Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Well that blows Adam. Glad I got to meet you face to face, and do some tuning on my clutch befor things went south on you. I'll look for you Presidents weekend.

·
Registered
711 Posts
actually had to turn away some payments. because without my cell phone working, i had no interwebs, so i could not take payments. i did not make a dime out of the trip. could have sold plenty of belts, but nobody had cash, and i had no backup way of taking payments once my internet would not load. i had a guy with a blown up belt on a maverick max that showed up and said "do you have a clutch if you do and it wont blow belts i need it now" i said sure i have a few different setups, but the full STM is probably your best bet and i began to explain to him how it works and why it does what it does, he as happy and needed the clutch belt and clutch cover adaptor BUT did not have cash. thats a $2300 sale i lost because i had no internet. plus i had guys looking for me that i could not call, and could not call me, and the dunes is a hard place to find folks without being able to call them and locate them. i was in a great area just 100 yards from vendor row right on the main trail looking right at vendor row. BUT without all my stuff working right, i might as well have been in a different state it does no good do be in the desert without communication.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
actually had to turn away some payments. because without my cell phone working, i had no interwebs, so i could not take payments. i did not make a dime out of the trip. could have sold plenty of belts, but nobody had cash, and i had no backup way of taking payments once my internet would not load. i had a guy with a blown up belt on a maverick max that showed up and said "do you have a clutch if you do and it wont blow belts i need it now" i said sure i have a few different setups, but the full STM is probably your best bet and i began to explain to him how it works and why it does what it does, he as happy and needed the clutch belt and clutch cover adaptor BUT did not have cash. thats a $2300 sale i lost because i had no internet. plus i had guys looking for me that i could not call, and could not call me, and the dunes is a hard place to find folks without being able to call them and locate them. i was in a great area just 100 yards from vendor row right on the main trail looking right at vendor row. BUT without all my stuff working right, i might as well have been in a different state it does no good do be in the desert without communication.

Are you selling the STM stuff too? I thought you only did your own clutch machining for some reason. So if I can plan to make it to the dunes for Glamis and call ahead you could possibly bring a clutch for me to buy and have tuned on the spot? Cash?

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Are you selling the STM stuff too? I thought you only did your own clutch machining for some reason. So if I can plan to make it to the dunes for Glamis and call ahead you could possibly bring a clutch for me to buy and have tuned on the spot? Cash?
Yup he is the one i bought from. I would suggest to buy them and have it shipped to you. Then drive it in the terrain you mostly ride in and then tell Adam what you like or do not like. then meet up with him to fine tune it. Not all mavs are the same and everyones driving style is different. Its well work the investment.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
dang it that sucks,

u should of used the customers phone have him paid u paypal ! lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mega being Mega, had to go sit in the corner for a time out...lol
Adam did some tuning on my CVTech as well. I lost more top end, but gained a bunch on the bottom. Mega and me raced at the drags, and I pull him for for the 1st couple hundred feet, by 300 feet he blows by me like I'm sitting still. But my Mav dunes great, and pulls harder on the hills than ever befor. Still would like to see more top end though.

andy i did have two rides over to the sand drag strip. it apparently rained more over on that side over by gecko the sand was alot firmer and had alot more load on the machines that i took over there for tuning they felt quite a bit slower than normal because of how heavy the wet sand was. out closer to olds and the washes the sand seemed much drier and more fluffy with less load. your larger paddles may have been what slowed you down over on the sand drags on the big end and mikes shaved down paddles helped him plane out on top with less load on the engine. your more aggressive paddle allowed you to bite out of the hole much harder, but that aggressive bite and lots of roll out on your tire made it drag you down alot more on the big end. where his trimmed down tires offered him less traction out of the hole but less load on the big end so his top speed seemed better.

you get dirt tires on your machine and go run it full throttle. your top speed is still there. you just had too much load out there to pull to top speed.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
It was a pretty big difference on top Adam. The paddles may have given me the hole shot, but I'm not sure Mike's 20/80 cuts are not going to give him a 9 mph advantage. I love how hard it pulls on the hill, and like I said it dunes great. Drags aren't a big concern, but I would like to see a little more on top. I'll run it in the dirt and see how it is, and who knows I might have to try Benzo's paddle setup

·
Registered
711 Posts
with the current calibration on your primary, you SHOULD have more top end than you had with the previous calibration. the current spring is a softer rate, and allows the primary to upshift faster and further. if your top speed was limited i would think it would be more of a load or power issue. the current clutch calibration should be upshifting much further and faster than the previous calibration.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Andy, pull the cover off and rev the engine up with it in neutral to see if the primary fully shifts out. The belt should stick out of the primary at full revs. Mine doesn't and I'm down 12 mph top speed! I believe that the plastic sliders are already worn down and that's causing the loss of top speed for me.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Speaking of sliders. If I have problems with mine, can they be ordered from you airdam?

·
Registered
711 Posts
yes i have them and will give you guys a set no problem.

andys had a little slack in them, i replaced them anyway. his guides has a good bit of rough texture to them from the sand and dust getting in between the clutch and sliders. i smoothed it out with a scotchbrite and put a new set on.

glamisfan i will send you a new set if you think yours are worn.

the sliders dont necessarily wear down. they are a compound that will run thousands of miles with no problems. what is happeneing to them though is you guys running the snot out of your machines without an STM secondary, running the stock secondary that wont backshift under loads, means that you are overloading the belt from the clutches upshifting into too high of a gear ratio and not being able to pull back into a lower gear ratio under loads and its overheating the belt terribly. once you overheat the belt it transfers this heat to the primary and the sliders will melt and deform. when they deform they dont operate quite like they should, they have more resistance on the primary sliding open and closed, which leads to things not working like they should.

what belt are you running. if the belt wont come all the way out of the top there are 2 reasons this can happen.

1) aftermarket belt that is narrower than stock wont travel as far up the sheavs of the primary
2) worn out belt that is narrower than stock wont travel as far up the sheaves of the primary.

can you measure your belt and see how wide it is? it should be 32.5mm or wider in order to be able to push up out of the top of the primary. if its any narrower it wont barely touch the top. if its under 32mm it wont even come all the way to the top.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'll measure it out later today and post it up. I had it apart a week ago and the sliders didn't look deformed. But there was some scratching in the inner half of the primary that they ride in. Looked like too much dirt and sand had been getting in there and staying in there? I used a polishing wheel on a Dremel to clean up the primary a little.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts