Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading a bunch of the threads on the bearing grease issues.. I am doing the X3 this week, but one thing that intrigues me is the fact Can-am did and continues to pack the bearings so lightly while all the videos we see here show people pumping in 20 or so pump to the point the grease is coming out the seals.

So I don't disagree that adding grease is a good idea.

My dilemma is how much to add.. There must be a reason they are not packed overflowing from factory.. Grease is dirt cheap so they aren't saving money by under greasing.

Thoughts?

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Some pros I have heard of of, race teams, say do not add more grease. I know I didn't and never had an issue. Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm one of those who packed it full with 25 pumps or so. I've only got about 700 miles on it since I did that so I don't really have anything good or bad to report.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
I'm one of those who packed it full with 25 pumps or so. I've only got about 700 miles on it since I did that so I don't really have anything good or bad to report.
The "good" is that you did do it!

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
Definitely just a few pumps if at all. And definitely not 15-25 until full. Soon as it heats up starts blowing out.

I do not grease mine personally.

Justin from Shock Therapy says never grease them. And that more grease in fact creates more heat retention and therefore wear. I will go with what he says personally. They pound machines hard daily and have more experience that most people by far.

2 schools of thought. Grease them or don't. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
957 Posts
one thing that everyone is forgetting when they give advice is your own personal riding conditions.......most advice comes from dry climate dessert riders.......are you riding hi and dry or wet and muddy ?

west coast peeps use less and grease less often......east coast peeps pump up the volume, pump up the volume, pump up the jam, dance, dance..put the needle on the record when the drum beat goes like this

couple ideas ......fill the passenger side and lightly grease the driver side and see which side causes an issue (neither:).....or somewhere in between might be the best choice, dont under grease and dont over grease

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
If you ride in wet muddy conditions I would say give it a few squirts of grease. If you are in a dry desert type environment I got almost 7900 miles that says you don't need to add any grease.

Or do what Mudskipper suggested and see which one last longer.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I just finished all my wheel bearings 10 min ago .....beer and report time :)
I did the rears yesterday and one front .....just finished the other front. Last greasing was 250-300 miles ago and they were completely filled.

all my bearings had to be pumped full to purge the old grease out .....it was pretty nasty , you could see a light tan color in the red grease indicating water contamination, some dirt was also noticeable. I had to pump a ton of grease in to purge old grease and fill with new ...../impossible for me to lightly grease even if I wanted to. Rears were a little low and not as contaminated as the fronts .....they still took a lot of grease to get the old grease out and see new grease coming out.

like I said earlier I lost a rear bearing/hub/brakes because I didn’t lube them , I had under 1000 miles on them. The other side was bone dry at the time and about to seize. When I fill them full they purge what they don’t need .

I’m wonder if the bearings all come with different amounts of grease from the factory ? Like did mine maybe have a little less than sand sharks bearings ? Is it a person hand filling them ? Doesn’t can am outsource the bearings ?

long story short I would lightly grease non water / mud riding bearings and fully fill and purge water and mud riding vehicles.

too much grease causes the needle bearings inside to have to push and overcome the excess grease and that causes friction and that causes heat.......for the average person riding it won’t make a difference .......maybe running very fast for a very long extended time in the desert would make them overly hot ???? But people generally take breaks and things cool off ......heck the shocks and rotors would would be hot as hell from extended high speed running also

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Tmesic and Odyknuck

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
186 Posts
I pumped mine with grease until it started coming out. They aren't sealed bearings, excess grease will just push past the dust seals.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Did you notice if you pushed any dirty/contaminated grease out ?

Look at it this way ......there are hundreds of people that had a bearing seize from lack of grease and I know of zero bearing failures from filling them full

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long did it take you? Trying to budget time to get this done? Figured 4-5 hours for a first time go around?

Mike

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree with Mudskiper on purging the grease if your and east coast rider. I did not grease the wheel bearings on my Wildcat and I was lucky to get 200 miles out of them due to the mud and water they injest. I grease my X3 bearings and only had to replace one due to a cracked race. To each his own I suppose.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
186 Posts
Did you notice if you pushed any dirty/contaminated grease out ?

Look at it this way ......there are hundreds of people that had a bearing seize from lack of grease and I know of zero bearing failures from filling them full
Just the dirt that was on the dust seals.

·
Registered
957 Posts
How long did it take you? Trying to budget time to get this done? Figured 4-5 hours for a first time go around?

Mike
the first time or the 6th time ? Lol.

If you don’t have the shop manual then download it .......one of the best “accessories” you can buy.
did you already by the bearing grease adapter ?

you have an x3 , you can grease with the axles in place, it’s a pretty easy and quick job for you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the first time or the 6th time ? Lol.

If you don’t have the shop manual then download it .......one of the best “accessories” you can buy.
did you already by the bearing grease adapter ?

you have an x3 , you can grease with the axles in place, it’s a pretty easy and quick job for you
Yup got the adapter, grease gun and grease and got the 30mm axel nut socket as I didn't have that in my set (too large)

Mike

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
I'm at 3300 miles no grease. Hit my share of mud and water. Bearings all still good.

We will see how it goes. But one thing is for sure, they haven't failed between 200-1000 miles like some of you guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts