching the gas and cranking the wheel, weeeeeeee this is great!!! Got to a long straight and pushed her down to the wood and Wow!!! This thing has some guts. Now let's stop for a second, I'm guessing you folks got a pretty good idea where this is going from here, now realize the last 4-wheel off-road car I owned was a 2180cc mid-engine sand rail that handled like a Porche Carrera, although I sold that in 1987 for $8,500 before the birth of my first son (just a little background which doesn't really mean sh#t). So let's continue, so I'm having a total blast pitching it out on every turn stabbing the throttle on ever straight and being 17 again in my Mach 1 Mustang. I look a head and here comes my camp site about 200 yards away, I can see the fire and my wife and 2 other sons roasting marshmellos. And this is where everything went wrong in a split second. I noticed I was coming in too hot to the camp site, so I pitched it out to show the family what a real expert driver old Dad is. Now its in a left handed slide and the head lights are showing me some pucker bushes on top of humps of sand coming up fast that I'm sliding into, so at the last second I crank the wheel to the right to miss them, still on the gas mind you and the Mav instantly flips over on my side and then onto its top. I'm kinda dazed and confuzed hanging upside down from my harnesse. My son is asking me are you all right Dad, over and over. Yes I say, yes I am. He said, shut off the motor Dad, OK I said and I did. My mind is racing, the fun is over, I am so embarrassed, ashamed, humiliated, feel foolish, stupid, what the hell are you thinking, your 58 yrs. old. Gonna break it in nice and easy, well that's out the window. By now my wife is standing next to me, of course I'm upside down and reading me the riot act. Right now as I'm typing this anxiety is rushing over me and I feel like a stupid asshol#. OK, I un-buckle myself supporting my 205lbs on the steering wheel and crawl out. I'm still getting a good ass chewing from my wife. I asked for help pushing the Mav back on its wheels and the five of us pushed it back over without to much effort. Got the flashlight and looked her over real good. Well, the Turnkey top looked like bowed, the plastic was cracked in several places, the roll bar was just slightly bent towards the passenger side, the hood with the big X on it was scratched bad, the front bumper was bent in towards the driver's side, the Blingstar door on the driver's side was touching the bottom black door sill where it was about an 1.5" before. I then began checking for any compound fractues, stuff that didn't work like knees, hips, shoulders, fingers, any pain, but all was good. My son was fine too. So after about 15 minutes I had my son start the Mav and drive it over to the motorhome and park it, about 75 feet away. Started right up, no smoke, sounded good, parked it. Went in the motorhome took a shower and went to bed. Woke up in the morning and man was my neck sore, oh man my ribs on my left side were really sore, must of hit the Blingstar top door rail with my rib cage. Started the coffee pot and felt like I got in a fight in a bar and lost.
But I kept telling myself the rest of the trip, stupid is what stupid does, if you act the fool you pay the piper. All the time spent in the garage after work every night, installing parts, fitting accessories, time, money, pissed away because you haven't ever grown up, your hair might be gray, but that don't make you smart. OK, OK, Now, I do have Allstate Insurance full coverage, not cheap. I also have 3-years of payments. I'll put it to you gentleman, (A) do you bite the bullet and buy new plastic or crazy glue the cracks shut, pound out the roof, re-fit the Blingstar door, paint the roll bar and door with textured black paint where the rocks scratched them up, or (B) just drive the son-of-a bit#h sounds like you might roll it again, or (C) call the insurance company, take it back to the dealership for an estimate and get the insurance money to fix it back up to near new? One other thing before I go hang myself from the garage rafters, my son said that I didn't shut the engine off for a while due to being dazed and confuzed from the roll over. I asked him how long he thought it was, he said 15 to 20 seconds. When I drove it the next day I thought I heard a ticking coming from the top end of the motor. Now remember I rolled it over with 3.3 miles on it so I don't know if it was ticking all along or not. Runs fine though, there was some engine oil in the pre-filter, but not a lot by any means. I'll check the oil level tomorrow. Well, that's it, let the comments begin, I'm going out the the ski boat now to get the ski rope and retire to the garage.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Just drive it buy an after market cage as they are stronger

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oh man i would be sick. But crap happens. Personally i would get it fixed like new. I mean it is new. I would def consider getting an aftermarket cage. Not ony are they stronger but look BA also.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Keep the insurance for the day you may total, it burns or gets ripped off. It is my understanding it would be treated like any other accident and goes on your record. Fix things the best you can and drive it. You have been initiated Man! Welcome to the world of SxS carnage!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey mavmax, thx for sharing your story. I won't feel so stupid now when it happens to me. Think if this as a good opportunity to upgrade, call insurance co and bite the bullet, cause I wouldn't want new payments on a flipped machine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put mine on the lid first day out too, so don't feel too bad haha. Luckily in my case there was enough snow that i didnt hurt anything to bad. Id say pound the dents out, zip tie stitch the plastic, and look for an after market cage. Add some character. Like you said, probably not the last time it will be on the roof!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Doh. Haven't done it in the Mav yet, but I have ate shit on every toy I have ever owned at least once. A man has got to know his limitations. I'd get an estimate 1st. See what the damages are, and what they will cost. Might be cheaper in the long run to go outa pocket vs increased ins. premiums.

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
with only 3.3 miles i would call the insurance man and get it fixed. Use that roll as a learning experiance and get used to the Mav before acting a fool. We pay for insurance all our lives, use it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My deductible is $1000. I do everything myself, so I'd price it out to see how much it would cost to get it back to decent shape. If it was under 2 grand I'd do it myself. Anymore then that and I'd turn it into insurance. Good luck with whatever you wind up doing!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Gotta at least get an estimate so you know what you're looking at. A good estimator usually finds more damage than you even knew about. And if your cage is tweaked as it sounds then it's now junk. You have to replace that at a minimum and those are pretty spendy unless you just get another stocker. When you look at the estimate you will likely see that it is worth it to go ahead and turn it in to the insurance.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
first, glad to hear everyone was ok. i agree that you need to weigh all of your options. I would at least consult your insurance company and see if they can give you an estimate without reporting the incident. If so, then determine if it is worth fixing yourself or doing a claim. Not sure what your deductible is and if your policy has additional coverage for all of your aftermarket goodies. If so, it may help offset your deductible if you could get the doors and a roof covered in the claim and then possibly repair them instead of buying new ones. The cage is like a helmet. I think they were only designed to sustain one good impact and then get replaced. Not sure I would trust the integrity of it after the accident to keep using it.....again, just glad you and your son are OK and you have a life long story to tell that will have a not so terrible ending to it.

Post up some pics if you can.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
lol, well brother, at least you can say in your late 50's you still have it!!! what I don't know, lol...sorry to hear it, but do thank you for sharing your story. best thing is everybody is ok...every thing else is second. since its brand new, I would highly suggest going to a dealership and finding out what it cost to fix. like glamis suggested.

if its under 2 g, and if your deductible is more than 500 fix it yourself, remember if you buy the parts online you get free shipping and no tax and a good deal, fix your self means no labor, so a 2grand dealer repair may only be 500 in parts. if you get more than 2 grand, or if there is motor issues or other issues, then use insurance

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would simply let the insurance and the shop handle it, regardless of what it sounds like the damage will exceed the deductible, why give yourself a headache ??? turn it in, get it fixed, and consider it a do over. . . .good luck. . . .

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Article was well written! Thanks for sharing. You'll be fine as well as the Mav. Now stop showing off

·
Registered
58 Posts
mavmax i feel your pain, as a young 51yo guy with a new toy it took me 15 minutes on my first ride to roll it.
I quickly learned the Mav handles quite different then a woodsbuggy/railbuggy.
fortunately my damage was not as substantial as yours.
currently i have no insurance so what are you guys paying for full coverage and from who.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can say if you can keep from using you insurance i would. Last summer i totaled my long travel rhino and turned it in. When i bought my Mav back in jan. my insurance was 35 a month till my wreck showed up and went to right at 80 bucks now, thats thru progressive. Just some numbers to thro out there.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Very well written story. I felt like I was there with you n your son for a sec.
I think it all depends on your insurance. Do you have an agent you can talk to, maybe run some dry numbers see if it's worth turning in. If not what your deductible? It's been said but it's worth saying again It's Really Good to Hear You Guys Are All OK.
Now I don't know bout you but my wife would still be throwing me some JABS Everytime she could, probably the quicker this little issue goes away the better. If you did all the work to it though, you could probably fix it too. I have had my Maverick in a million pieces putting a dang snorkel kit on it. Never really thinking I was gonna get it back together but it's fine today. In your story sounds like you have some sons. There's nothing better then getting your kids outta the living room into the garage. LOL....I guess what I'm saying if the numbers work out go ins. If not hit it as a family n no matter how it turns out U WIN.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If your insurance is expensive at your age...unless you have a bad driving record I would file the claim with your current company and get it restored to new. As soon as that is done I'd shop for a better rate and dump them as fast as I can. I have a $500 deductible and pay $170 for the year with Geico and I am not your age which I assume is a good thing for rate, so there's no reason why it should be expensive. There are a lot of companies out there that specialize in recreational vehicles, so I'd look hard at what you are paying.

Mega's right, we pay for it our whole lives...so use it. That's what its there for. Sorry for what you've been through, glad you are ok and learned a lesson, and welcome to the site.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts