Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many ppl's mavericks are hitting the 8000 rpm all the time. Today riding down the dirt roads, when I pin the throttle it'll only shoot up to 7500-7400 and then fall to 7000 and doesn't feal real impressive when it's only 7000 rpm. I can feal it shift out in the upper mph almost like its hitting second gear, I think that's the weak secondary spring I've heard talked about here. What can I do to have it hit 8000 rpm every time I pin it?? As of now I'm not overly impressed with the power that all you guys say it has. I mean at 35 mph and I pin it and it only hits 7000 rpm it feels like a terd. Could the dealer possibly have programmed it wrong, like maybe put the commander software in it when the programmed my key....is that even possible..I think if it would always hit 8000 rpm it would be an animal.

·
Registered
998 Posts
yes, mine does the exact same thing. I have a stiffer secondary spring waiting to be installed. Its suppose to fix this problem. I talked to kelly at kms performance and he said this was the fix so we will see. I bought my spring through adam at airdam clutches

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gonna pm you earlier and see how that spring worked. I haven't raced anybody yet but I would second guess that this thing would beat a commander or an xp. Sometimes it just has me worried that it would lose. I can't figure out how all these other guys that have the mav out west in the dunes aren't having this happen cause it seems like my mav wouldn't make it up those dunes with the power it sometimes has.

Did they dive you west coast guys different clutching?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Dont worry about a xp, I just outrun one today on pavement by about a length in a half and about 2 lengths on dirt. Thats still with the old spring in, I still havent swapped the springs out.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have that not so impressed with the power sometimes feeling? I mean the low end is strong but once it start shifting out the rpms just aren't there to pull this thing.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yeah I was expecting more, once mine starts shifting it'll drop in rpm and feel like its dragging. Did you see my other thread of my maverick and another maverick speedometer and rpm comparison?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I aint hittin the magic 7900-8000 rpm either. Best I'm seeing is a spike to 7750, then falling off to 7450-7500. I've run both the stock secondary spring and the Dalton purple/black secondary spring I got from Airdam. No difference for me.:disappointed:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hmm I cant figure this out, Ive seen a maverick hold 8k on youtube but maybe it had more done to it

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
As long as you're at 7700 or above I wouldn't worry about it. If you're at 7500 that's not in the peak power of the engine but anything 7700 and above is. The clutching on my race rig will be set to 77-7800 from Kris.

·
Registered
998 Posts
mine shifts out around 45-50 mph and my rpm will drop to 7300 and then start working its way up

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine shifts out around 45-50 mph and my rpm will drop to 7300 and then start working its way up
That's how mines seems. I was cruseing at about 45 and pinned it and it was like I was dragging something behind me, just a low engine sound not that screaming you would think it would have. I would love to get this figured out, my xp didn't do that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You guys are funny! Do u not know what torque is and a clean smooth linear power curve ! The hi revving xp may have the seat of the pants feel, but race one and you will see the power is just so linear you don't realize this thing is haulin ass!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are funny! Do u not know what torque is and a clean smooth linear power curve ! The hi revving xp may have the seat of the pants feel, but race one and you will see the power is just so linear you don't realize this thing is haulin ass!

That's what I've bin thinking to but sometimes it's just not pulling like other times. That video c.moore posted is how this should be all the time not sometimes 7000. You don't realize how dogish it feels when it's only pulling at 7000 rpms

·
Registered
998 Posts

I understand that, but its been well documented peak power is between 7700 rpm or so. So if my clutch shifts out to early from a soft secondary spring lets use a 6 speed camaro for example, its like shifting from 1st to 3rd skipping 2nd gear. Youre out of your ideal rpm range and some adjustments needs to made.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was there a bad batch of springs or did they think this one was good.

·
Registered
998 Posts
From what kms performance told me and I'm quoting them is that some mavericks would stay in the sweet spot and some would drop off like mine and yours and the fix was the spring from airdam. usaguy's done the same thing and he said the spring fixed his.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm gonna try this spring, what do I need to tell Adam so I get the right spring and how much is it?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Also I think my mav has more low end seat of the paints feel then my xp did, it's just falling of the rpm to low and it feels slugish

·
Registered
998 Posts
Just call adam and tell him you're seeing a big rpm drop when secondary starts shifting out, he'll know what your talking about. You can probably mention my name (colbey moore) or tom was having the same issue. Just describe your problem and he should know exactly whats up. I think I got the spring and primary bolt for 60 or 70$ I aint really sure

1 - 20 of 459 Posts