Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand using a micro switch mounted near shifter and a relay to operate backup lights, but how would I add an additional dash toggle switch to turn on the lights when not in reverse?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I understand using a micro switch mounted near shifter and a relay to operate backup lights, but how would I add an additional dash toggle switch to turn on the lights when not in reverse?
1-Grab a key on hot to common on reverse micro.
-From n/o micro to lights.
*reverse lights*

2-Grab key on hot to common on dash reverse light switch.
-Tie n/o from dash switch in parallel between shifter micro and lights. (going around reverse micro)
*now you have dash switch control when not in reverse *

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just saw that your using a relay.

If you wire it so the reverse micro is going to "pick" a relay coil, you'll have to run a key on hot to a n/c on the relay to heat your dash switch so you can use it while relay is "low/dropped" or run another relay. If your using LED's that don't draw a ton of current the switches can usually handle the contact current, it's an option to simplify the wiring by using switch control only.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brayla, Ill just be running two lights with a total of 6 leds. I wont need to use diodes to prevent backflow current to the other switch? I usually don't overanalyize these things but figure ill get a clear picture while parts are coming in.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Wish I understood the language of electricity. :disappointed: oh well we all have weakness'

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For all you electronic geniuses bickering over the low sport harness, can someone draw me a diagram for adding a micro switch and toggle switch to my back up lights using a relay :) Its probably a simple task that I cant seem to visualize.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks Brayla, Ill just be running two lights with a total of 6 leds. I wont need to use diodes to prevent backflow current to the other switch? I usually don't overanalyize these things but figure ill get a clear picture while parts are coming in.
Try not to flip the switch when your in reverse :-D seriously tho, if you use a relay go the route of normally closed relay contacts to run the dash switch, this will serve as an electrical interlock because if your relay is high (reverse micro made up) your contacts feeding dash switch will open making it inoperable. Clear as mud!?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try not to flip the switch when your in reverse :-D seriously tho, if you use a relay go the route of normally closed relay contacts to run the dash switch, this will serve as an electrical interlock because if your relay is high (reverse micro made up) your contacts feeding dash switch will open making it inoperable. Clear as mud!?
Say whaaaaat? I thought of using the relay just in case I added more lights. I need pictures :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I could just wire both switches together to the relay, shouldn't matter that both switches have power to them? Is this what your saying Brayla?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hopefully this will clear up your confusion. The way I've drawn it is the reverse lights will only illuminate if the ignition switch is on, automatically in reverse or on demand with the switch. The red wire marked "+12 volt switched power in" could be changed to a constant feed if you wish to be able to turn on the reverse lights without having the ignition switch turned on.

*Edit* using this method with terminal #87 attached to the battery you can use any type/size light you want (provided the wire & fuse you use is large enough to carry the current). Likewise you should use the same size wire for terminal #30 as you did to terminal #87

The wire size isn't critical on terminal #85 and #86 as the relay itself draws very little current.

And this chart should help you decide what size wire to run to your lights.

·
Banned
546 Posts
You dont really a circuit like with controlled with a relay. Just run Keyed fused 12v to micro then to light + then ground the bulb side.. 90% of Micro switches can handle the circuit load fine!

·
Banned
546 Posts
Hopefully this will clear up your confusion. The way I've drawn it is the reverse lights will only illuminate if the ignition switch is on, automatically in reverse or on demand with the switch. The red wire marked "+12 volt switched power in" could be changed to a constant feed if you wish to be able to turn on the reverse lights without having the ignition switch turned on.

*Edit* using this method with terminal #87 attached to the battery you can use any type/size light you want (provided the wire & fuse you use is large enough to carry the current). Likewise you should use the same size wire for terminal #30 as you did to terminal #87

The wire size isn't critical on terminal #85 and #86 as the relay itself draws very little current.

And this chart should help you decide what size wire to run to your lights.
Or you can do it with a relay =)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Whoolieshop....you da man!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You dont really a circuit like with controlled with a relay. Just run Keyed fused 12v to micro then to light + then ground the bulb side.. 90% of Micro switches can handle the circuit load fine!
I tend to err on the side of caution.. Have you seen some of the LED lights people are buying?.... Someone slaps a 400 Watt ebay special pointed backwards and stuff is gonna go up in smoke lol..

·
Banned
546 Posts
I tend to err on the side of caution.. Have you seen some of the LED lights people are buying?.... Someone slaps a 400 Watt ebay special pointed backwards and stuff is gonna go up in smoke lol..
true

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice job WhoolieShop! You are the straight line drawing guy, I'm more of a think it, then do it and if it doesn't work... Figure it out kinda guy when it comes to this stuff so my explanations suck.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Don't over think this guys. It is no different than adding a light bar with the exception that you can add the micro-switch to automatically turn them on when in reverse. Everything else would be the same unless you wanted the ability to turn them on without the ignition on, in which case, you would use a non-switched power source or a direct feed from the battery.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't over think this guys. It is no different than adding a light bar with the exception that you can add the micro-switch to automatically turn them on when in reverse. Everything else would be the same unless you wanted the ability to turn them on without the ignition on, in which case, you would use a non-switched power source or a direct feed from the battery.
Ehhh.... Maybe, depends on what he wants to do. I agree with the overthinking, I shouldn't have touched the thread cuz in my head it's a simple circuit but I get diarrhea of the mouth when I try to explain to someone.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Ehhh.... Maybe, depends on what he wants to do. I agree with the overthinking, I shouldn't have touched the thread cuz in my head it's a simple circuit but I get diarrhea of the mouth when I try to explain to someone.
Haha....I hear ya.....I use the edit button a lot when I type :smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts