Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking at SXS now for almost 2 years and I think I am finally in a position to buy one. I have hung out on the RZR forum, Wildcat forum & Commander forum and I just find it crazy some of the trash talking that goes on. I know it is just like Ford or Chevy-Auto or Manul- Budwiser or Coors and the list could go on and on.

People complain about the price for a CanAm SXS but looking at the Polaris web site I'm not seeing how a CanAm costs more than RZR. The Maverick X rs is $17,499 and to compare apples to apples the Walker Evans LE XP is $18,199 so to me the CanAm is $700 less. And the regular Maverick is $15,999 and the base XP is $15,999 so they are the same price. So what am I missing here? Now the next issue is that I am running out of patience and want to buy a rig NOW!!!!!! So someone talk some sense into me so I don't go buy a XP this weekend and hold out til January for a Maverick. I was all good on the waiting til I was picking up parts for a Harley I am working on and looked at the Walker Evans XP. I almost made a deal right then and there. And yes I know all about the fit and finish issues with Polaris and that the CanAm will be worth the wait. As we all know my one issue with the Maverick is the front diff. I really wish they would come up with something better.

So let's hear it NOW...............................I'm getting out my check book....................................Someone stop me PLEASE!!!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
You can buy a rzr now then 2 months from now you'll wish you waited on the maverick... Can am accessories is what cost $$$$$.. Wait on the maverick, I have a feeling it's going to be worth it!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you bought the XP now how much riding are you going to get in till the Maverick release? If not a whole lot then why not just wait?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Have you sat in a Commander? Or test driven a Maverick? That's one of the HUGE selling points for me! My dealer sells Can Am and Polaris, and I jumped in an xp, and then a Commander, and at that point the rzr lineup became a joke to me!!! Also, I'm a fabricator, and my last sxs was a race Rhino that I built. IMHO, Can Am knows how to build a chassis, and Polaris definitely does not!

·
Registered
11 Posts
STOP !!
Dont buy anything till Polaris has there end of year release which is due to happen in Glamis 30 days from today !!
Then you'll have the luxury of choosing from Can Am's new release the Maverick and also Polaris's new release TBA.
How would you like to plunk down $18k for a Walker Evans and then have Polaris release some kind of amazing answer
to the Mav and WC just a few days later ?? Patience my friend patients....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been looking at SXS now for almost 2 years and I think I am finally in a position to buy one. I have hung out on the RZR forum, Wildcat forum & Commander forum and I just find it crazy some of the trash talking that goes on. I know it is just like Ford or Chevy-Auto or Manul- Budwiser or Coors and the list could go on and on.

People complain about the price for a CanAm SXS but looking at the Polaris web site I'm not seeing how a CanAm costs more than RZR. The Maverick X rs is $17,499 and to compare apples to apples the Walker Evans LE XP is $18,199 so to me the CanAm is $700 less. And the regular Maverick is $15,999 and the base XP is $15,999 so they are the same price. So what am I missing here? Now the next issue is that I am running out of patience and want to buy a rig NOW!!!!!! So someone talk some sense into me so I don't go buy a XP this weekend and hold out til January for a Maverick. I was all good on the waiting til I was picking up parts for a Harley I am working on and looked at the Walker Evans XP. I almost made a deal right then and there. And yes I know all about the fit and finish issues with Polaris and that the CanAm will be worth the wait. As we all know my one issue with the Maverick is the front diff. I really wish they would come up with something better.

So let's hear it NOW...............................I'm getting out my check book....................................Someone stop me PLEASE!!!!!
Do not whip out the checkbook on a Poo product!!! I dont own either one. But I do live in poos home town, and I would NOT ever buy a poo product! We did buy their atvs from 92-03 had 14 of them in that time frame on the farm. We onnly bought them cause my dad could get the employee discount. They were complete JUNK. You name it we had the problem. Yes that was a long time ago now, but it leaves a bad taste in you mouth. In fact I worked at the toy factory for 7 yrs (thats when I started buying skidoo and can-am) and the most important tool on the assembly line is a big sledge hammer and long prybar! I have owned skidoo and Can-am atvs and sleds. Always had good luck with them. So if it were me. I would wait till the maverick shows up and the whip out the checkbook! But... Thats just me:smile:
And The RZR is built in mexico.... yeah yeah I know the can ams are also. But im not sure if the commanders and the maverick are/will be built there or not???

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
i had the commander and now have the xp and never had a problem with either but i would choose the xp again over the commander!!. the commanders are noisey as hell and vibrate compared to the xp and are a bitch to work on, ya cant get to anything easy.. I sure hope the mav is quieter, but its still gonna be a bitch to work on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the front diff?? I do not like this limited slip junk. I run ARB air lockers in both my trail Jeeps and just don't like the idea of not knowing when it is or isn't going to work. And I need true 4wheel drive sometimes to get over some roots or rocks. That is my biggest issue with the Maverick. If I could buy an aftermarket locker for it I'd be golden but no one makes one that I know of.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
St222,
I know about the qe but is it really any better? It is still just a limited slip isn't it? I know it locks up quicker but it isn't a 100% lock is it.?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It's a heck of alot better I can crawl through alot of stuff now that I woul just get stuck in before

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Driller,
Are you saying it is better with the qe? But is it still a limited slip or not? It doesn't ever lock 100% does it? I wonder if you could machine a lunch box locker say for a Suzuki down small enough to work in the front diff?

Maybe I should get a used front and play with it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm pretty sure that they both completely lock up. The non qe takes 1 1/2 - 3 revolutions till it locks up, and the qe takes 1/2 - 3/4. That is how many revolutions the back tires and the one front tire without traction have to spin before the other front tire locks up. I did find a thread that said you can weld up the front diff. But I wouldn't want that.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
And I asked a rep about the Mav front diff, and he said that it doesn't take 3 revolutions to lock like the first visco's did. He said it locks up much quicker.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm pretty sure that they both completely lock up. The non qe takes 1 1/2 - 3 revolutions till it locks up, and the qe takes 1/2 - 3/4. That is how many revolutions the back tires and the one front tire without traction have to spin before the other front tire locks up. I did find a thread that said you can weld up the front diff. But I wouldn't want that.
No they don't 100% lock up. They both are limited slip diffs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey at least we have more choices now...
just 5 years ago the first 50" RZR-800 came out. Now look at all the options we have!

I would wait and see what Polaris announces on Jan 1. but what ever model you choose you will have a great time with it, so don't have any regrets.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We're waiting it out. I really like the Maverick especially after driving it, so much better than our Commander but I want to see what Polaris is going to release before I pull the trigger again.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
The Can Am and the Polaris will always approach the UTV market differently and which one you purchased is likely based on what type of consumer you are. The Can Am builds a quality product that is built to last. The frame is solid and very sturdy. The Rotax motor is one of the best built and most reliable motors on the market. The pistons are nearly indestructible, the crank is solid like a Tundra, and the valves don't float!! The design of the Can Am is spot on for its target market. The commander/maverick is a torque monster that uses a solid powerful V-Twin to do its work. HP is the not the key with this UTV but torque. Polaris seems to be market/profit/numbers driven and not looking at their product for the long haul. The XP has the weakest frame on the market. The motor is a parallel twin using HP and high rpms verses torque. This motor is doesn't have the solid crank or cases that is present in the Rotax motor. Yet even with a cheaper design from the frame to the motor it still is price about the same as the Can Am. Its like buying a Hyundai for the same price as a Lexus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts