Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for ways to resolve the tire rubbing issue on my 2020 x3 xds 64". I have 33in XTR370 tires with 5+2 offset wheels. Rubs inner fender and skid plate pretty hard.

The options I have found are:
1) Forward offset A arms (limited selection for 64in models)

2) lift kit (but I'm not sure how big or which one)

3) Portals (expensive)

4) Convert to a 72in (expensive)

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? If so what did you do? And were you happy with the result?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
its obvious sandman's still rubs good

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you really think you will notice any 'significant' difference between a 32" tire & those 33"ers?

I hate to state the obvious but you know you are looking at money anyway you try to address this, short of simply throwing wheel extensions on there, but of course we all know that is highly NOT recommended due to handling changes as well as bearing & other wear. Everything else, including buying new tires, going with Portals or widening EVERYTHING is simply money money & mo money. But sometimes restating the obvious helps us to come to terms with the situation so.. '

It is however good to know that 33 inchers rub on a DS because now I know not to go any bigger than 32" when I tire up next buy.

Good luck brother.

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
Try using your stock wheels, or 6+1 wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you really think you will notice any 'significant' difference between a 32" tire & those 33"ers?

I hate to state the obvious but you know you are looking at money anyway you try to address this, short of simply throwing wheel extensions on there, but of course we all know that is highly NOT recommended due to handling changes as well as bearing & other wear. Everything else, including buying new tires, going with Portals or widening EVERYTHING is simply money money & mo money. But sometimes restating the obvious helps us to come to terms with the situation so.. '

It is however good to know that 33 inchers rub on a DS because now I know not to go any bigger than 32" when I tire up next buy.

Good luck brother.
I would agree you would not notice the difference between a 32in and 33in tire. I ended up with these due to availability. Needed tires and I originally wanted 32s but didn't realize the 64in models had rubbing issues so I'm glad I can prevent you from making the same mistake. Unfortunately I have my sight set on 35in tires in the future so I'm going to have to figure something else out besides sticking with smaller tires

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,015 Posts
Why 35's? That just makes way more stress and wear on everything in the front end. Huge weight. Messed up clutching. Noticeable loss of torque and acceleration. Makes your brakes suck even more. Hard on axels. Higher center of gravity on a 64". On and on with no real positives other than ground clearance for rock crawling.

Do as you see fit but why???

Makes absolutely zero sense in my world.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why 35's? That just makes way more stress and wear on everything in the front end. Huge weight. Messed up clutching. Noticeable loss of torque and acceleration. Makes your brakes suck even more. Hard on axels. Higher center of gravity on a 64". On and on with no real positives other than ground clearance for rock crawling.

Do as you see fit but why???

Makes absolutely zero sense in my world.
For exactly the reason you stated... rock climbing. Not just for ground clearance tho the larger diameter your tire the larger rock it will climb. Every negative can be countered with an upgrade. Larger brakes, clutch kits, portals with gearing reduction, larger axles and stronger ball joints list goes on. Lots of rigs run them unfortunately I just didnt realize you need a 72in to do it easily.

We all have our own ways of riding and modifying so I appreciate the input! Cheers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would agree you would not notice the difference between a 32in and 33in tire. I ended up with these due to availability. Needed tires and I originally wanted 32s but didn't realize the 64in models had rubbing issues so I'm glad I can prevent you from making the same mistake. Unfortunately I have my sight set on 35in tires in the future so I'm going to have to figure something else out besides sticking with smaller tires
Thank you sir.

And in your case (dead set on 35's & not buying another ride), you're looking at going Portals or doing the conversion kit to 72"'s. The Portals usually lower your gear ratio as well but I've read here about some riders buying stock 72" suspension parts from guys that are upgrading to aftermarket fairly affordably.

Short of not needing / wanting additional ride height or gear reduction then buying some unwanted stock 72" components is going to be the safest & maybe your particular best bet.

Just my opinion but I hope it helps you.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,015 Posts
For exactly the reason you stated... rock climbing. Not just for ground clearance tho the larger diameter your tire the larger rock it will climb. Every negative can be countered with an upgrade. Larger brakes, clutch kits, portals with gearing reduction, larger axles and stronger ball joints list goes on. Lots of rigs run them unfortunately I just didnt realize you need a 72in to do it easily.

We all have our own ways of riding and modifying so I appreciate the input! Cheers.
If you're looking for a specialized highly modded machine suited for 1 thing by all means have at 'er. Going to be a project!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
You guys should research tires if you think theres no diff between some 32s and 33s. Only thing the same between these two is the weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,867 Posts
Try using your stock wheels, or 6+1 wheels.
Stock off-set will make the tire rubbing worse. You will be bringing the tire inward when it needs to go out more.

OP - the easiest solution would be to go to a 32" tire.

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
Stock off-set will make the tire rubbing worse. You will be bringing the tire inward when it needs to go out more.

OP - the easiest solution would be to go to a 32" tire.
Yeah, realized that later, just didn't go back to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts