Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, don't make fun but I bought a complete rage 3 set up in August (late August ). Life happened tried a bunch to get the time to install. Everytime I went to do it something else pops up. Finally the last straw was work just getting to busy. Thank god for that, but it puts me at work from 7-7:30 most times 8:00. So I took my Maverick up to the Can Am dealer because the shop manager n I went to school together since grade school so I felt I could trust em. They put them on,tuned em n sent me on my way. Well not saying it's there fault but with in two miles my one way bearing was froze/in pieces inside the primary. So STM the awesome company they are fixed it in record time. STM said they weren't sure how this happened but they didn't blame anyone they just fixed it n sent it back. Now my Maverick has been up at the dealer during this time so as soon as I got the primary back I brought it to them and gave them a couple numbers to call if any questions. Now it could have been a fluke that this happened..not bad tuning, right?? So I get a call last night from my friend / shop manager. He said J it's done.. I said that was quick (they had the primary a day) I asked "did it tune ok" he said he won't put his life on it but it feels good the little bit they can test around the shop. WOW really made me feel insecure about the whole thing. I'm picking it up this morning around 10:30. -11:00 what can I look for to see if it ok. I know shifting might be hard because of the new belt but is there anything I can listen for or feel. I'm just kicking myself in the rear for not just doing it one night but I really don't know crap bout a clutch. He said the first time I got it back he added two shims n that was it. I'm gonna drive it around their shop a little then take it out to a local field to test. OH YEA when the bearing froze I asked them to put my stock clutches back on n he said I needed to come look at them. I don't know what the hell I'm looking at but they did look OLD, the smooth inside where the belt rides looked like a scared up break rotor so if this doesn't work I don't know what the heck to do. The only other shop in our town has had a maverick for 3months trying to tune a QSC that's eating belts in couple hundred feet. The owner said he can't figure it out :shocked: I do wanna say STM has been great though the whole thing. They even gave me cell phone #s to call if I needed anything,that's awesome

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller.......

Bueller..............

B u e l l e r................

:haha:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
STMs recommended setup should be close but at this point I think you are more concerned about nothing breaking right away. New belt or not it should shift easily if the deflection is set properly. Ultimately you will probably need to tweak the setup a bit to get it perfect.

Regarding your stock clutches, it sounds like you got some sand in there and it chewed up your clutch sheaves. It is very important to keep stuff out of there or you will chew up the clutches and your belt very quickly

Reactions: LBSwank

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right on the money with the stock clutches the cvt housing wasn't sealed n water n sand got in a couple times.

Ok, I'm on my way to pick her up I will make sure it's not as hard to shift as it was last time. I won't be able to take it to a test area till after work so I jus hope they got it close enough that nothing will break on me, got a huge weekend planned. We have been plaining this weekend for a while too, you know that feeling you just don't want anything to mess up. Thank you heavy, I'll let ya no how it feels

·
Registered
806 Posts
Heavy, I think he is talkin about shifting into gear, not upshifting in the secondary. If the dealer added 2 shims like you said swank, it sould go into gear alot easier. I had the same issue with my qsc.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I just picked I up. It goes into gear way better. Also this time it actually had some dirt on it so I know they tested it. That alone makes me feel better. The little bit I got to drive it was in the little retention pond in the back. It felt good I was in high n it felt like it was engaging a little later than usual but I mostly ride in low so idk. They had 30 bikes coming in n out so I will do the true test tonight after work when I have some time to listen, feel, n evaluate. But it feels 100% different. Before it was HARD to shift almost felt like I was breaking something when trying to get it out/in gear. Also I could hear what sounded like bits of the belt coming through the snorkel , I guess it was part of the bearing cause the belt looked ok. I'll listen for that again. Other than that is there anything I should be lookin for or listening for, I just don't wanna get 2hours away from home n blaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I think your just gun shy. Not that I blame you, but but you should be golden. If you don't trust it yet, then just stick close to home or camp till you feel confident it's not going handgrenade on you.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Heavy, I think he is talkin about shifting into gear, not upshifting in the secondary. If the dealer added 2 shims like you said swank, it sould go into gear alot easier. I had the same issue with my qsc.
gotcha....That's what I was also referring too. adding the shims will loosen the belt tension and keep it from trying to spin the secondary at idle.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think your just gun shy. Not that I blame you, but but you should be golden. If you don't trust it yet, then just stick close to home or camp till you feel confident it's not going handgrenade on you.
You could be right on the Money Andy

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gotcha....That's what I was also referring too. adding the shims will loosen the belt tension and keep it from trying to spin the secondary at idle.
In two hours I will let you know if it's moving or siting, but I'm feeling better about it this time. I'm squeezing outta work at 5 tonight work done or not I'm out. So I'll post once I see how she feels under true riding conditions. Big thanks for the help

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andy hit it on the nose.... I was a scared lil girl
I took her out last nite n she did great. At first outta the whole it's was jumping to 7200rpm I was so impressed with the way it felt I was happy with 7200 then talked to Kris n he said that was low. After talking to him a little we figured out I'm a moron n I needed to drop it into low n hit my sport bypass as the clutches were tuned for low / with bypass on. Anyway shes All Good Now. Thanks Heavy, you have answered A Lot of questions for me ( reading through your threads n answering questions I post ) and I really appreciate that. I wish we had some more guys like you on the East coast. I can say you could make some money here. And to who ever says they can't get a hold of Kris hasn't really tried. Yea it may take some time to get back to ya but he does when he is free. 8:00 last night he was on the phone with me n when I had my bearing issue he was on the phone with me and this was two months after I bought the clutches.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Andy hit it on the nose.... I was a scared lil girl
I took her out last nite n she did great. At first outta the whole it's was jumping to 7200rpm I was so impressed with the way it felt I was happy with 7200 then talked to Kris n he said that was low. After talking to him a little we figured out I'm a moron n I needed to drop it into low n hit my sport bypass as the clutches were tuned for low / with bypass on. Anyway shes All Good Now. Thanks Heavy, you have answered A Lot of questions for me ( reading through your threads n answering questions I post ) and I really appreciate that. I wish we had some more guys like you on the East coast. I can say you could make some money here. And to who ever says they can't get a hold of Kris hasn't really tried. Yea it may take some time to get back to ya but he does when he is free. 8:00 last night he was on the phone with me n when I had my bearing issue he was on the phone with me and this was two months after I bought the clutches.
Thanks man….I believe in what comes around goes around. I help where I can and learn from others where I am lacking……glad she is dialed in for you now :smile:

Reactions: LBSwank
1 - 12 of 12 Posts