Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went and did our standard, remove the filters in the Mavericks case and put lid back on then remove lid and filters doing a dyno run each time.

The graph below shows the baseline the new one with 160lbs in the bed we will continue to use to control tire spin, the one with no filters and one with not filters or lid.

Just like every other vehicle we ever did this test on the gains are nothing and the air/fuel ratio changes too little to amount to anything. As bad as I want to sell another product I can't sell a intake or filter based on adding HP, I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thats good info

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I just went and did our standard, remove the filters in the Mavericks case and put lid back on then remove lid and filters doing a dyno run each time.

The graph below shows the baseline the new one with 160lbs in the bed we will continue to use to control tire spin, the one with no filters and one with not filters or lid.

Just like every other vehicle we ever did this test on the gains are nothing and the air/fuel ratio changes too little to amount to anything. As bad as I want to sell another product I can't sell a intake or filter based on adding HP, I don't see it happening.

This is exactly what I'm seeing.

No power by removing the airbox completely, so how can any airbox, stock or otherwise, make any more power?

The 1000 ATV's are the same way.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I assume this means do the best filter you can with keeping contaminants out of your engine and forget the idea of it creating more power. Am I right? =)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
at least with stock exhaust
Now were cooking with peanut oil.!!!!
I can tell you this. I could feel a slight difference in the throttle response with my muzzy. It seems like it breathes and rev's easier with the cat removed.

If the stock exhaust cat already inhibits the flow with a stock intake ,it will not increase flow by just adding a better flowing intake.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes this means no need in buying a intake with stock engine and exhaust and yes I will test it again with exhaust.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
So then the Turnkey race air intake isn't going to do anything for you on a stock engine correct?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hunterworks, what did your post filter look like before you took it out? Was it over oiled? Did you have a 1/2" of oil in the bottom of the air box?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yes this means no need in buying a intake with stock engine and exhaust and yes I will test it again with exhaust.
This will be the true test because you can't expect the engine to pull more air in if it can't push it out . The cat limits the exhaust from flowing so hopefully the test with the aftermarket exhaust will show a little improvement.

Todd, I just want say that I and most likely other Maverick owners appreciate all your effort in testing the various set ups. I know it's a lot of painstaking work to validate new performance products. It also can create alot of controversy but in the end it should help all of us to make more inform purchases. Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What we all really need is an "unlocked" ECM.
Yes, it's being worked on. BRP has their gizmo that does away with the shaft saver, works great, but everyone can't get them. The low 8000 rev limiter is still there too, making a lot of high rpm power unreachable, without an ecu.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
This will be the true test because you can't expect the engine to pull more air in if it can't push it out . The cat limits the exhaust from flowing so hopefully the test with the aftermarket exhaust will show a little improvement.

Todd, I just want say that I and most likely other Maverick owners appreciate all your effort in testing the various set ups. I know it's a lot of painstaking work to validate new performance products. It also can create alot of controversy but in the end it should help all of us to make more inform purchases. Thank you!!!!

keep going todd ur doing good !

Reactions: st222

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
So this also means that a k&N, true air, etc won't make more hp, right?
That's correct, even with an exhaust, there isn't any more power to be had.
As far as power, BRP has done good with the exhaust & intake, there is no power to be had with either one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Going to assume this dyno run was done with a stock ecu with no mods which means the results are not real world accurate. On a dyno the ecu cuts torque and power at the same level. Any results w out proper set up for dyno will show what your seeing. There can be gains from mods, but you wont see them on any dyno unless its done properly. There are gains to be made. But to see them on the dyno you must know how to not have the limiters kick in. I am sure some reading this will call bs. But it is the case. For certain our exhaust puts out more power.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, it's being worked on. BRP has their gizmo that does away with the shaft saver, works great, but everyone can't get them. The low 8000 rev limiter is still there too, making a lot of high rpm power unreachable, without an ecu.
Could you use a ViPec on the Maverick?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts