Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been planning this since I ordered the maverick. I always take the hard route in life and this is no exception. It's all to easy to just order a factory glass but I wanted and need a folding unit for several reasons. No one made one last year so I started gathering materials for the build, here we go
Step 1: create the pattern. Took me 3 tries on this with cardboard but finally figured it out image.jpg
Step 2: transfer to polycarbonate image.jpg
Step 3: had some 1/4 UHMW from work and cut strips. Long first so I could trim later
Step 4: heated strips in front of my bullet and molded around a piece of 2" pipe and clamped till cool
image.jpg
Step5: called my buddy at the glass shop and got some aluminum channel run. I chose 5/16 ID x 1"cuz I wanted to use a glazing rubber with my 1/4 poly to have a snug fit and keep out mud. Will include photo later
Step6: ordered up shouldered bolts(so I didn't crush glass), sleeves and stainless hinges from mcmaster carr.They got everything! Just go to the website and try any search it will amaze you! image.jpg
Step7: test fit lower. Use tape to hold it in place, wrap brackets around roll cage and clamp. Drill and put a couple temporary bolts in so you can align to body and cage. Clamp up angle to keep the glass straight too! image.jpg When all is good drill for sleeves and install shouldered bolts image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Step8: found some rubber lying around to use as spacer to keep glass of the body while I'm working sliced it with razor blade to go up on the glass image.jpg
Step9: had channel run powdered to match the cage and got a little extra powder so I can bake my own hardware and hinges, I just don't have a 48" oven or I would've done all my own powderin. Assembled channels and hinges with no glass and drilled. Got my glazing rubber from moss motors and put it on the glass and carefully hammered the channel on, careful to keep it straight. Drilled poly and installed hinges.
Step 10: assemble and check alignment for the 10th time! image.jpg took it back apart to cut top glass to match cage angle. next will be Powdercoating
Hinges and hardware and I'll prolly be close to being done other than the top glass brackets. Might use Velcro or rubber to make a quick release so I don't have to stop to get fresh air or view
I'll keep you posted on the final product and add any info I forgot. Whew! Would have been easier to order that EMP hard coat, but this is one of a kind stuff which fuels me

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I just built one the week before last. I have the factory 1/2 windshield and a soft top, and i cut my plexy to match how the soft top came over the windsheild and I hinged it up high. I put gas shocks off my tool box lid to raise the middle section when I won't air flow.

I had built this same thing on my xp and it was awesome.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just built one the week before last. I have the factory 1/2 windshield and a soft top, and i cut my plexy to match how the soft top came over the windsheild and I hinged it up high. I put gas shocks off my tool box lid to raise the middle section when I won't air flow.

I had built this same thing on my xp and it was awesome.
got any pics?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts