Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the problem is UTV inc. doesn't sell blue back lit factory switches to match their blue LED labeled switches. So i took one of the factory switches apart and found out it is very easy to change out the amber LED to what ever color you want.

All you need is the new 12V LEDs (i bought mine off e-bay. here is the link Blue LED ) a razor blade (to take the switch apart) and small needle nose pliers.

IMAG1405.jpg
IMAG1426.jpg

With the switch on the work bench pry open both sides of the switch with the razor blade (i found my little flat head screw driver was to big. That's why i used the razor blade)

IMAG1407 web.jpg
IMAG1409.jpg

Be very careful when you separate the two halfs. There are parts that like to fall out before you can see what order they are in. When you get the two halfs apart make sure you take note of the placement of the parts. Some parts can go back in in different directions. But the switch will not work right.

IMAG1410 web.jpg
IMAG1412 web.jpg

This is the LED you will be changing. Keep in mind the placement of the LED leads in the little circles. that is were the LED gets its power.

IMAG1414 web.jpg

Pull the leads out of the plastic and then pull them towards the middle of the switch. This will release the LED from the prongs holding it in place.

IMAG1416.jpg

Pay close attention to the electrodes inside the LED when you pull it out of the switch. Make sure you put the new LED back in the switch the same way the old one came out or the LED will not light. (i use the smaller electrode for reference)

IMAG1423 web.jpg

After you put the new LED in and put the switch back together. Plug it in, turn it on and take look at your new beautiful dash.:in love:

IMAG1418.jpg
IMAG1420.jpg
IMAG1425.jpg
IMAG1428.jpg

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nice write up.... I knew I should have went with the UTC ink blue back lit switchs. I was told there red ones would match. Guess I will be doing RED LEDs in my factory switchs, it will look better anyways being red with my Maverick....;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you

It would have drove me nuts to have two different color switches on my dash.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks Awesome !!!! Nice job...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
great write up!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Very Nice!!
time to order some LED's

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I will be doing this before Little Sahara. Now all we need you to do is give badass instructions on how to do our instrument cluster. Good job!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was thinking about doing that---just FYI a love getting my switches from OTRATTW they might have the blue led's..plus they got alot more then what is on the site..Instead of having the big old turn signal leaver I put a ON momenatary OFF momenary ON switch for my turn signals right on the dash...just throwing out ideas....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for great write-up. Just one more thing to do....haha.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks again Jay. I got mine all changed out today with LEDs from Super Bright LEDs. RL5-B5515 Blue LED are the ones I used.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
thanks for sharing this with us and great details and images on the how-to!

·
Banned
122 Posts
Did this over the weekend, worked great! One thing to note, with the 2014 models that have "eco" mode, the two led's leads are soldered together . You can snip them and re-solder or simply twist together...

5 leds is not enough! order the 10 pack!

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
On the Eco mode switch I cannot seem to get my sport led to light up. What are the diodes in there for? And can anyone give me a picture to compare to? I changed mine all to red just can't get the sport mode switch to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Can someone help me out? I cannot get my sport mode led to light up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
Can someone help me out? I cannot get my sport mode led to light up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diodes only work one way, if you reverse them, they won't light - did you try turning the diode around ?

Reactions: Bacher
1 - 20 of 59 Posts