Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a graph of our baseline run on our dyno. Let me say our numbers are going to be lower than some others. One we do not skew the numbers and two the way we put them on the dyno it has always read low. The main thing to notice in the future is the difference in HP because we will put it right back just like it was on the dyno after what ever mod. Our way to put it on there takes the how hard you strap it down out of the equation.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I love we finally have someone stepping up to the plate that is going to show us what helps and what is just smoke and mirrors. Thank you Todd. You've got my business should I need anything you carry.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Initial numbers don't truly matter as some dyno's read differently than other others. For example my dad had a local shop install full Muzzy's, Power Commander, and STM/QSC clutch setup. Before they worked on tuning it it only did 55hp. After tuning and getting the a/f right it made 71hp. And while the shop didn't dyno his in stock trim they have another stock Mav coming in next week that they're going to strap down for a baseline. We're thinking this dyno reads low though, the shops drag quad, which has done ~100hp on other dynos, only made in the 80's on their own dyno.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love we finally have someone stepping up to the plate that is going to show us what helps and what is just smoke and mirrors. Thank you Todd. You've got my business should I need anything you carry.
X2!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah your dyno reads way low for sure.But I understand your just setting up to notice actual difference. However since your starting at this low of a number your percentage change will be skewed. Since 10% of 51hp is 5hp and 10% of 101hp is 10hp. So you need to only state the actual hp gained and not percantage increase.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
There are others that have tested it but you choose not to believe them. Altho, it sounds like you will trust Todd.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah your dyno reads way low for sure.But I understand your just setting up to notice actual difference. However since your starting at this low of a number your percentage change will be skewed. Since 10% of 51hp is 5hp and 10% of 101hp is 10hp. So you need to only state the actual hp gained and not percantage increase.
I never state percentage only actual numbers.

I have yet to see anyone elses dyno chart on the Maverick and I can tell you when someone is using some load control by looking at the graph. I had to start off at 15mph because either the stock clutching was allowing it to bang off limiter or tires spinning but either way all test on the maverick will start at 15 mph. Nothing to read down low anyway, the lines on the graph almost always go straight up in that area.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are others that have tested it but you choose not to believe them. Altho, it sounds like you will trust Todd.
Of course he will trust me, I said I won't lie!!! LOL!!!

Actually I really won't, they are what they are and if products we want to sell do not produce any useful gain or purpose then we won't sell them. It will suck but we won't

Todd

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have yet to see anyone elses dyno chart on the Maverick and I can tell you when someone is using some load control by looking at the graph.
Here ya go!

Why would anyone want to run load control? That only serves to lower the numbers.
My Mav dynoed at 71RWHP, which pretty much equates to the advertised 101hp, since the CVT system usually has a 30% loss.

Mav Power.jpg

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Here is where the stock mav engine makes peak power:

Notice that the power peak is around 8000, but could be a little higher, since the stock rev limiter closes the throttle after 8000rpms.

mav power peak.jpg

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here ya go!

Why would anyone want to run load control? That only serves to lower the numbers.
My Mav dynoed at 71RWHP, which pretty much equates to the advertised 101hp, since the CVT system usually has a 30% loss.

View attachment 3324
I will have to disagree with you adding load will make the HP jump up, only people who do it are people who want to cheat the numbers.

Even though our peak numbers are different the curve looks the same. As mentioned always low on ours due to the way we do it.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is where the stock mav engine makes peak power:

Notice that the power peak is around 8000, but could be a little higher, since the stock rev limiter closes the throttle after 8000rpms.

View attachment 3325
I will disagree with you here too. I went back to the dyno and scaled the graph like yours then looked at peak HP and RPM, it was at 7700 which goes along with the results of Dalton where he found the Maverick to be the quickest at 7650-7700.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I will have to disagree with you adding load will make the HP jump up, only people who do it are people who want to cheat the numbers.

Even though our peak numbers are different the curve looks the same. As mentioned always low on ours due to the way we do it.
Yes, peak numbers don't matter much.

Why are you tying it down a certain way to make it read less, or even incorrectly?

When you speak of load, are you meaning the eddy current load on the dyno? I have a Dynojet 250ix, and every time I add load, it'll read lower, since there is less power available to spin the rollers, since the eddy brake is taking power to apply the load. I would think the computer is smart enuf to compensate for the load, but it doesn't seem so on mine. All my runs are just inertia only.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I will disagree with you here too. I went back to the dyno and scaled the graph like yours then looked at peak HP and RPM, it was at 7700 which goes along with the results of Dalton where he found the Maverick to be the quickest at 7650-7700.
So you locked up the clutch, & pulled the Maverick to find peak power? That's the only way to see the power, since the CVT will skew the results, dynoed any other way.

Post the dyno run scaled like mine is, power on the side, RPM's on the bottom.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, peak numbers don't matter much.

Why are you tying it down a certain way to make it read less, or even incorrectly?

When you speak of load, are you meaning the eddy current load on the dyno? I have a Dynojet 250ix, and every time I add load, it'll read lower, since there is less power available to spin the rollers, since the eddy brake is taking power to apply the load. I would think the computer is smart enuf to compensate for the load, but it doesn't seem so on mine. All my runs are just inertia only.
When you apply load with my eddy currect peak HP goes way up.

I do not strap it down or have any downward pressure on the rear wheels at all. I have it set up so the numbers do not change depending on how tight you put the straps.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you locked up the clutch, & pulled the Maverick to find peak power? That's the only way to see the power, since the CVT will skew the results, dynoed any other way.

Post the dyno run scaled like mine is, power on the side, RPM's on the bottom.
We already know peak power, 101 so says BRP and no I do not lock them up, never found a good use and those numbers do not mean anything to anyone but us. So I am just dynoing it the way it is, adding the mod and rerunning it the same way. What I am measuring is what HP is hitting the ground before and after the mod.

I just went down and put 160lbs in the bed of the Maverick to stop or control wheel spin, HP numbers went up 2.5 HP and peak HP was at 7650 as is and again that is identical to what Dalton got on times runs for best shift speed.

I'm not here to argue the numbers just show gains or not with mods.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
When you apply load with my eddy currect peak HP goes way up.

I do not strap it down or have any downward pressure on the rear wheels at all. I have it set up so the numbers do not change depending on how tight you put the straps.
I use a chain at the rear of the ATV, then a strap in front. Simply adjust the chain until the wheels are centered on the drums, then tie down & pull.

Tighter means lower numbers, (assuming it's not spinning) looser means higher numbers, since tighter pulls the tires down, looser makes the tires roll easier.

If you're reading that much lower, it's not because of the way you're strapping it down. Even if I pull mine as tight as I can tie the tie downs, it won't vary HP by over 2RWHP.

I use drag radials to dyno everything, they don't slip, and don't require much pressure, and roll really smooth. Stock mud tires wear rather quickly, and tend to slip.

What model dyno are you using?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts