Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
you wont see that they look deformed unless you pull the plate off. if you can wiggle the slider back and forth in its little machined valley it sits in, then it has got too hot and squished down a little. when they are machined they are machined almost the exact same size as the little valley they sit in they are a half thousandths wide so they are a tight fit. if yours has gotten so hot that they wiggle side to side then they have been too hot. which is caused from either slipping the belt, or too much load and too much heat. those little sliders dont start to deform untill about 350-380 degrees. so for them to have squished down and lost their shape, they got wicked hot. i have seen alot of them do it, but its almost always from running the pizz out of a machine with the stock secondary. running one with an STM that will backshift properly under loads wont get a belt over 200 degrees. running a stock secondary you will regularly see 290-300. i have not put a mav on the hills with a stock secondary but a few passes on olds on the right side would likely put the belt upwards of 350-380. which is hot enough to melt those sliders.

i am currently testing a new slider, i had a set made back in april. that owner ran that clutch and i just recently got it back to take a look over it and they looked great. some of the new wildcat prototypes i built i included this new slider on as well. i think it will be a short while before i switch over to this new slider because of its ability to take even more abuse.

when can-ams only had the standard OEM belt for the last few years, a standard can-am OEM belt that came on the ATV and commander, this belt would blow up at about 315 degrees. so you would blow a belt before you ever got close to melting a set of sliders. the new maverick belts however will handle tons more heat and abuse. these belts will last lots longer and are pushing the envelope on temps in the clutch. can-am finally got a great belt that will handle some serious abuse, but now i am finding weak spots in other areas. it still takes alot of wide open throttle abuse and alot of load to make a belt get that hot. when the belts get hot they transfer heat to the clutch. when you heat soak a clutch from long term wide open throttle riding you can deform those sliders. you are dangerously close to blowing the belt. not because you are slipping the belt, but because the secondary wont backshift under those high load situations and you get stuck up in too high of a gear ratio and overheat the belt from making it try to do too much work.

cleaning up those guides was a good idea. that happens from sand and dirt in between the sliding surfaces. dont think thats just a CVtech issue, all clutches have that problem. your stock secondary has a BAD one where the helix meets the aluminum clutch. it will gouge out the aluminum clutch fast running in sandy conditions. usually around 1000 miles or so of running in the sand, and you have worn a gouge in the secondary where the helix rides and need to either fix it or put a new inner sheave on the secondary. the QSC, polaris, STM and OEM clutch have the same problem all of the moving surfaces get dirt and sand in between them and they will gouge out the aliuminum over time

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
So I definitely need sliders. In the pictures below you can see that one of them is actually broken. I had it apart just before Thanksgiving and it wasn't broken at that time. Also are pictures of the belt that I just put on is 1.293 inches wide. Which is almost 33 mm. It currently has 1513 miles on it and I put the CVtech on at 650 miles. I did learn this past week not to try a hill that you can't make more than once. I shot up a sand dune and I couldn't make it more than three quarters the way. Then my friend and his new XP 1000 tried it and just barely made it to the top. So I tried it two more times and couldn't do any better. I could smell a little bit a rubber as I was getting near the point that I had to turn out. And then about 30 minutes later after a full speed run down a wash back to camp, my C12 belt through some cogs. All this has me thinking that I really do need to get the STM secondary. Only thing is I don't have the money right now, and I don't really want to put any more money into this thing. Adam, I did get my primary from you so you might still have my information on file. I'll PM you with it just in case.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
i'm surprised you ran that well at all with a broken slider.....

·
Registered
711 Posts
i know they are an expensive addition to something that you have already thrown alot of money at. not alot of folks have the money to keep throwing at these machines.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
You guys gotta get out n ride more... Figure we usually get about 7 months of good riding weather out here a year, and take full advatage of it. Not to mention Glamisfans location...30 min from Glamis, even closer to Superstition, and not much further to Ocotillo, and Plaster City. I gotta drive several hours to get to the places that guy has in his backyard...Am I jealous? you betcha.

Reactions: Glamisfan

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
You guys gotta get out n ride more... Figure we usually get about 7 months of good riding weather out here a year, and take full advatage of it. Not to mention Glamisfans location...30 min from Glamis, even closer to Superstition, and not much further to Ocotillo, and Plaster City. I gotta drive several hours to get to the places that guy has in his backyard...Am I jealous? you bet

Yeah unfortunately the busiest season for my job is during the winter which means its harder to take days off especially when u have vacation pay instead of vacation days

·
Registered
150 Posts
He has more that my commander an maverick combined!
Shit that's more than my commander X, 1000xt outlander, 900 Ranger & now this Maverick all together.
But i admit i have a problem in buying fixing up & selling my stuff, lol.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Adam you still have the same number?
I finally got my 10hrs on & need to come see you.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You guys gotta get out n ride more... Figure we usually get about 7 months of good riding weather out here a year, and take full advatage of it. Not to mention Glamisfans location...30 min from Glamis, even closer to Superstition, and not much further to Ocotillo, and Plaster City. I gotta drive several hours to get to the places that guy has in his backyard...Am I jealous? you betcha.

i have sand here at my test facility to run in and test a machine out. its not alot of sand but its enough sand to dial a clutch in for sand conditions. BUT its worth it for me to drive 27 hours to glamis twice a year. i wish i could come more. i just dont physically have it in me. driving 15 hours straight one day and 12 the next to get to glamis is a rough pull BUT it is absolutely worth it. i love it out there and dont mind the drive just to be able to ride in glamis. amazing is the only word for it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i have sand here at my test facility to run in and test a machine out. its not alot of sand but its enough sand to dial a clutch in for sand conditions. BUT its worth it for me to drive 27 hours to glamis twice a year. i wish i could come more. i just dont physically have it in me. driving 15 hours straight one day and 12 the next to get to glamis is a rough pull BUT it is absolutely worth it. i love it out there and dont mind the drive just to be able to ride in glamis. amazing is the only word for it.
You know they make planes now:wink:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Well, it looks like I'll be getting a STM secondary after all! Thanks Adam!
Good move. Did you read my post that I made that hill. The first time I was only in 2 wheel drive because my fuse was blown to my 4wd selector. On Sat, just before dark in 4wd a whole new ball game!! I think my clutches were the difference.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts