Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sprayed the passenger side with 5 coats, after masking everything off.
i like it ! i plan to do the same thing to mine except with automotive style paint and clear it so maybe itll be shinier to match slightly better! however if i scratch mine im screwed where if you scratch yours you can peel off a layer and redo! but ill deal with that as it comes.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
What did you use? I was thinking of wrapping the side yellow pieces to black them out. Since I installed my doors, the back half is blacked out but I need to black out the yellow pieces in front of the doors.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow! It does look good. So you didn't say was how much prep you had to do, like did you use anything to cleaners on the plastic so the dip would stick? So just like the Cmdr's it took awhile before the all black Cmdr's were releasted. Still looks bada__ in the pictues.:cool2:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wiped it down with McGuire's spray detailer and a microfiber. This stuff sticks to anything according to the directions. Soap and water should be fine to clean it also. I just learned about Plastidip a little while back, and then studied up on YouTube! I'm gonna run it with the yellow covered for a while, and if it does well, I just might spray the entire body!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol to clean the piece. And then apply plastidip, i did my truck grille. Holding up through winter so far. Waiting to see how it does with bugs this spring/summer.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Is the Plastidip a soft or hard surface, what I'm getting at is how do you think it will hold up against tree branches & brush rubbing down the side on the trails.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's fairly hard. I don't think it will like branches, but I think it will do ok against bushes. I'll find out over the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It's fairly hard. I don't think it will like branches, but I think it will do ok against bushes. I'll find out over the next couple of weeks.
I did Plastidip on one of my quads, and it held up reasonably well, but after a Gorman trip, where I went thru (literaly rode right thru) a couple of bushes, it did get scratched pretty bad. But that kinda thing would have screwed any finish.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Does the plastidip give the panels a smooth finish like paint or is it kind of a rough texture almost like orange peel. I just noticed that it sprays in a spatter spray not a smooth spray like paint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts