Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I would still tell dalton to wake up and come back to earth on his price for a maverick clutch kit which contains (1) $ 40 dollar spring we need weights ehhh don't need them , , we don't need to pay 200 for his testing he wants to make a product and sell it that's normal for all the testing that needs to be done to make sure a product ur selling (Dalton) not u , is good or not,

and plus we rather have u test it for free like u do to make sure its a good product b4 u sell it- not him, hes the maker, lol

I have made a complaint to Dalton and told him the only issue I had is price compared to other kits. His reply and I support it is it just cost, it is not the parts but the testing.

What I can tell you is after using and selling Dalton kits for 5 years, I can tell you if you have stock clutches, stock engine or minor engine mods and you are wanting better clutch calibration or the ability to adjust for tires, sand riding, heavy loads etc nothing beats them for performance and ease of use.

If Dalton makes a kit for it, then it needed clutch calibration from the factory. If it does not need some particular part of the clutch such as springs or weights he does not put them in the kits. Example, some vehicle kits only have springs, some have primary springs only with weights, some have secondary springs with weights etc. There is absolutely no generic replace all parts in the clutch kits like some do. I have learned to simply trust Dalton and do exactly what they say do and have had nothing but success with it.

Hunterworks won't sell junk and this kit is no exception, we also would not sell it until we got one for our own Maverick that we bought to test said products for, not because we wanted another UTV.

Todd

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I see what Benzo is saying but as a snowmobiler, It's normal to see clutch kits in the $250 range. The last clutch work I did on my snowmobile, I bought the springs and weights separately and the cost dropped substantially. I remember paying like $30 for a performance spring from skidoo (BRP).

Also all the clutch kits I ever installed were for the primary. I've actually never modified a secondary so far.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
there's 6 arm/weights things and 2 springs and we get 1 spring and 3 weights , lol - maybe that's all we need but maybe send the other 3 arm's lol

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So how did the kit work for you ST222?
I didn't get it put in yet. My dealer is gonna call me when my new clutches come in from canam, wich I'm hopeing tomorrow. So soon as they come in I'm taking it there and there gonna do everything at once, even the recall clutch stud bolt thing.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I would still tell dalton to wake up and come back to earth on his price for a maverick clutch kit which contains (1) $ 40 dollar spring we need weights ehhh don't need them , , we don't need to pay 200 for his testing he wants to make a product and sell it that's normal for all the testing that needs to be done to make sure a product ur selling (Dalton) not u , is good or not,

and plus we rather have u test it for free like u do to make sure its a good product b4 u sell it- not him, hes the maker, lol
I believe the price should allow them to make a profit but they are trying to cover the cost of r&d in each kit. With this pricing they must not believe they will sell many so they need to get it cover in every one. Besides R&D is part of the cost of doing business.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I've never seen a clutch kit drop in price even years later. Dalton knows the market and what it will bear.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That does make it right. It's taking advantage because they know the can-am clutch is garbage.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ill take a used cv tech for $600 b4 - $250 on a spring LOL

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm not saying it is. I don't know if I would say they were taking advantage of a bad clutch issue as much as I would say that clutch kits in powersports are typically in this range at least my experience with the snowmobiles. I don't think a kit of this type with r&d should be $250 but if people buy it then what reason do they have to reduce price? It's like professional sports and people paying ridiculous seat prices to watch the game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, ...interesting comments.
I've just came home from a very busy weekend at my sons motocross race and dead tired from a couple days of wrenching and a long drive, but I knew Todd was working on some things and thought I'd check in here.I find the comments interesting!.

We have a good reputation in can am atv clutch calibration, and have been selling these similar parts to can am dealers at similar kit forms and prices for a long time. We sell these kits primarily to Can am dealers...but also work with many racers, etc. Possibly it is one of the lower priced clutch calibrations for this model?, has anyone checked?
This kit for the Maverick is not much price difference from similar kits we have done for years, and there was a substantial cost to develop some new things that could not be carried over from other kits or flyweights. The adjustable flyweight in this model is not from any other kit, and was developed specifically for this application. It is a critical component in the calibration, not only for the adjustablity for different tire sizes and terrains, etc...but also for a more accurate calibration even for stock tires and regular trail applications
.Here is a link to our can am web page to see compareable prices on similar applications.
http://www.daltonindustries.com/products_canambrp_clutchkits.asp

Has anyone here recently looked at the price of a set of billet flyweights for ANYTHING lately?
(as mentioned , snowmobilers are pretty well aware)......here, ...even better, has anyone looked at the price of even simple powdered metal flyweights just replacement ones from Can Am?
.....maybe a mis-wording or misunderstanding, but not anyone paying any big money for R&D here, sometimes R& D is for new parts that will serve many different applications in future.....has anyone priced the tooling charges for TWO different special injection molds for this project? .....flyweights from other can am models do not fit this clutch...and even the bushing material can am uses is different on this model.
We also use a new material and molding process that was a long term development (4 months) with the supplier, and there was tooling and molds for a new material in two different forms for the bushing and special thrust washers. This stuff wasn't done for other models, it was specific to the new maverick clutch and we have more development still going on.

I guess not everyone, but from the sounds of things, some would probably not even be able to guess close to what was spent...and we even do it on some models that never have the volume that was required, but we develop them still sometimes.

...but in the end it is all a simple process:
A manufacturer decides to look into and see if a project you want to work on is worth doing. If a product /service is thought to be a benefit to end user, we make a decision to develop and offer something...or not

...and then the public does testing, sees benefit or not, ...and the product will sell ...or not.

If someone like Todd can sell you a adjustable kit with a set up manual and help you solve problems for $249.....( not a lot more than a new factory belt or a dealer doing a service for you) Why be negative?
Heck, I was just reading through some stuff here. Some people jumped all over him for trying to test a few products and give info. Some people seemed to only see the "glass half empty" and tell him he was doing it wrong? Wow ! ..from what I've come to know of Todd at Hunterworks, he is sincere in wanting to work with solid products he feels comfortable to sell. I must admit, I find the forum world odd sometimes. Sometimes certain groups on these type of forums can prevent input that could contribute lots of good info?....

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Ummm. I think most members are appreciative of the knowledge gained on this forum by those who comment on their experience and know how. There may be some constructive criticism going on buts only to get accurate facts and knowledge to make an informed decision on products purchased or modifications one wants to make to his or her big investment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, you are correct. I guess that is why i thought I'd post to explain better the prices. But there also seems a bit of negative initial reaction sometimes on here from some things i've read. Maybe sometimes there are better ways to go about it than to slam right off the bat. Sorry for intruding.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yes, you are correct. I guess that is why i thought I'd post to explain better the prices. But there also seems a bit of negative initial reaction sometimes on here from some things i've read. Maybe sometimes there are better ways to go about it than to slam right off the bat. Sorry for intruding.

U do have a good write up and story but - if u sold the kit for say $150 , u would sell 3 times more kits to people and people will be more happy and u still make the same or more after dealing with a few more customers ! But yes if it did fix both problems primary and secondary it would be a easy decision for 250 !

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You're not intruding. Yes some members could have a more tactful way of commenting but I think you have to be somewhat thick skinned in this forum because you're dealing with all kinds of characters on this forum.

Also something else to consider. There is some "rape" pricing going on with products in this power sport. I'm not saying Dalton or Hunterworks is guilty of it but some members are more sensitive to it than others.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I have 1200 miles on my mav that IV bin dealing with this rpm problem. At this point of me being pissed off like a mo fo, I woulda payed twice that to fix it!!. I mean if i had the money at the time i was gonna buy the 1400 dollar clutches to fix the rpm problem. I just couldn't come up with the 1400 or so for a completely new clutch, and why do ppl think 1400 is exceptable for new clutches, that's just crazy prices. I can change the oil in my work van for about 25 bucks, but in the mav it cost 40 plus WTF!
I think dalton came out with a pretty fair priced kit to take care of the lame ass rpm problem!!..just sayin

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
st222 - Did you ever get your clutch issue resolved? If so, what was the majic fix?

·
Registered
244 Posts
talked to my dealer today and they are going to be installing Dalton kit in another mav mine only will go to 7650 rpm and drop apparently the dealers have a forum to look up issues and the spring problem is being discussed . they are going to put kit in the other mav and get his feedback

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
are the dealers installing these kits under brp warranty ?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
st222 - Did you ever get your clutch issue resolved? If so, what was the majic fix?
I'm taking it in in the morning. I had to wait for canam to send me new clutches (under warranty) and they came in today, and dalton industries hooked me up with one of there clutch kits... So as soon as the dealer is done doing all the clutch warranty stuff I will be updating this thread!!

21 - 40 of 155 Posts