Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i used a metal floor scraper i got from Harbor Freight. I heated it up to cherry red and carefully trimmed the paddles to my liking. I trimmed off 20% of each paddle in a staggered pattern.

Tools

Grinder wheel of death, used to smooth out cut

this idea did not work out. I bent some 1/8" solid rod and welded it to a piece of metal and held it with vise grips while heating it cherry red. Without a sharp edge and little material they cooled off fast and would not cut more than 1/4" at a time.

Layout

cutting

all trimmed up and ready for sand

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Yeah grinder wheel-o-death is close enough. Some of those rock bouncer clowns cut theirs with chainsaws, but that's a 42" swamper.
Does it make a noticeable difference to groove a paddle tire?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Those are skat extreme right? I thought only those big ol Stu's need a comp cut.

·
Registered
548 Posts
pretty sure i'd have the guard on the grinder with that wheel....

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah grinder wheel-o-death is close enough. Some of those rock bouncer clowns cut theirs with chainsaws, but that's a 42" swamper.
Does it make a noticeable difference to groove a paddle tire?
i will find out friday this week in Glamis. I am thinking 7.5 paddles are the ticket. Glamis Fan said 8 was a little too much paddle.

Any concern of the paddles tearing now as they have a flat edge to catch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
will have to see, worse case i will have to buy another set of tires.

Those are skat extreme right? I thought only those big ol Stu's need a comp cut.
Skat Extremes yes, its my own thinking that the staggered Extreme is a good combo. Comp cut is when they shave down the carcass to save weight, staggered cut is usually 80/20, 75/25.

·
Registered
548 Posts
and you all give each other a high 3-1/2 to congradulate each other!

Reactions: killnature

·
Registered
548 Posts
I worked in the shipyard in San Diego for a few years... they made me bring my 6" metabo home because they said it was "too dangerous". It's real fun to ring out socket weld pipe fittings when they only let you use a sawzall...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I thought my 8 paddle extremes were too much paddle at first too. After my first ride I was ready to get rid of them or send them to be cut down a bit. By the end of the weekend I loved them. I just bumped up the PSI a bit and ran them hard.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nice trim job!

·
Registered
227 Posts
S.T.U. Blaster pros. 26" #1cut paddle. Perfect set up. The maverick can handle those paddles. The weight savings over stock is about 14lbs each rear tire. They spin faster and they have correct flotation for that size of a machine. I tried all the skats, nothing comes close to the S.T.U.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Is that your blood on the ground!!!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
S.T.U. Blaster pros. 26" #1cut paddle. Perfect set up. The maverick can handle those paddles. The weight savings over stock is about 14lbs each rear tire. They spin faster and they have correct flotation for that size of a machine. I tried all the skats, nothing comes close to the S.T.U.
Thats what I have in an 80/20 cut. worked sweet

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I think my 8 paddle skat's worked great last weekend. I did have to do some tuning on my clutch, and sacraficed some top end. Only saw about 65 mph at the drags ,but that was the only time I had in wide open going for speed all weekend. They duned great, plenty of slide, and pulled hard on the hills. So the clutch setup I have in now is great for the dunes, and my previouse clutch setup was awesome for the hard pack. I'm going to run my sand setup in the clutch this weekend at El Mirage (hard pack) just for shits n giggles and see how it does. If it doesn't perform how I want, I'll switch out springs and weights. I know most won't want to change clutch springs and weights from dirt to sand and back again, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You can. I did one set of weights that way. You know what weights you have in now? I know you have a 1016 spring. I went up 1 finish rate on the spring to a 1017. That holds the primary a little long befor shift out (keeps it a lower gear longer if you will), with 3-2004, and 3-2005 weights, and hold 7900-8000 rpm. Call me, I may have enough weights to get you setup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts