Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
What about all the guys that were blowing belts to the fact that the clutch was slipping. Yeah, they jumped ship on the stock primary and went with a after market clutch because as they we're seeing there belts blowing apart due to the clutch slipping and with enough time were going to have a failure from the bolt being over tightening. Why wait for a possible failure to take out the primary, the secondary and the cvt cover, when BRP only covers the clutch problem for the first six months. Yeah, know that it's been going on for a little while its not a problem to get them to cover it, but that wasn't the case for people in the beginning. So, I guess my point is why would people keep a clutch that is loud when it engages, didn't always have a correct shift out and had you blowing belts at a $150 a piece. For what? To be left in the woods broken down and unable to ride. So, I'm only guessing that before BRP would've had the first bandaid fix out, if guys hadn't done something themselves, the numbers would've been quiet a bit higher than they ever were. Just because most of my buddies can walk through the swamp without getting bitten by an alligator, is it really worth it to me to risk it? My answer was no, because when I'm finally able to ride, I don't want to have to worry about a clutch that might or might not get me back to the camp. I'm glad that the numbers have gone down on the failures and that one of the problems of the correct shift out is probably going to be corrected by a clutch kit. Sorry for the long post but, the guys that had to deal with this clutch problem should've never had to fight with this POS design in the first place when were already having problems with our lower horse power commanders slipping. And of course they new about it because, my 2012 commander had a slippery washer bandaid on the stock primary as well. Did they not realize they needed to lock the dam thing together like every other single manufacturer. Just had to give my .02 cents?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
What about all the guys that were blowing belts to the fact that the clutch was slipping. Yeah, they jumped ship on the stock primary and went with a after market clutch because as they we're seeing there belts blowing apart due to the clutch slipping and with enough time were going to have a failure from the bolt being over tightening. Why wait for a possible failure to take out the primary, the secondary and the cvt cover, when BRP only covers the clutch problem for the first six months. Yeah, know that it's been going on for a little while its not a problem to get them to cover it, but that wasn't the case for people in the beginning. So, I guess my point is why would people keep a clutch that is loud when it engages, didn't always have a correct shift out and had you blowing belts at a $150 a piece. For what? To be left in the woods broken down and unable to ride. So, I'm only guessing that before BRP would've had the first bandaid fix out, if guys hadn't done something themselves, the numbers would've been quiet a bit higher than they ever were. Just because most of my buddies can walk through the swamp without getting bitten by an alligator, is it really worth it to me to risk it? My answer was no, because when I'm finally able to ride, I don't want to have to worry about a clutch that might or might not get me back to the camp. I'm glad that the numbers have gone down on the failures and that one of the problems of the correct shift out is probably going to be corrected by a clutch kit. Sorry for the long post but, the guys that had to deal with this clutch problem should've never had to fight with this POS design in the first place when were already having problems with our lower horse power commanders slipping. And of course they new about it because, my 2012 commander had a slippery washer bandaid on the stock primary as well. Did they not realize they needed to lock the dam thing together like every other single manufacturer. Just had to give my .02 cents?
Well said!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree 100% and approve this message.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The flip side of this coin is where does it end? $1400-$2000 for a new clutch, new rims and tires to deal with rocks tearing your machine up, new tie rods because they are weak, gusset kits, it goes on and on and on. My issue is you spend 20k on a machine that then needs another what....$4000 to make it SAFE AND RELIABLE? Shame on BRP. I love the Maverick...but it never seems to end....problem after problem. If you recovered your investment when it came to trading it in or selling it? It'd be tolerable. But you get no return of investment. Sure, you can't put a price on fun...and you want to play with the big boys it isn't cheap. But man, it does get disheartening sometimes. Hollow tie rods to save a couple bucks on a 20k machine? That one really irritates me...because that is a major safety issue. Watching all the issues that really should not be there bothers me. And yep, Polaris has it's own issues I get that. But they are all selfish and wrong then.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think the tie rods are designed to break instead of the rack bending etc. The problem is, some people hit stuff and they break, what you can believe people hit when they say theirs broke is another story. I have hit some big dips on mine and they are fine, I did put on the HOLZ last week just to be on the safer side. I get what you are saying though.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The flip side of this coin is where does it end? $1400-$2000 for a new clutch, new rims and tires to deal with rocks tearing your machine up, new tie rods because they are weak, gusset kits, it goes on and on and on. My issue is you spend 20k on a machine that then needs another what....$4000 to make it SAFE AND RELIABLE? Shame on BRP. I love the Maverick...but it never seems to end....problem after problem. If you recovered your investment when it came to trading it in or selling it? It'd be tolerable. But you get no return of investment. Sure, you can't put a price on fun...and you want to play with the big boys it isn't cheap. But man, it does get disheartening sometimes. Hollow tie rods to save a couple bucks on a 20k machine? That one really irritates me...because that is a major safety issue. Watching all the issues that really should not be there bothers me. And yep, Polaris has it's own issues I get that. But they are all selfish and wrong then.
I hear ya.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Compared to the other brands on the market, the Maverick seems very reliable.. No engine block leaks, no stator failures, no crank or valve failures, no broken reverse chains, split drive shafts, exploding starter drives, cracked blocks. Very few diff or axle failures, the frame is very rugged. All of the brands have crap tie rods. Most need gussets, half of them have clutch issues.
The price for some CT tie rods and front gusset is cheap insurance. As for the clutch, hopefully BRP has it taken care of, if not they will keep at it until its cured. The $ for the STM was also insurance, and can sell it when done.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I don't think the seat latch is a safe design either. You really need to check if its totally engaged. I bet someone gets really hurt or killed if they don't have a harness setup. At least on the 2013 Mavericks.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I have 1000 miles of driving it like its a Trophy Truck, and no bent tie rods here! They are made to be the weak link, instead of something more serious. I have 40 years of desert off roading experience. For people to bend the tie rod, they're doing something wrong! Most people would call it an accident. But nooooooo, everyone here blames BRP. Ok, end of rant.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I agree with you Glamisfan but I want to do wheelies and some mild jumps so I am not confident in that pencil stick of a tie rod to make it. I rather buy some stronger tie rods and sell my stock one to offset some of the cost of the beefier ones. But like you are probably thinking, better to break a tie rod than the components that the tie rod is attached too.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
On I've done a ton to my Mav and its held up. But the idea of it being possible that the tie rod let's go and I flip end over end? And what over $20 in extra material for them? Silly, and dumb in my opinion. I have mine getting Holz on as we speak. Every time I got over 50 all I could think is if for some reason that lets go its likely all over. Couldn't handle it, so I had to fix it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
This is kit is just $249, one of the kits we sell is $355 for the Teryx.

don't shoot the messenger. Keep in mind there are a lot of fingers in the pie. The set screw people, the machine shop who make the weights, the heat treaters, the coating people, the bushing makers, the bushing installing people, the spring makers then comes Dalton, distributors and dealers. And for that price they are shipped twice from canada to me and to you so Fedex and UPS has their finger in the pie.

Crap, I hope we are making money at this!!!
I knew it, sooner or later everything gets blamed on Bush!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Just like the rinkles in the front of a car frame...there made to be the weak and forgiving part

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have 1000 miles of driving it like its a Trophy Truck, and no bent tie rods here! They are made to be the weak link, instead of something more serious. I have 40 years of desert off roading experience. For people to bend the tie rod, they're doing something wrong! Most people would call it an accident. But nooooooo, everyone here blames BRP. Ok, end of rant.
I know most will call bullshit but I bent mine and hit nothing nor did I ramp anything. Yes it was a very slight bend and you wouldn't have known it if you didn't inspect your machine after every ride but if i DIDN'T inspect it and would have hauled ass and hit a slight dip, I could of ended up like Barb. I can understand there being a fuse in the steering system but these peice of shit tie rods are as big of a joke as the clutch.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts