Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My .02 worth..........
I'm a little disappointed :disappointed:, but not completely put off. :popped out:
After what I've reviewed, it looks like the duners got about all they need to start out with except paddles from the factory
For my personal taste (backwoods riding for the most part), I would have like to have seen an XT model or something like it including, but not limited to: QE front differential or manually lockable, power steering, front and rear bumpers (with 2" receiver), winch, drop in bed liner and 14" XT type wheels. I don't know what the advantages are with 12" rims, over 14", if any on the Xrs model. As far as the beadlocks go, if you have ever manually broken down a 14" XT wheel/tire, you would see real quick why I wouldn't require beadlocks.
Also, the Maverick width is only a couple more inches wider (3" I think) than the Commander with 2" wheel spaces, so for the most part I could easily live with the width. Personally, I would like to have seen 1 or 2 more inches of ground clearance, in stock form.
All things considered, I will be waiting for lots of feedback before I will be adding a new Man-Toy. If the diff/trans noise didn't go away, I don't think I'll be interested even at that.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes it should be a homerun for the duners, but I agree with you it leaves a little to be desired for the trail riders so far. Who knows they mite tweek it some in the near future. Don't know if I'll wait to find out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Its not just you XTcntn . but i do like the beadlocks for my riding, But i cant live without the QE and DPS for my terrain .

Can Am is just Screwing us on the first year by holding back EXISTING technology ( that we have all screamed for, for 2-1/2 yrs .

Just so they can add it to the next yrs model.

Im 1st and 2nd on the list at my dealer. I had them start the list WAY back when it was still just speculation . BUT now I fell like Can Am thinks we are STUPID consumers.

It will cost me another 2 grand to add QE and PS .

They probally have a few thousand regular visco difs that they dont want to get Stuck with. So , dump them in a awsome new rig. and consumers will buy , and spend our HARD earned cash to Update ourselves. i already have a pile of stock crap piled in the corner of garage , like alot of others.

I like everything else about the Maverick. love the width and length.

I dont need anymore junk visco difs pilled up in garage,. WHY WHY did Can Am FALL SHORT of a PERFECT machine ??? I feel Violated

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My .02 worth..........
I'm a little disappointed :disappointed:, but not completely put off. :popped out:
After what I've reviewed, it looks like the duners got about all they need to start out with except paddles from the factory
For my personal taste (backwoods riding for the most part), I would have like to have seen an XT model or something like it including, but not limited to: QE front differential or manually lockable, power steering, front and rear bumpers (with 2" receiver), winch, drop in bed liner and 14" XT type wheels. I don't know what the advantages are with 12" rims, over 14", if any on the Xrs model. As far as the beadlocks go, if you have ever manually broken down a 14" XT wheel/tire, you would see real quick why I wouldn't require beadlocks.
Also, the Maverick width is only a couple more inches wider (3" I think) than the Commander with 2" wheel spaces, so for the most part I could easily live with the width. Personally, I would like to have seen 1 or 2 more inches of ground clearance, in stock form.
All things considered, I will be waiting for lots of feedback before I will be adding a new Man-Toy. If the diff/trans noise didn't go away, I don't think I'll be interested even at that.

sounds like they already make a machine for what you described, "the commander".. now im not trying to start crap but some of you want the maverick but with a whole pile of commander stuff on it wich puts it back to a commander. listen you dont see sport quads like the ds 450 with outlander racks on it cause its purpose built, you want racks you buy the outlander. now you want a winch, bed, xt wheels, ect ect you buy the commander...just sayin, the mav is purpose built!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like they already make a machine for what you described, "the commander".. now im not trying to start crap but some of you want the maverick but with a whole pile of commander stuff on it wich puts it back to a commander. listen you dont see sport quads like the ds 450 with outlander racks on it cause its purpose built, you want racks you buy the outlander. now you want a winch, bed, xt wheels, ect ect you buy the commander...just sayin, the mav is purpose built!!!
Yep, I've got a Commander, but where is my 101 HP with higher compression, improved airbox, factory duals and twin injectors?
I've got my Commander just about the way I want it with exception to a few more Horses.
Either way, trading or adding a new machine "up" is not a matter of a "few accessories" it's a major change on either, for us woods riders to get what we want power for the commander or another bucket load of what should be standard equipment on the Maverick. Hell, name it the "hillbilly" I don't care!
Why would BRP have "downgraded" the front differential from QE on the Maverick? QE was standard on the 2013 Commander and with factory available OEM accessories, it would have been the best of both worlds if BRP had a specific model Mavericak with my suggestions on it "out of the box". I guarantee, it would be as hot a seller, if not better than the Xrc model.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
im just saying this pure sport thing goes back as far as sport motocross bikes and evrything else pure sport. the pure sport machines always have more hp and less neccities or however u spell it..lol. but anyways thats how it usually is. for example look at the new popo ranger, its got the xp engine but they down tuned it to 62-65 hp, its not pure sport and either is the commander.

I think most ppl are thinking this is a utility sxs and not a race sxs... if your racing this mav on a moto type track where ya gona need qe.. its a race machine not a woods machine..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am too. I was hoping for more suspension travel than my xp, better 4wd system than that visco junk, and that the engine placement would be different. I guess I'll wait for the next best thing...

·
Registered
10 Posts
A lot of us are all disappointed in this release. Can-Am too aim the Dune and Desert folks but missed the mark on the trail, rock and mud guys. It's been said they watch these forums well maybe they will take heed and release a TRAIL READY version that has the QE, DPS/EPS, 14 inch beadlocks, Real Front and Rear Bumpers with 2 inch receivers, Rock Sliders, UHMW Skid plates a pre-installed winch standard. My guess is they will call it a limited and it will cost 20k plus.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree racers don't need QE, but how many people are buying one just to race?
A very very small percentage of the "potential customer" market, I assure you.
On top of that, I'm sure BRP didn't spend the amount of R&D just to sell a few thousand "racer" Maverics for use only out in the back fourty

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whatever, it "would" be, at least it would be a specific model with the majority of the goodies out of the box.
Cost, I don't think is "the" most major factor in what machine we all purchase as an end user.
Whatever it costs, it costs. At least there would be a model to compare costs with, taking into account what "most desired" options are on it to begin with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What we can hope is that this model is called the XRS, instead of just the X because they intend to have multiple X packages, such as the XXC, XMX and XMR ATV models. XXC would be very hard for me to say no to. For riding trails I would have to think long and hard on the Maverick vs the XP, with the Mavericks main advantage being my love of the V-twin and loyalty to Can Am, XP advantage being DPS and better 4WD.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What we can hope is that this model is called the XRS, instead of just the X because they intend to have multiple X packages, such as the XXC, XMX and XMR ATV models. XXC would be very hard for me to say no to. For riding trails I would have to think long and hard on the Maverick vs the XP, with the Mavericks main advantage being my love of the V-twin and loyalty to Can Am, XP advantage being DPS and better 4WD.

Already an XRS. It's the racing model that has upgraded Shocks and graphics like the Commander "X" model

Question: Do the Maverick come standard with Skid Plates? I see where there is an option for Aluminum, but I don't see where it states that any specific model comes with skids..................

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
i have to ask then,,, what is the commander for- if the mav is gonna have all the same stuff as the commander. I guess it wouldnt be compared to the xp or wildcat if it came like that. I agree power steering and what the hell qe to, it just sounds like some r trying to make it a commander again.
on a side note the xp and wildcat dont have a winch or a receiver

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
the mav, xp, wildcat are all pure sport machines that are capable of going trail/mud/crawling ect, but still there manly focused on race, hints the name pure sport.

Im not trying to fight here but y do u think some ppl were taking off all that stuff on the commanders...to make it more sporty and now they dont have to. now canam has both "pure sport" and "sport utility"

·
Registered
664 Posts
My plan is to take the power steering off my Commander before I sell it and put it on my Maverick. I'm thinking it will bolt right on. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the mav, xp, wildcat are all pure sport machines that are capable of going trail/mud/crawling ect, but still there manly focused on race, hints the name pure sport.

Im not trying to fight here but y do u think some ppl were taking off all that stuff on the commanders...to make it more sporty and now they dont have to. now canam has both "pure sport" and "sport utility"

Nofight here either, Bubba. I guess we'll have to agree that we disagree.
Ground clearance, Long Travel, QE front Diff, Increased HP and Power Steering goes a long way in the woods too.
Some trails we travel or would like to travel on, the Commander wouldn't have 2 of the 4 wheels on the ground to even get started on for the most part. (Trail 10 Windrock, if I remember correctly). We all like to be challenged with our riding, but it's nice to know that you have a machine that is capable of going the distance. From what I've seen, none of the other manufacturers are capable of doing it either. I don't see any 1 manufacturer out there that is head and shoulders above the rest and It could have been with this 1 just by introducing another model "package", simply by using available OEM parts. I’m like OLDGUY, I run out of room to store take-off parts that you cannot recover 50% of your $ on

·
Registered
10 Posts
If anyone thinks Can-Ams target is anything but Dune/Desert folks with the Maverick Here is something I just saw on facebook. We’re Searching For The True Maverick | Can-Am Off-Road

We’re searching for the TRUE MAVERICK
By now, you’ve seen or heard about the first-ever 101-horsepower SxS, the Can-Am ® Maverick ™. Although it’s not available in dealerships until spring, we know you want to ride one. We’re here to help with the chance of a lifetime.
What does it take?
We are looking for the TRUE MAVERICK to become immortalized as THE face of Can-Am SxS riding and star in his or her own online show!And here’s the best part — if you pass the show’s challenges, YOU’LL WIN A BRAND NEW MAVERICK. To be chosen, you have to be someone that stands out from the crowd. We’re not only looking for a great dune rider, but someone with an outgoing personality. If you are an outgoing person that makes friends easily and rides the dunes harder than anyone you know, find out how to enter below!
Want to be famous and potentially win a brand new Maverick? Apply here!
-Answer the following questions and email to [email protected]
-Why do you deserve to be the True Maverick?​
-What has you most intrigued about the new Can-Am Maverick?​
-Describe your sand and dune riding experience.
-What ATVs or SxS’s do you currently own?​
-Are you able to attend all four days of the following event?​
-Glamis, California, November 22-25
-Include yourfull name, street address, city, state, zip code, and phone number in your email.​
-Send us any photos or video links you may have that help prove you are a True Maverick.​
Note: Proper safety gear and safe riding are required for consideration of videos and photos. If you don’t have a helmet and responsible riding gear, we won’t use the video or photo.​
HURRY! THE SEARCH ENDS OCTOBER 12!
I turned read and highlighted what I was talking about in my earlier post. Also note the Email Addie this is a Can-Am sponsored give away.

Back to what I am was saying. My hope is Can-Am will release a Trail version of the Maverick with some or all of the options we all are talking about if they want the trail side of the market. As the Maverick sits right now it is a Dune and Desert Race machine. Not a hill climbing, trail riding mud bogging monster a lot of us out east would want.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If anyone thinks Can-Ams target is anything but Dune/Desert folks with the Maverick Here is something I just saw on facebook. We’re Searching For The True Maverick | Can-Am Off-Road

I turned read and highlighted what I was talking about in my earlier post. Also note the Email Addie this is a Can-Am sponsored give away.

Back to what I am was saying. My hope is Can-Am will release a Trail version of the Maverick with some or all of the options we all are talking about if they want the trail side of the market. As the Maverick sits right now it is a Dune and Desert Race machine. Not a hill climbing, trail riding mud bogging monster a lot of us out east would want.

I concur with your comment 100% and still gonna wait a while. I've got a ride, not looking and not settling for less than I want. Whoever comes up with it by spring or early summer next year, will "win/earn" some of my hard earned $$$s

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I submitted my entry and said I didn't have any experience with dunes but if I had a Maverick I would get some. LOL

I'm gonna submit an entry and tell them I played in the sandbox a whole lot when I was a kid :haha:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts