Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My belt blew today with 180 miles on it. Was just putzing around my yard and then took it out on my dirt road for a quick burn, punched it and got to about 60-65 and boom the belt snapped. Towed it back with my truck and got it in the garage to investigate. When the belt blew it took out the outer and inner covers, bet is all wound up in the secondary. Kinda BS if you ask me. I had it out in the dunes last weekend and I noticed on the second day I heard a rattle coming from the clutch area that I never noticed before. Called my dealer and he said its "normal" so I just decided to keep riding it. Of course the first time I take it out after talking to him the belt grenades and takes out the covers. Should all these parts be warrantied? I've only had the thing less then a month and it hasnt even finished the 10 hour break in. Also I noticed the one way bearing on the primary when you spin it, it makes a click once per revolution. Is this normal? Really bummed, my local dealer says they wont be able to even look at it for a week! I love have a brand new machine that is a big paperweight. I've seen pics of other peoples belts breaking but not destroying the covers in the process. :sad:

·
Registered
211 Posts
The first day I took mine out I rode for 180 miles. No problems. Second time out I rode for 90 miles. No problems. 3rd time out I rode for 160 miles. No problems again. Maybe I'm just lucky! :cool2:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pfft. Lol. Sounds like you do some serious riding. I've only had mine on 1 real trip to the dunes, everything else has been just dirt roads and on my property, so its not like I could really even beat on it. I wasnt easy on it at the dunes, but who and the hell buys a maverick to be easy on it? This is the first new thing I've bought that I've had any problems with. Kinda making me rethink my purchase. Isnt there some sort of law that you can return it if you arent happy? It's a blast to drive but after reading all these clutch nightmares, its really making me wonder if I made the right decision. I would understand if it was heavily modified running bug tires and whatnot, but its stock! And these thing were designed to be driven hard especially in the dunes

·
Registered
232 Posts
425 miles, still on original belt. Most of those miles are in Glamis dunes. Maybe 50 in the desert. Sounds like yours does not like to be putzed around on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Did you break in the belt? Sounds like your first trip was at the dunes. Kinda hard to break in a belt properly at the dunes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put 120 miles before I took it to the dunes, so I would assume it was broke in by then. That driving consisted of mainly backroading with varied throttle. I always gave then engine time to warm up, never just hammered it from a cold start

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have 120 miles also and plan to take it to the dunes in a couple weeks. I hope I'm not a repeat of the same disaster. Where did you buy your Maverick from SS90?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 120 miles also and plan to take it to the dunes in a couple weeks. I hope I'm not a repeat of the same disaster. Where did you buy your Maverick from SS90?
I bought mine from Grace Performance in Kimball. Its about a 2 hour drive from me, I live Southwest of Flint, but they are the dealer that gave me the best price. I was just crossing my fingers that I wouldnt have any problems to where I would need to take it back for warranty work. C and C sports in Brighton is closest to me, but they said it would be atleast a week before they could even look at it. I was thinking to myself what is there to look at? I tore it apart, just take your pictures and see that it busted the covers and order me some parts! So I will be taking to to Vehicle City in Flint, they told me they would be able to get in in within a day or so..

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
sounds like u did not do proper break in on the belt ,

also

yours is the first we seen with such low miles to break !!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like u did not do proper break in on the belt ,

also

yours is the first we seen with such low miles to break !!!
What is the proper break in? My dealer told me to drive the hell out of it, just dont keep it at a steady RPM for long periods of time, which I did not do

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
the first 30 miles be easy on it drive it normal , fast slow fast slow , and sum medium driving lol

running it hard flooring it keeping it floored ruins the belt on break in , tell the dealer they own u a new belt , lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the first 30 miles be easy on it drive it normal , fast slow fast slow , and sum medium driving lol

running it hard flooring it keeping it floored ruins the belt on break in , tell the dealer they own u a new belt , lol
I never kept it floored...varied speeds.

I'll be biting the bullet and making the 2 hour drive to the dealer I purchased it from. They are a platinum dealer and can make the call to order the parts and get me back riding without having to make a claim and go through all that hoopla. Sounds like its going to be all covered under warranty, since the damn thing isnt even broke in yet. I wasnt real hard on it until last weekend at the dunes which by then it had about 120 miles on it

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I try to break my belts in by driving it about 50 miles and usually around 50 mph, with a little varying of the throttle. That will give it plenty of time for the belt to seat in to the angles on the primary and secondary.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I drove the crap out of mine from the beginning. Just varied the rpm's but on it!
My factory belt had 409 miles on it when I put my new clutches on. So I put a new belt on to start for this season and will use my factory belt as a back up. But my belt looked really good with only slight glazing on the sides from factory clutch slippage.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You need to run the belt thru a few heat cycles to break it in properly. No WOT, and vary your speed for about a 15 min run. Let the belt cool down for abour 15 min or more. Repeat cycle 3 times. I had 750 miles on my original belt befor it blew. I did not break it in properly (WFO from 1st ride on), and abused the hell out of it. Both new belts I have will get done correctly, and one will go into the tool kit, already broke in and ready to run. That way, if I do blow a belt, I'm not gunna be stuck out in the boonies putt putt'n to break in the belt. BTW, when mine blew, it pretty much destroyed my outer cover, but the inner cover was fine.

I know why mine blowed up. Concidering the abuse I gave it, it wasn't unexpected.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
alba just came out with a sweet belt temp gauge set up $125

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I added a CVT blower to help (hopefully), along with getting an STM secondary.Maybe adding guage might help, knowing just how hot shits getting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need to run the belt thru a few heat cycles to break it in properly. No WOT, and vary your speed for about a 15 min run. Let the belt cool down for abour 15 min or more. Repeat cycle 3 times. I had 750 miles on my original belt befor it blew. I did not break it in properly (WFO from 1st ride on), and abused the hell out of it. Both new belts I have will get done correctly, and one will go into the tool kit, already broke in and ready to run. That way, if I do blow a belt, I'm not gunna be stuck out in the boonies putt putt'n to break in the belt. BTW, when mine blew, it pretty much destroyed my outer cover, but the inner cover was fine.

I know why mine blowed up. Concidering the abuse I gave it, it wasn't unexpected.
Mine broke a few of the bolt tabs off towards the front of the inner cover. There is also burnt rubber all over the belt surface of both clutches. I was doing 60+ WFO when it blew, so maybe thats why there is so much destruction. Its got me concerned that every time it blows a belt that its gonna break the damn housing.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Makes you wonder why BRP didn't make the CVT cover out of aluminum. Seems like at least the outer cover is going to get some damage every time a belt breaks.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts