Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to the Maverick, just bought a base Mav last week. It is still at the dealer and I can honestly say I have never drove a Mav. I have bought an 800 or 1000 Outlander every year since they have came out and love them. We have had a couple of Commanders on the farm as well, and can honestly say I never cared for them. Hated how they handled very rolly/tippy and top heavy. Never thought I would buy a sxs after driving them.... Then I drove my buddies 900xp, I was shocked how awesome that thing handled. Those things seem to sit so low and and low center of gravity and no rolling suspension it hammers tight corner like it's on rails. Never once felt like it was gonna roll.

So what does a guy need to do to get the most stability out of the Mav? I don't ride anywhere tight so I am thinking try some wheel spacers. If I don't like them I can take them off. What about suspension? I would be willing to give up a some ride to keep it from being rolly. I am guessing try some more pre load on the springs to start with? What about different shocks, is there something out there that has best of both worlds? Better ride through the bumps/whoops and more stability in the corners?

Thanks for any help
Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really??? How does softening the spring not make the car have more body roll?... I always did the opposite with my quads, stiffen the springs a couple notches and it helped a ton for keeping it from diving and body rolling into a corner

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
A lifted truck will have more body roll because of gravity then a lowered truck. Same principle. Adding more preload will help prevent bottoming out as much. But, when you're just cruising around you're not adding any more spring rate. All you're doing is changing the ride height to make it higher. For hanging in the big bowls at Glamis I would have rather have a lower more stable ride then a lifted up tippy ride. Same goes for hanging corners in washes.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
2 inch spacers help, but to be honest with you, that is a feeling of rolling over or not being stable you have. trust me, these will go over on side a great deal before tipping. it feels un natural, like ur about to tip, but you wont. there was a video on you tube showing a popo and cmaverick on a couple of courses and the popo actually tipped over first in 3 of the 4 tests.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 inch spacers help, but to be honest with you, that is a feeling of rolling over or not being stable you have. trust me, these will go over on side a great deal before tipping. it feels un natural, like ur about to tip, but you wont. there was a video on you tube showing a popo and cmaverick on a couple of courses and the popo actually tipped over first in 3 of the 4 tests.
Exactly, I really just hate body roll! Like you said it feels unnatural and I feel like it really takes your confidence away. Unlike the xp where I feel like they really inspire confidence and probably the reason popo tip over because people probably get over confident thinking it will never tip over till the tires hook hard on something and put them on there top lol

Maybe I'm just a pussy need to learn to deal with the body roll... I would love to minimize it as much as I can though. What about shocks, any out there that really help the handling, or they more for the big jump and whoops? I see AReeds shock mod sound very popular although I don't have the 2.5's

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Exactly, I really just hate body roll! Like you said it feels unnatural and I feel like it really takes your confidence away. Unlike the xp where I feel like they really inspire confidence and probably the reason popo tip over because people probably get over confident thinking it will never tip over till the tires hook hard on something and put them on there top lol

Maybe I'm just a pussy need to learn to deal with the body roll... I would love to minimize it as much as I can though. What about shocks, any out there that really help the handling, or they more for the big jump and whoops? I see AReeds shock mod sound very popular although I don't have the 2.5's
Really??? How does softening the spring not make the car have more body roll?... I always did the opposite with my quads, stiffen the springs a couple notches and it helped a ton for keeping it from diving and body rolling into a corner
Don't compare this to your quads if your quads were race quads with a solid rear axle. It is a totally different setup. You need to think of this more like a car/truck than an ATV. Lower your ride height slightly like Alex suggests and see the difference. If you hate the body roll, the only way to correct this is to change to a stiffer sway bar.....or modify the existing one so that it is adjustable.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I run 2" spacer's on mine for added stability and the help alot but they dont do anything to lessen the body roll. that can be control by the sway bar

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Depending on how much shocks are setup for that vehicle they can take the sway almost completely out. That's all based off of where the crossover ring is set. Its something that's very common for the racers but not so much the trail riders.
Like heavy said you need to think of this as a car or truck, not a quad. Body weight can not be shifted like on a quad and its a much larger, heavier contraption bouncin down the trail. Adding a sway bar to the front may help you out some. If you want to talk about setups and what you're trying to accomplish feel free to give me a call.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Alex - have you run without the rear sway bar connected? If so, what was the result.....also, with your shock package, what effect does it have on the body roll if any?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I ran mine without the swaybar for quite a while. But I think I like it better with it on. You get three times the body roll with it disconnected. Although it is a smoother ride, especially when you hit any bumps or square edges catty corner.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I ran mine without the swaybar for quite a while. But I think I like it better with it on. You get three times the body roll with it disconnected. Although it is a smoother ride, especially when you hit any bumps or square edges catty corner.
Did you add any preload when you took it out? I picture it looking like a weeble wobble with it out....

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Alex - have you run without the rear sway bar connected? If so, what was the result.....also, with your shock package, what effect does it have on the body roll if any?
I've never ran without a sway bar but I had a racer over the weekend break one of the end links and he said it was all over the place. We have tons of flexibility with my shock setup so I can cut down on body roll if someone wants or if they don't mind it and know how to drive with it we can keep it similar to stock with a unbelievably plush ride.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I've never ran without a sway bar but I had a racer over the weekend break one of the end links and he said it was all over the place. We have tons of flexibility with my shock setup so I can cut down on body roll if someone wants or if they don't mind it and know how to drive with it we can keep it similar to stock with a unbelievably plush ride.
Thanks Alex - At first, the body roll intimidated me but I am used to it now and know what the limits are. Also, with your recommended shock settings on the stock setup, the back squats nicely on launch......I can't wait to get your shock upgrade.....I need to sell more O-rings :money:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Depending on how much shocks are setup for that vehicle they can take the sway almost completely out. That's all based off of where the crossover ring is set. Its something that's very common for the racers but not so much the trail riders.
Like heavy said you need to think of this as a car or truck, not a quad. Body weight can not be shifted like on a quad and its a much larger, heavier contraption bouncin down the trail. Adding a sway bar to the front may help you out some. If you want to talk about setups and what you're trying to accomplish feel free to give me a call.
Do someone make a front sway bar for the mav?

Alex,

Instead of reducing the preload why hasn't anyone made a kit to raise the top shock attachment points an inch or two? Wouldn't that work? It would lower the mav yet retain the preload which I feel with the type of riding I do is needed.

Just wondering

Dennis

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Does anyone make a different sway bar for the Mav? It would be nice to have an adjustable sway bar so a guy could play with it and see where ya like it best, or even set it up differently for whatever your riding that day.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am learning a lot... still haven't picked the Mav up from the dealer been waaay to cold to ride it around here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts